Yoogi's - incorrect date code

I bought a Celine Phantom on Yoogi's. I love the bag, but after taking some photos of it today for insurance purposes, I've noticed that the date was misrepresented by Yoogi's (it's a 2012, not 2014). It's not the end of the world, but it does make the bag twice as old as I expected it to be, and I just feel a bit... deceived isn't quite the right word, but I'm sure you all understand. I don't have the best eyes, and the date code on their site is still hard for me to read.

I like my bag and don't want to let it go, but also because I've used the bag daily and added some wear and tear to it that wasn't there when I got it - IMO, this lag can no longer be listed as 'like new,' meaning Yoogis loses as well.

I've had it 2 months. It was my mistake that I could trust them to have the year of manufacture right, since I assumed during their verification of authenticity, they'd figure this out.
Ugh! My advice would have been somewhat different had you told us UP FRONT that you'd had the bag and used it for 2 months!

As buyers, we need to take some responsibility and that means to verify that what we buy is delivered in the condition as we expect as well as received as described. We can't assume that they didn't do a typo or misread the date code. They're human just as you are and just as you didn't read the date code and admit to still having trouble, it's understandable that they might have erred too.

As I'd said earlier, I'm not usually an advocate of partials because it's become too commonplace for buyers to seek partials as a way to secure a better (lower) price than they'd agreed to. At first, I thought a partial would be appropriate on a 2-year older bag than you thought you were getting.

However, now that you've disclosed adding wear and tear after 2 months of use, I don't feel that a partial should be expected.

For the record, you keep referring to the bag as being "twice as old" as they claimed and while in the literal sense, that's correct, it's more accurate to say it's 2 years older than they claimed.

Ugh! My advice would have been somewhat different had you told us UP FRONT that you'd had the bag and used it for 2 months!

As buyers, we need to take some responsibility and that means to verify that what we buy is delivered in the condition as we expect as well as received as described. We can't assume that they didn't do a typo or misread the date code. They're human just as you are and just as you didn't read the date code and admit to still having trouble, it's understandable that they might have erred too.

As I'd said earlier, I'm not usually an advocate of partials because it's become too commonplace for buyers to seek partials as a way to secure a better (lower) price than they'd agreed to. At first, I thought a partial would be appropriate on a 2-year older bag than you thought you were getting.

However, now that you've disclosed adding wear and tear after 2 months of use, I don't feel that a partial should be expected.

For the record, you keep referring to the bag as being "twice as old" as they claimed and while in the literal sense, that's correct, it's more accurate to say it's 2 years older than they claimed.

I understand, lol. I thought I had mentioned it :doh: but you're right, it is an important factor. I do still think it's kind of them to offer to accept the return, but, because I've used it (and because I like it), that's not something I feel that great about. Also - the reason I keep saying it's twice as old is just because if it were a 1997 bag or something, sure, 2 years is negligible. To me, doubling the age I thought it was is a bigger deal, though obviously it's not to everyone else.

Like I said, it's really not a huge deal - I started the post to share my experience and to get some advice. Whether they offer a different solution or stick with the return offer, the sun will come up tomorrow :angel:

I understand, lol. I thought I had mentioned it :doh: but you're right, it is an important factor. I do still think it's kind of them to offer to accept the return, but, because I've used it (and because I like it), that's not something I feel that great about. Also - the reason I keep saying it's twice as old is just because if it were a 1997 bag or something, sure, 2 years is negligible. To me, doubling the age I thought it was is a bigger deal, though obviously it's not to everyone else.

Like I said, it's really not a huge deal - I started the post to share my experience and to get some advice. Whether they offer a different solution or stick with the return offer, the sun will come up tomorrow :angel:
How much would it cost to send the bag back? You can try to ask them to give that amount to you back as a discount on this item. They are willing to fork out that money anyway, so why not give it to you and save them the hassle to re-list, besides you have worn it, instead of giving it to the post office.

How much would it cost to send the bag back? You can try to ask them to give that amount to you back as a discount on this item. They are willing to fork out that money anyway, so why not give it to you and save them the hassle to re-list, besides you have worn it, instead of giving it to the post office.

Their response was that they are declining to offer any additional discount. They stated that they would list the bag for the same price whether it was a 2012 or 2014. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

C'est la vie

Is there a vast difference in quality or materials between the two years? Is the 2014 more special in some way than the 2012?
I know nothing about Celine obviously.

From what I read here in the various forums, an older bag might actually be more desirable as the quality is usually better. I know that is true with Prada

Their response was that they are declining to offer any additional discount. They stated that they would list the bag for the same price whether it was a 2012 or 2014. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

C'est la vie

Blargh, too bad. :sad: At least you tried. After taking a look at the photos on Yoogi's and the description, I can see where anyone would have missed that last digit (I know zilch about Celine and had to go back and look really closely myself for the difference). I still feel like they could have given you some credit just as a form of goodwill, and am a bit surprised they haven't because I've always had great experiences with them, but ah well, c'est la vie indeed.

ETA: The one thing I think is NOT cool is them changing the info after the fact. If you had returned the bag and they resold it with the corrected info, that's fine. But for them to change it maybe to cover their tracks is sneaky IMO. I could be reading way too much into it, but whatever, good thing you have screenshots.

Reactions: whateve
I don't know enough about Celine bags but I do follow Yoogi's pretty frequently. IMO, a 2 year gap may make a difference (small) in some brands but I don't think it matters much for Celine. Again, I'm not expert in Celine and could definitely be wrong. Unless there is a specific reason why this 2 year gap bothers you that much, I say just let it go and enjoy your bag as it looks gorgeous. If you absolutely can not stand the extra 2 years, I would suggest selling it yourself. Personally, I do not feel comfortable returning something that I have used for months and put wear on it, but that's just me.

here's my take on Celine - regardless of production year, I'd be buying a secondhand bag based on its quality and condition. on that note, Yoogi's always provides several photos that one can zoom in for a closer look. They and Fashionphile do a great job with photos, you can see every pimple and crumb! Celine bags change constantly and aren't always repeated so if you missed out on something, the only way to acquire it is through the secondary market. For example, your Phantom with orange piping was a one off and not repeated so if that's what you had wanted, then 2012 was the only year for which it was available.

one can do some research to see when a particular color combo was issued (see Celine reference thread for example). some classic colors get reissued every year (black, souris, dune etc) so it's possible to get different types of leather in the same color depending on the year. however it's ENTIRELY possible that a 2012 bag can be in better condition than a 2014 edition, as it comes down to the prior owner and how well she maintained it as logic would dictate. just like a used car, a newer year model isn't necessarily better than an older car. it depends how many miles the car has racked up amongst other criteria.

Yoogi's fessed up to their error and offered to refund, and that was the right thing to do. as for modifying the listing info after the sale, they had to do that because the date tag clear specified what year it was manufactured. to ignore the mistake or to leave it unchanged would just be wrong and could render the item inauthentic. there was a post recently under Celine on this very same issue about the black embossed croc Phantom with 2016 production date that according the official Celine rep, the company never re-issued after the 2011-12 cycle. this is a case where a newer bag isn't better or even genuine.

Last edited:
For example, your Phantom with orange piping was a one off and not repeated so if that's what you had wanted, then 2012 was the only year for which it was available.

I had wondered if this was the case - thank you for your post!

The bag is in lovely condition, there's no doubt about that, and between that and the color combination I love, that's why I knew returning it wouldn't happen :love:

here's my take on Celine - regardless of production year, I'd be buying a secondhand bag based on its quality and condition. on that note, Yoogi's always provides several photos that one can zoom in for a closer look. They and Fashionphile do a great job with photos, you can see every pimple and crumb! Celine bags change constantly and aren't always repeated so if you missed out on something, the only way to acquire it is through the secondary market. For example, your Phantom with orange piping was a one off and not repeated so if that's what you had wanted, then 2012 was the only year for which it was available.

one can do some research to see when a particular color combo was issued (see Celine reference thread for example). some classic colors get reissued every year (black, souris, dune etc) so it's possible to get different types of leather in the same color depending on the year. however it's ENTIRELY possible that a 2012 bag can be in better condition than a 2014 edition, as it comes down to the prior owner and how well she maintained it as logic would dictate. just like a used car, a newer year model isn't necessarily better than an older car. it depends how many miles the car has racked up amongst other criteria.

Yoogi's fessed up to their error and offered to refund, and that was the right thing to do. as for modifying the listing info after the sale, they had to do that because the date tag clear specified what year it was manufactured. to ignore the mistake or to leave it unchanged would just be wrong and could render the item inauthentic. there was a post recently under Celine on this very same issue about the black embossed croc Phantom with 2016 production date that according the official Celine rep, the company never re-issued after the 2011-12 cycle. this is a case where a newer bag isn't better or even genuine.

Agree here & your point with regard to modifying the year of production was the right thing to do

Since the bag was advertised as in "like new" condition I would be over the moon happy and thanking my lucky stars to find a bag that I coveted, no matter the year.
Funny what people worry about. If the bag was in poor condition I could see raising an issue but since it's nearly perfect who cares that it's 2 years older than was stated.....a simple mistake was made and I'm sure they don't want to be in the business of giving "partial" refunds.
What a nightmare for them once that word spreads!
Enjoy your bag and be happy that Yoogi's was open to do the right thing by you and give you a full return if you so desired.

Since the bag was advertised as in "like new" condition I would be over the moon happy and thanking my lucky stars to find a bag that I coveted, no matter the year.
Funny what people worry about.

I'm impressed that you wouldn't have cared about buying something (expensive, no less) that was not represented properly. I don't think my inner zen has reached that level yet, lol.

Wow, I didn't think authenticity would be an issue from a typo or a mis-stated production date on the listing since the code is correct and shown on the photos (albeit a bit hard to read), but glad you mentioned it, especially considering the issue with the croc Phantom. In that case, I revise my earlier opinion and agree that Yoogi's was right for correcting the error on their site post-purchase.

Reactions: Love Of My Life