Yellowing - Do white bags turn yellow with time? How do you prevent this?

Hello,

I was quite upset about the stains on my Chanel classic white flap. 😔 When I visited the store to inquire about treating it, they unfortunately said no. They offered a refund in credit instead. I purchased the bag in 2022, and now its price has probably increased by around USD 2,100 or more. I'm upset that I'll have to pay extra to buy another small flap. I'm wondering if it's worth it. Should I keep my bag or let it go? What would you do in my situation?

What stains? Did you return it?
Trying to follow :smile:

Is yours brand new? Sorry, trying to follow still. You have a bag, it's new and you want to exchange?
I bought it in 2022 and it turned yellow. It is only recently I decided to bring it to the store. They can’t fix it but can only refund store credit. :sad: not sure if I want to let go or get a store credit.

I bought it in 2022 and it turned yellow. It is only recently I decided to bring it to the store. They can’t fix it but can only refund store credit. :sad: not sure if I want to let go or get a store credit.
I am so sorry to hear about the yellowing on your bag. I am actually pleasantly surprised to read that they will offer you a store credit. For the most part, historically, they have typically said it is the natural aging process of a white bag and not usually considered a defect. Please note that if you do decide to replace the bag, you may want to choose something darker that isn't prone to yellowing. My SA also actively discourages clients from buying white bags. Good luck whatever you decide!

I agree. While the bag may have gone up in price, it’s generous that they would offer you a credit after having had the bag for over a year.

If you want a different color entirely, it would be better to take the credit and pay the difference.

Reactions: Cali2HI and Journe
Agreed, it's generous as they can't know what you may (or may not) have treated it with or exposed it to. I'd get the store credit.
I don't treat my bags and my DH gave me a white clutch when we got married 4 years ago and it's still clean white.

Reactions: Journe and alxyoung
Hi everyone, I’m noticing some discolouration/yellowing on my 2019 medium Classic flap. What does everyone think is the best option? Should I send it to the Chanel spa for a deep clean? Has anyone got any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_4136.png
    IMG_4136.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4148.png
    IMG_4148.png
    1 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4149.png
    IMG_4149.png
    881.8 KB · Views: 82
I think you should bring it to the shop quickly to get help. This is similar to my case that happened with my 22P light pink caviar. The shop made a store credit refund for me. I am still disappointed though. I love that pink so much.

Attachments

• 20230911_161946.jpg
    20230911_161946.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: purselovah91
I think you should bring it to the shop quickly to get help. This is similar to my case that happened with my 22P light pink caviar. The shop made a store credit refund for me. I am still disappointed though. I love that pink so much.
Didn't think that yellowing could also be a problem for other light shades like pink. I'm sorry this happened to you. It's a beautiful light pink.

Hello, how about a canvas white bag? I bought a gorgeous 2014 resort bag in white canvas with a navy blue outline. I bought it in pristine condition… even if it’s 10 years old. It was simply never used. Should I baby it or it will hold up well? I understand I shall not wear it against dark surfaces like denim etc of course …

I bought white medium Chanel purse with champagne hardware 10 years ago and have not used it once (small kids , not many social outings, used other bags, etc), just took it out of the box - perfect white color, no yellowing, was stored on its side - no wrinkles. I guess the quality of current leathers really went down.

People that complain of the quality include bags from 10 years ago lol
My white clutch from ‘20 is still snowy white.

Seems to me there’s a lot of factors, other designers have issues with this as well; type of leather, environmental issues/exposure to light/humidity, what people may be treating bags with, topicals on hands/clothing etc….

People that complain of the quality include bags from 10 years ago lol
My white clutch from ‘20 is still snowy white.

Seems to me there’s a lot of factors, other designers have issues with this as well; type of leather, environmental issues/exposure to light/humidity, what people may be treating bags with, topicals on hands/clothing etc….
Just because your one bag is still snowy white does not mean that defects do not happen. To insinuate that people did something to their bags to have them yellow is pretty ridiculous.