Yikes--People are contacting my bidders on an ended auction!

Oct 29, 2006
Hi, my first handbag auction just ended on Sunday (it went really smoothly, and I got more for my bag than I thought I would!). Today I found a message in my inbox from another bidder, who said they'd received a message (not from my user ID) that stated that I was accepting their non-winning bid! They were suspicious so they e-mailed me, and I of course told them I didn't send that message. The weird thing is, this person wasn't even the 2nd highest bidder. Do you think someone's trying to scam all my bidders--should I send messages warning them? And why would my auction (which ended on less than $200) be the target of a scam? Has this happened to anyone before? I guess I should have made my bidders list private, but I didn't expect the auction to go to more than $150, and usually I only see private auctions for really expensive ($500+) items.

Hi, my first handbag auction just ended on Sunday (it went really smoothly, and I got more for my bag than I thought I would!). Today I found a message in my inbox from another bidder, who said they'd received a message (not from my user ID) that stated that I was accepting their non-winning bid! They were suspicious so they e-mailed me, and I of course told them I didn't send that message. The weird thing is, this person wasn't even the 2nd highest bidder. Do you think someone's trying to scam all my bidders--should I send messages warning them? And why would my auction (which ended on less than $200) be the target of a scam? Has this happened to anyone before? I guess I should have made my bidders list private, but I didn't expect the auction to go to more than $150, and usually I only see private auctions for really expensive ($500+) items.

Did these bidders receive the emails through ebay?
Did you check your sent messages folder?

It doesn't matter, someone is contacting your bidders and that is a no no, besides they are more than likely up to no good.

Get the ebay id or the email addy and report to ebay.

I checked my sent messages--only messages I sent. I don't know if my bidder got it through ebay... but she did say it was sent from an ebay ID different than mine.

I am 99% sure its a SCAM! Last month I bid on and won a pair of Gucci Sandals - Sandals were in US, I am in London.

I received a 2nd chance offer a few days after paying and contacted the seller - it was a scam from someone using a 'Highjacked Dormant' Account.

Report it ASAP, so that account can be closed down...

PS: I received the Sandals they were lovely and Seller was great too...