worth it to pay more for a hairdryer?

More like $400!

While I love my Dyson vacuum, that's as far as I will go (spend).
agree
I have thick hair and at times when it needs to be dried completely in the shortest time, it may take 20 minutes or so. If I lived in a cold climate and had to wash my hair every day, maybe it would be worth it to buy a Dyson. But in my situation, it's not necessary. Also I use a diffuser and don't know if Dyson is equipped for that.

Reactions: limom
I think it's worth it. One that can blow stronger air and good heat settings can make a huge difference. I buy mine from folica (wait for promos).

Currently using the Elchim 2001. I also have the Sedu Revolution (super hot, lightweight, and compact). Another Elchim 3000 series I swapped my friend - gave her my T3 since it was too frizzy and not enough volume for my fine color processed hair.

My stylist friend was obsessed with the MoroccanOil one for a while- so I picked that up (but haven't used). The ones not in use go in the guest rooms.

I saw the Dyson one and was intrigued, but some of the poor reviews turned me off. I also suspect that it will render similar results to T3, so I passed.

I have a Dyson hair dryer, then got the Dyson hair styling set. I was curious after seeing so many rave reviews. My hair is long, fine, and thick. I am NOT impressed with the Dyson hair products, TBH. I was looking forward to using something that achieves a nice look more quickly, but 90% of the time I go back to setting my hair in large rollers and sitting under my Pibbs hood dryer while reading a book. Several people said they assumed I always have it done in a salon.

I have a Sedu hand held blow dryer and a Sedu flat iron. IMO the Sedu dryer works just as well if not better than the Dyson.

I see I posted in this thread back on page 1 in 2016. Time for an update! :lol:

Over the last few years I've gone through a variety of dryers. I had a T3, a Super Solano, then a GHD Air. I've also used Revlon and Conair. Recently I finally broke down and bought the Dyson. For me, I can honestly say it's 100% worth it. My hair is extremely thick and coarse, it's naturally wavy, and 90% of the time I wear it straight. Blowdrying for me is a difficult chore. I also wash my hair 3-5 times per week and I blowdry it every time, so it's something I use often. I need a powerful dryer that will get my hair smooth and straight, and that won't wear me out. My Dyson is the lightest, smallest dryer I've used, so my arms don't get as tired. The size & shape mean I don't have to hold my arms as high or as far away from my head. It does seem to dry my hair faster and smoother. When I use the diffuser, I have zero frizz, which has never happened for me with any other dryer. It's also dry much faster with the Dyson diffuser than any other I've ever used. For me, all of those things make it worth whatever I have to pay.

That said, I think an expensive dryer may not be worth it for everyone. I have difficult hair that takes a lot of work. Not everyone does. If I had hair that was easy and fast to dry, or that I didn't blowdry very often, I would never spend $400 on a dryer.

Reactions: michellem
Like anything else, it's highly dependent on your lifestyle and type/length of hair. I never blow dry my hair, but I have a mini hair dryer which actually works very well when I do want to dry my hair. My hair is naturally straight and not overly thick so it air dries just fine.

I really like my Dyson hair dryer, but honestly, I don't think it is worth the price. A lot of people say that it dries their hair more quickly. I really don't find that to be the case. It just feels like a high quality dryer to me. Nothing magical.

Reactions: zowye
I really like my Dyson hair dryer, but honestly, I don't think it is worth the price. A lot of people say that it dries their hair more quickly. I really don't find that to be the case. It just feels like a high quality dryer to me. Nothing magical.
When I went to Paris for work, I stayed in a boutique hotel that had a Dyson dryer. It was magical. Life changing. I HATE drying my hair, I can't stand the time and effort spent in it. And this thing dried my hair so fast and beautifully, when I came back home I bit the bullet and bought one. And guess what, it's certainly better than my previous dryer but not as good as one I tried in Paris. Not sure if it was just the glamour of the city of the honeymoon period of trying it for the first time, or most likely there are varying versions of this with difference in performance. What a disappointment.

Never owned a Dyson but my friend does so I used hers when I went over for a holiday. I feel it does dry my hair fast but my hair feels dry? after using it. I use Solis (swiss brand) at home and I loved it. Been using for more than 10 years and still working fine. I wanted to try a new hair dryer so I bought babybliss but it broke down after like 3 or 4 mths? Guess its only Solis for me!
that's not typical for Babyliss but I guess you can get a lemon with any product. Glad your Solis is working for such a long time.

Reactions: autheree
What u do u use?
I have basically a Babyliss. actually it's made by them in the same country but branded differently - made for Sally or something (don't recall exactly). I've had it for maybe five years. But I have curly hair and don't wash that often and don't dry fully. so I'm not a heavy user. however, my hairdresser (at the time I bought it) used a Babyliss in the salon and you know those people use the heck out of their dryers.

I think it depends how long it takes you usually to dry your hair. I very have long thick hair and with a normal hairdryer it took me 35 - 40min - with the dyson it's about 10 minutes. I am entirely happy with it. The time I save, is it worth for me.

@Babyblu033 that is weird...perhaps you got a "lemon car"?

I have long fine wavy hair that will dry on its own in 5-10 min in the summer. During the winter, my cheapy Conair ionic from Target is my workhorse. My stylist uses the Dyson on me after my wash/cut and I don't notice a difference.

Reactions: sdkitty
I see I posted in this thread back on page 1 in 2016. Time for an update! :lol:

Over the last few years I've gone through a variety of dryers. I had a T3, a Super Solano, then a GHD Air. I've also used Revlon and Conair. Recently I finally broke down and bought the Dyson. For me, I can honestly say it's 100% worth it. My hair is extremely thick and coarse, it's naturally wavy, and 90% of the time I wear it straight. Blowdrying for me is a difficult chore. I also wash my hair 3-5 times per week and I blowdry it every time, so it's something I use often. I need a powerful dryer that will get my hair smooth and straight, and that won't wear me out. My Dyson is the lightest, smallest dryer I've used, so my arms don't get as tired. The size & shape mean I don't have to hold my arms as high or as far away from my head. It does seem to dry my hair faster and smoother. When I use the diffuser, I have zero frizz, which has never happened for me with any other dryer. It's also dry much faster with the Dyson diffuser than any other I've ever used. For me, all of those things make it worth whatever I have to pay.

That said, I think an expensive dryer may not be worth it for everyone. I have difficult hair that takes a lot of work. Not everyone does. If I had hair that was easy and fast to dry, or that I didn't blowdry very often, I would never spend $400 on a dryer.
Still in love with dyson?