Would you buy a bag with a loose turn lock?

fashion16

O.G.
Apr 15, 2007
I have been on the hunt for a B30 or B35 in Togo, black with gold hardware. I have seem some lovely ones in my budget with PHW or Epsom leather but this combo is hard to find in my budget …until now.

I found one for a great price, leather is in excellent condition, never repainted etc BUT the turn lock is loose, they rate it about a 5/10 if 0 is floppy and 10 is secure and brand new.

The price is $10k. I don’t know how big of a deal this is given that this is my first birkin (just got my first Kelly last week).

Would this give you pause? Should I keep looking?

The seller is reputable but all sales are final and they are not close by so I can’t see it in person. I did ask for a video and I am awaiting a response.

Is this something the H spa can fix? If so, I’d say go for it :smile: I bought a vintage Kelly that also has a loose turn lock, no problem, the main thing is the bag meets all the criteria I had set up, and it’s not easy finding a bag meeting your specs at a reasonable price in a good condition from a reputable reseller!

I have been on the hunt for a B30 or B35 in Togo, black with gold hardware. I have seem some lovely ones in my budget with PHW or Epsom leather but this combo is hard to find in my budget …until now.

I found one for a great price, leather is in excellent condition, never repainted etc BUT the turn lock is loose, they rate it about a 5/10 if 0 is floppy and 10 is secure and brand new.

The price is $10k. I don’t know how big of a deal this is given that this is my first birkin (just got my first Kelly last week).

The seller is reputable but all sales are final and they are not close by so I can’t see it in person. I did ask for a video and I am awaiting a response.
I am sure there are many thoughts on this, I am of the belief that a loose turn lock would not be for me, they say a 5 out of 10...but truly thats their perspective, might be a 4? a 3? Possibly someone here can give you a price estimate of what Hermes wants for a new turnlock, and the turn around time on this repair. I never want to buy a "new" find only to part with it for a repair. JMO I personally would keep looking as all good things come to those who wait. Good luck wih your decision!

without knowing the age the price has no meaning
but if it is old enough for the turnlock to be loose
I would imagine it is way overpriced
I would not pay that much for something I know to be defective

Yes, especially based on below
The seller is reputable but all sales are final and they are not close by so I can’t see it in person.

I don’t have a problem with a bag from 2004 that is otherwise in good condition. Yes this would give me serious pause.
In general, I would not buy a bag with a loose turnlock unless it was a hard to find leather like patinated porc, Buffalo Dalmatian, vache natural, possibly smooth barenia (IMO togo is not hard to find) AND it was well under retail price. For 10K, I would wait and enjoy my new kelly.

During that time I would really think hard about whether I wanted a 30 or 35. There is a huge difference in terms of size, weight, function, and presence. I also believe prices are starting to soften. I also do not buy anything that cannot be returned after I examine in person. I would not buy any bag from TRR unless It was in a condition I could live with, and I was very very familiar with the model and had verified authenticity. I only mention TRR bc it’s known to refuse returns.

ETA: a togo 35, listed as 5/10 for 10K, final sale. I do not need a video to know that I would Absolutely not. JMO

@fashion16
* sounds like you would like to purchase and trust the seller to have described the condition accurately (and vouch that 5/10 refers solely to the lock ). I would caution that you cannot trust and verify safely if this is final sale. H spa may also refuse to replace the lock should it deem others have worked on this bag or should other surprises arise. That being the case, I would authenticate via @bababebi prior to purchase, and pay by PayPal fee based, with a cc as a back up. I use PayPal backed by AMEX. Good luck, and pls update with your results. Everyones risk tolerance is different, and I wish you the best :smile:

Last edited:
Any chance of a video so you can see the wiggle? (more info is always better, even if it’s not dispositive). My concern is that there’s just no way to assess 5/10. I guess my bigger concern is the price; seems high for a B35 2004 Togo. JMO; I know it’s tough when you’ve got your heart set on something…..

ETA: just reread your original post and see that you’ve requested a video. I’d also second @880 ’s view that you want to be sure that a 35 is the size you want, 35 and 30 really are different bags.

Last edited:
Black B35, 2011, returnable, nothing listed that can’t be fixed at spa, less expensive than the one you found, accepts best offers, and a pretty reliable Japanese reseller.

…and that was just a quick look; much more research would need to be done on this bag as well as others, but I think they’re out there in less problematic condition (potential expensive repair) and with the ability to return if you’re unhappy.

Good luck :flowers:

ETA: yes, it’s clemence but I think it’s relevant to my overall argument that other, better, potentially less expensive bags (especially B35s) are out there.

Thanks, all. The bag is in very good condition. Leather and wax edges are perfect. It is the lock that is rated 5/10 by the seller in terms of being loose.
I'm sensing that in spite of the thoughts shared here, that you are leaning & inclined to purchase this
bag in spite of the loose lock, JMO
Hopefully you will make the right decision.

I'm sensing that in spite of the thoughts shared here, that you are leaning & inclined to purchase this
bag in spite of the loose lock, JMO
Hopefully you will make the right decision.

I agree.
You opened the thread because you were not sure this bag would be a good buy.
The consensus is that there are several red flags, (e.g. turn lock, no return, price)
but you are minded to take the seller's word on what you consider the good points (e.g. never repainted).
Heed 880's carefully considered post.
Describing the glazing of the edges as wax suggested inexperience
and made me fear you might get burned.

However attractive something might appear, if you have any doubts, step away;
another opportunity will always present itself.

How much will it cost you to have it fixed and what is the wait time for that? I am sure it will be months. If I were you, I would just "add" the "repair cost" to my budget and find another B that doesn't have a turn lock that is loose.

Reactions: A bottle of Red