Would you carry receipts with you?

Well the trademark comment is related to the fact that the French "marques" live LV and such have been and will always work with the Douane at CDG in Paris to make sure that no items are either being traffiked around (auth items) and that fakes don't enter the market.

Placing the bags in your under-compartment luggage is an effective means of avoiding la Douane. Anything that looks used is considered "OK".

I've already gotten into 'light' issues with them in the past, but I talked my way through it by just saying it's all mine, I wear them, can't you tell they're used, what "tarriff" is there to charge if I wear them, I'm not reselling them, blah blah blah.

If you don't speak an ounce of French, they're gonna be abusive, (especially to Americans b/c they think you can afford it) so my heart goes out to Jill. :flowers: They also have a quota to achieve (which I pointed out to them and that left them "tué" quiet.)

It is best to carry your receipts when travelling abroad, regardless of where you place your luggage - I don't disagree - but giving them impetus to pull you out of the line, by flashing your luxury goods, is definitely not recommended. :yes: Especially if you don't have any documentation.
Pouf, I know what you are talking about...I have never had one bit of problem...probably my age....but that is not what we were talking about...or at least originally or Jill's story.....and the fakes, other countrys are confusing the issue. Jill had problem from US officials, on US soil, coming back into the country.

Anywho, the bottom line is if your traveling out of the country with any expensive item take your receipts.

I've been to Paris-New York, Paris-Boston at least 25 times and I know it's a huge mistake to carry a designer bag or designer luggage or a fur coat or something that draws attention to you at any customs you go through. Whatever you do, try not to look wealthy. I always wore "bum" clothes and bags and they never give you a second look. But if they get you like they got Jill, they can be brutal.

OH mY!
This hits too close to home for me.
When I returned from Paris..I got detained in customs for HOURS....I got FINED(It ended up being over 800 dollars!) for any designer item I had that did NOT have a receipt.They were brutal..had me in tears.
Luckily..I did carry most of my receipts inside each item....but not ALL of them.Customs told me you are REQUIRED to provide them with receipts OR they WILL either SEIZE the items..or Fine you.When they seize them....it may take MONTHS to get them back after proving they are yours too..So I paid my fines and was very traumatized by the abusive customs agents.

That's horrible! But why do they fine you? What's the point??

I am sure most of the time, everything is fine, but often the police in Mexico are worse than the criminals. A friend of mine had an LV Keepall, and it seemed to make us a magnet for Mexican police looking for bribes from American tourists. Pretty scary.

I took a keepall and a carryall to mexico and nothing happened. I live in california though...don't know if that's of any use.

OH mY!
This hits too close to home for me.
When I returned from Paris..I got detained in customs for HOURS....I got FINED(It ended up being over 800 dollars!) for any designer item I had that did NOT have a receipt.They were brutal..had me in tears.
Luckily..I did carry most of my receipts inside each item....but not ALL of them.Customs told me you are REQUIRED to provide them with receipts OR they WILL either SEIZE the items..or Fine you.When they seize them....it may take MONTHS to get them back after proving they are yours too..So I paid my fines and was very traumatized by the abusive customs agents.

omg... Jill, I feel for you. U.S. customs are horrible!!!

I think people are missing the point and what Jill went through....

Fakes is not the issue....it has nothing to do with other countries either. It has nothing to do with how you fly (business or otherwise), as custom officials do not know how you flew.

When re-entering the US, the United States custom officials, can search your luggage. They will often assume pricey items have been purchased overseas and are therefore subject to duty or custom fees. You know that little form they give you to fill out before you land to claim your purchases.

They especially look for things that are common in the areas you have been. Designer goods from Europe, Electronics from Asia, Opals from Australia. You get the idea.

That is why anything expensive you take with you, that you have already purchased in the US, you should have a copy of a receipt. Or you can go to the customs office and they will register the serial numbers, etc and give you a form to travel with.

^ack... Glad I don't travel. Since I don't have any receipts. And all my bags are LV and Prada.

I was recently detained at the U.S. border just for making a u-turn on my own soil! An honest mistake because the house my dh and I were looking for was exactly on the border of the U.S. and Canada!

Im not talking about me carrying authentic bags or not..I mean they wanted me to pay customs fees on EVERY designer item in my suitcase that did NOT have a receipt..TOTALLY different issue!

I hear you.

A couple of years ago, I asked on another message boards about customs ecperiences when re-tenering the UK. Somebody mentioned an occaision when they were stopped an searched by an officical who notices his fairliy new desginer watch. the watch had been a recent christmas present from his wife but he had no proof. He had to pay the duty and VAT on top and then claim the refund later on when he got the receipt from his wife.

I think people are missing the point and what Jill went through....

Fakes is not the issue....it has nothing to do with other countries either. It has nothing to do with how you fly (business or otherwise), as custom officials do not know how you flew.

When re-entering the US, the United States custom officials, can search your luggage. They will often assume pricey items have been purchased overseas and are therefore subject to duty or custom fees. You know that little form they give you to fill out before you land to claim your purchases.

============================================================================================================
^^^

Lol.. Actually there's 2 issues now here.. :smile:
The issue with the custom at the US(when returning to US) for the tax; as what Jill encountered, and..
my original thread about being "target" by the custom when entering Paris airport carrying LV..(especially if you are asian or come from countries on their list - they now have a list of blacklisted countries that sells counterfiet labels). My dh is Parisian and he knew some people wking at the CDG.. Unfortunately, they admit that some of the customs at arrival there can be "stereo-typing visitors..

That is why anything expensive you take with you, that you have already purchased in the US, you should have a copy of a receipt. Or you can go to the customs office and they will register the serial numbers, etc and give you a form to travel with.

These are great info! :yes: Do I just go to the customs office at the airport to register my LV bags before I depart from USA?