Women have the Birkin, what do men have?

Hermès has a briefcase without the Kelly closure widely available. That's a classic bag that hasn't gone out of fashion since after the second world war. It's more of a classic than the Birkin.

If you want a highly recognizable Hermès bag that's known to a lot of people as hard to get and as a status symbol to a wider public, then no, Hermès doesn't have that specifically in the men's category, even if as mentioned here already many of the high profile bags are unisex. But that's because it's fashion mainly directed at a female demographic that creates this situation, I can't think of any bag equivalent that was mostly marketed in the men's category.

Thank you, this is what I was looking for!

Reactions: Liberté
My DH has a Barenia combo HAC - it's a GREAT bag, I am always envious. I would say, try on the sizes - 45 is quite big. Having combo material helps with the weight.

A 45 is a very big bag, I do need to see them in person and see what size is for me. Is there a website that shows leather/fabric samples? Did not know the fabric is called 'Barenia'.

A 45 is a very big bag, I do need to see them in person and see what size is for me. Is there a website that shows leather/fabric samples? Did not know the fabric is called 'Barenia'.
Barenia is an Hermès leather often used in combo HACs; the fabric on the HAC you referred to is called crinoline. It's made from horsehair and in all honesty I don't recommend it as it can't be repaired easily. Toile (canvas) or felt are better options.
DH thought he'd buy a 45 or 50 HAC and ended up with a 40; he's very happy with the size. I would find a consignment store where you can try on the sizes, unless you have a boutique nearby. Hermès stores with large men's sections will almost always have an HAC in stock and they're not usually subject to the kind of scarcity craziness that Birkins are.
Edited to add: HACs are quite reasonable at resale relative to the retail price.

I think it’s more like “women have handbags, what do men have?” Birkin is just the epitome of handbags but the gender categorization is not about the Birkin but the category of products as a whole.

And I guess the answer to that question is probably watches and cars...?

However things are changing and all three things are increasingly enjoyed by all. I’m completely here for it!

Reactions: biorin and WhiteBus
A 45 is a very big bag, I do need to see them in person and see what size is for me. . . . '.

You are correct.
The firm base of a HAC measures 45cm x 25cm.
I am 5'10" and that is quite large to have hanging around your calves.
The capacity is large and it can quickly become heavy.
I use it in a trolley grocery shopping or as a weekender, but never as a general bag to carry day to day items.
The HAC really is towards luggage.

It's interesting that you started this thread with a general open question about classic Hermes bags for men.
There was no slant about the situations in which they might be used.

Reactions: papertiger
You are correct.
The firm base of a HAC measures 45cm x 25cm.
I am 5'10" and that is quite large to have hanging around your calves.
The capacity is large and it can quickly become heavy.
I use it in a trolley grocery shopping or as a weekender, but never as a general bag to carry day to day items.
The HAC really is towards luggage.

It's interesting that you started this thread with a general open question about classic Hermes bags for men.
There was no slant about the situations in which they might be used.

Yeah you guys really opened up new doors for me. I like the HAC with the fabric, it gives me beach vibes and would only be used as a travel/weekender bag. I can't thank you guys enough for introducing the HAC to me.

Reactions: averagejoe
I carry Birkin 35s, Kelly 40 and 32s, Picotins, Kelly Cuts, Jiges, Constances, and in the past Jypsieres, I love them all. I have male friends who also carry Birkins 40s or 30s, depending on their size and if they mind the weight or not. There are also guys that carry mini bags. All depends on your style and preference.