Would you wear your Love bracelets to Europe?

@PrincessChelle, I think it depends on how comfortable you are. The key is to do what works for you so you don’t feel constantly worried about your belongings while you’re out and about during your vacation especially with young children. I’ve been to Europe many times and have seen a woman getting her purse snatched in La Ramblas and chasing after the purse snatcher (don’t recommend) and my DH feeling his zippers on his backpack being tugged at the Barcelona train station and in Bangkok (couldn’t find anyone when he turned around).

As for jewelry, I used to wear my e-ring and wedding band, my trusty Cartier Santos 2-tone watch or IWC Da Vinci watch, tiny diamond earrings and tiny diamond pendant and sometimes tiny 5 diamonds bracelet on my vacations. I did find that my e-ring seemed very blingy (it’s only under 2 ctw) because a lot of European ladies seem to wear a more discreet e-ring or wedding ring so now I usually just wear my Bulgari Bulgari RG ring with .25ct diamond since we sometimes hop on transit or use Uber. My DH wears his Panarei watch and Cartier Love ring with 3 diamonds. I think you’d be safe with the Love bracelets as others mentioned that they don’t come off unless you screw them off. I don’t travel with my bangle type bracelets since I don’t want to accidentally bang into things. Although when I purchased my last Love bracelet in Hawaii last March, I didn’t have any trouble at the airports—no beeping or inspection or anything. If you decide to travel with your Love bracelets, like others said do bring your screwdriver. Have a great trip!

My husband always travels with a Rolex watch and I have my Love bracelet (among other every day jewelry) 24/7. We’re big travelers- and have done Spain and Italy. We wore our watches/jewelry out in Spain and Italy without hesitation and as a matter of fact always felt we were dressed down compared to the locals!
However, when traveling to Puerto Rico more recently, I did take these wrist bands with us. They covered his watch and my bracelet perfectly. We wore them when in more crowded areas and didn’t want to bring attention to ourselves.

View attachment 5418480

I live in the US now but grew up in a country people from the US and Western Europe would cover their bracelets in (Turkey). In this case they also get told I think women should dress modestly and avoid flashy bags and jewelry or drawing attention.

The thing is, Turkish women dress very flashy and wear lots of jewelry. So it ends up making you MORE conspicuous because of course in other places just like in Europe or the US, people do not go around sight seeing with tennis bands on their wrists, so it announces “I am not from here or familiar with here,” “I think this your home is a dangerous place,” not to mentions, “I am hiding something valuable under here.”

I would agree with 880’s pulling down sleeves comment. TBH I do that when walking my dog late in Central Park or just generally if I feel uncomfortable. I don’t bring my most valuable pieces when traveling because I would probably lose them myself, not because I think it is dangerous. I was pick pocketed of my phone when I lived in Paris one summer. I was dressed down but had it in the outside pocket of a Bal Pon Pom and was carrying a lot of bulky things on the metro from BHV.

Bad things happen everywhere but I don’t think there’s a reason to write off entire countries as no-go areas for our beautiful bags and jewelry! Also, if you feel you need to take precautions, do so in a subtle way.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t hesitate to wear a love bracelet to a major European city but I wouldn’t wear my engagement ring or any particularly flashy jewelry like a Rolex… especially the engagement ring as I think the common sizes here scream “American”. I try not to advertise that I’m a tourist with my clothing.

fwiw I felt very safe in Milan,Rome, Madrid, and Barcelona but I’ve heard mixed experiences,

I have always been told I have an ambiguous ethnicity look and am often mistaken for local wherever we travel. One thing I do to help this if we will be somewhere I want to fit in is simply buy a bunch of local clothes and shoes and wear those. I take them with me or donate after the trip. This is less necessary with globalization but 20-30 years ago it was the first thing I did when I got to a county where I was afraid I’d stand out, especially if on my own or staying a while.

• Insightful
Reactions: jenayb
I know that sometimes being a tourist can make you more vulnerable or feel more vulnerable than the locals (just because of the language barrier, and the lack of reference points), and this is true all over the world. But if you manage to blend in and not be too exuberant, there is no specific danger!

Especially since there is no particular risk in Europe (which can be very disparate in terms of delinquency), but in all countries, including the most reasonable ones in terms of crime rate, there are more or less quiet areas. I think you should be able to avoid the worst ones, or get out of them quickly, if you inadvertently stumble upon them :biggrin:.

A few bracelets and rings won't put a target on your back. People wear those pieces of jewelry there!
And for the cities you mentioned, you don't really risk much, especially if you apply the same precautions as in your usual environment.

I would recommend to any person who travels in normal security conditions though, to take with them only the jewelry that will be worn all the time. This is what I do anyway, following a bad experience of my mother some time ago, who had jewelry and money stolen from her hotel room safe.

Would you wear your Love bracelets in the States?

An equally valid question. The question is probably more, would you wear your Love bracelet's as a tourist who is not that familiar with local conditions, anywhere in the world.

To give an answer, yes I wear my Loves all over the world.

What I don't do: I don't wear expensive watches on my travels. Why? Wherever I go, locals warn me about instant ambush attacks on tourists that will have their watches ripped off their wrists. Wherever I go, be it Milan, Barcelona or Vienna, I am told the same story by taxi drivers or hotel porters. A love bracelet that fits tight is not at risk as long as you avoid the dark corners of cities where robbers have all the time in the world to rob you in peace.
My husband took the picture of me in July on our trip to the USA. Now I wouldn't wear the Rolex anymore!

468FBBAF-F125-4C11-89B5-AE5A09C40755.jpeg

Central London ... yeah if you never leave :wave: ... but all of England / UK?
Didn’t realise that you would take such a literal and restrictive interpretation. Of course I travel all around the UK (and parts of Europe and the US for work) rather than staying in one spot…and it stays on me. If I felt uncomfortable I would leave it in the hotel.

although sometimes if I’m going to the US for more than a few days I leave it at home.

Reactions: scheurin
I wouldn't wear them (personally) but not because of safety issues, more like airport issues. I love jewellery but having to take it on and off at airports worries and stresses me. I also worry about somehow losing or damaging my jewellery in all the chaos of travel.

I don't remember all the places you're going but in my experience all the other European women are wearing bracelets as well, so I don't see how you will be in danger. Maybe just stick to one bangle if you're worried? Idk, I've never witnessed or been a victim of pickpocketing in Europe and I've been to some shady places... Just keep your wits about you and you'll be fine! Leave the giant diamonds at home but gold bangles should be fine.

I wear mine, but I lived in Paris I know what to do.....so I thought!! I probably looked like a tourist that day I was attacked by a group of syndicate pickpocketers in the metro as my train was passing through Concorde.
I learned my lesson. I would consider which city in Europe I would be in, what kind of combination or set of jewelry I would be wearing, if I wear a kind of wardrobe that could potentially cover my body parts with jewelries if I feel threatened in anyway, etc. and its how you carry yourself too. I would wear no jewelries if I want to act like a tourist and just be carefree.....we can't have everything we just need to give up something

I wear mine, but I lived in Paris I know what to do.....so I thought!! I probably looked like a tourist that day I was attacked by a group of syndicate pickpocketers in the metro as my train was passing through Concorde.
I learned my lesson. I would consider which city in Europe I would be in, what kind of combination or set of jewelry I would be wearing, if I wear a kind of wardrobe that could potentially cover my body parts with jewelries if I feel threatened in anyway, etc. and its how you carry yourself too. I would wear no jewelries if I want to act like a tourist and just be carefree.....we can't have everything we just need to give up something
I’m so sorry that happened. I hope you’re okay. :sad:

Reactions: hhw