Would you buy a bag with a loose turn lock?

Black B35, 2011, returnable, nothing listed that can’t be fixed at spa, less expensive than the one you found, accepts best offers, and a pretty reliable Japanese reseller.

…and that was just a quick look; much more research would need to be done on this bag as well as others, but I think they’re out there in less problematic condition (potential expensive repair) and with the ability to return if you’re unhappy.

Good luck :flowers:

ETA: yes, it’s clemence but I think it’s relevant to my overall argument that other, better, potentially less expensive bags (especially B35s) are out there.
Square E is 2001 if I'm not mistaken.

I will just echo the general consensus shared here and say that this bag is not worth your time/money. Repairing the touret is a surprisingly difficult and expensive repair because the craftsperson will have to undo a large portion of stitches along the top of the bag in order to replace the hardware. There are so many other great options on the pre-loved market; let the right bag find you!

I had a turnlock replaced this past year on a 2009 birkin that I purchased from a Japanese reseller after having it authenticated by Bababebi. I didn't even notice that the turnlock was loose since I never close it, but Hermes insisted on doing it while they cleaned the bag. The cost was about $350. The SA who returned the bag to me after being spa'd said it looked like a brand new bag. She seemed to be responding to the hardware.

That said, I would not have a problem with the turnlock. I would have a problem with a bag that I had not seen that I could not return. Is is a seller with multiple locations? Some will send it to a store near you so you can look at it before purchase. There are bags described as good that are not. There are bags that are described as bad that are not. You can't trust the seller's evaluation.

If you can get comfortable with the condition and the authenticity, then the most important thing is that the bag sings for you. Bags have personalities and there are unidentifiable qualities that make a bag call to you. The bag is worth what it is worth to you.

Last edited:
I had a turnlock replaced this past year on a 2009 birkin that I purchased from a Japanese reseller after having it authenticated by Bababebi. I didn't even notice that the turnlock was loose since I never close it, but Hermes insisted on doing it while they cleaned the bag. The cost was about $350. The SA who returned the bag to me after being spa'd said it looked like a brand new bag. She seemed to be responding to the hardware.

That said, I would not have a problem with the turnlock. I would have a problem with a bag that I had not seen that I could not return. Is is a seller with multiple locations? Some will send it to a store near you so you can look at it before purchase. There are bags described as good that are not. There are bags that are described as bad that are not. You can't trust the seller's evaluation.

If you can get comfortable with the condition and the authenticity, then the most important thing is that the bag sings for you. Bags have personalities and there are unidentifiable qualities that make a bag call to you. The bag is worth what it is worth to you.
Don't forget to factor in also that this would be 350 plus the cost of spa
and being without the bag for some months.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. So the seller did finally send me a video. I had envisioned “loose Turnlock to mean it was floppy, maybe a prior over closed the birkin top flap over the turn lock, didn’t secure the sangals and overloaded the bag. That isn’t what the video shows. The turn lock isn’t bent or floppy. It just “turns” easily. Videos can be tricky but it seemed very minor. Does this change anyones perspective? It made me less nervous but I don’t know if I am being naive.

I’m not sure there’s more to add here from, as some would say, a bunch of strangers on the internet. I think the concerns about the potential issues with the bag in question have been raised and now the matter is more personal. What’s your financial tolerance level? What’s your personality type, easygoing or fretful, and how do those factors intersect?
It seems as though this bag is living rent free in your head so it’s your money if you can live with whatever the consequences may be. Go for it if you really want to. HTH :flowers:

Thanks everyone for your feedback. So the seller did finally send me a video. I had envisioned “loose Turnlock to mean it was floppy, maybe a prior over closed the birkin top flap over the turn lock, didn’t secure the sangals and overloaded the bag. That isn’t what the video shows. The turn lock isn’t bent or floppy. It just “turns” easily. Videos can be tricky but it seemed very minor. Does this change anyones perspective? It made me less nervous but I don’t know if I am being naive.
This changes matters, a lot of turnlocks turn easily and others are stiffer but it's not damaged.

My biggest worry would be that the sale is final and that it's over priced. But it's your money......

I pose this question to all of those saying this bag is overpriced. What do you think is a fair price for this bag? Where would you suggest the op shop to get a comparable bag with a better price?

Black is a desirable color. My brief search to look at pricing came up with a lot of Clemence bags but not togo. She wants togo and she wants gold hardware.

I pose this question to all of those saying this bag is overpriced. What do you think is a fair price for this bag? Where would you suggest the op shop to get a comparable bag with a better price?

Black is a desirable color. My brief search to look at pricing came up with a lot of Clemence bags but not togo. She wants togo and she wants gold hardware.
That is a good question and to quote a late PM, 'May I answer your this way?'. I would advise that a potential buyer should have made their own evaluation of the market, just as you might for property or a second hand car. You then have your own idea of what is the going rate and you can decide whether you are prepared to pay a premium for something that really matches your requirements.

In this instance from the original post, I would say that OP had done that. Her concern was more about interpreting the description, she incidentally shared other sale conditions that caused contributors more concerns than the condition of the bag.

I have to confess that I have just asked someone for an opinion relating to condition rather asking price.

Think you are looking here for "approval" to go ahead & buy this bag that you seem to want.
You have to decide now from the video which should present a clearer picture of the condition
& whatever issues might be of concern to you.
You have received some insight as to what would be important to several of us if we were
looking for a bag. There are some red flags here for us & they may not be there for you, it's your
call.
Are there other bags in the marketplace that are in better or top notch shape & condition in the price range
you are looking at, likely but you have to be open to looking more..
Good luck with your decision

Last edited:
The turn lock isn’t bent or floppy. It just “turns” easily.
I would probably prefer one that is slightly bent. One that turns easily would bug me.
If I already owned one with a turnlock that turns easily, i would send it to spa.
And honestly once you send something to spa, assuming it is accepted,
H comes back suggesting all Sorts of other things. I don’t buy anything that cannot be returned
(Even if I almost never return anything). Final sale on something this expensive just raises a red flag for me.
I just don’t think someone reputable would worry about returns for good cause. Good luck with your purchase

Reactions: A bottle of Red
I just picked up a Kelly with my mum and when she took off the stickers we realised the Turnlock was somewhat loose... nothing to worry about. Worst case she will bring it in to Hermes to look at.
I wouldn't worry too much about it.

A loose turn lock on a birkin would not bother me as I don’t ever use my birkins closed up.

I’ve had brand new Kellys with loose turn locks - they don’t spin haha, but they are loose and turns easily. I think it’s worse on a Kelly as it holds the bag together. I bought them from resellers shipped to me. At first I was pretty upset and paranoid fearing the locks will drop off the bags but it’s been a couple of years already and I use them regularly and the turn locks have not dropped off my 2 kellys.

My take is it’s hard to expect pristine condition especially for a bag that is 2 decades old… and since it’s a birkin it should be ok. Can you negotiate for further discount to save some costs in case you feel you want to have it spa and fixed at H?