Winter green... and questions about shrunken calf leather

Betty Kay

Jun 25, 2016
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Although I promised myself not to buy more Mulberry bags for a while (have bought a lot last year, the Mulberry bug really got me...) I couldn't resist when I saw a preloved Alexa in pheasant green shrunken calf leather on a trusted website.

I loved this green color at first sight, also on pictures here in TPF. When I received the bag I was happy: thick leather of a good quality, and the bag keeps its shape better than I have seen on pictures with the buffalo leather. The disappointment came the next morning at a closer look at daylight. Especially at the back side of the bag, at the wrinkles and the parts in general where the leather rubs on your body when you carry it crossbody, the color of the leather is already faded. I hope you can see it in the pictures.The bag was announced as in "as good as new condition", otherwise I wouldnt have been so surprised. The price was also the highest I ever paid for a preloved bag. After a half sleepless night I decided to keep the bag because I love the style, the color and the leather, and the price was about half the original retail price which is perhaps still ok. And I think Alexas in this leather are rare to be found.

But now my questions: I have seen other beautiful bags in shrunken calf leather and rich dark colours. How are your experiences with the leather quality and color? Have the bags also faded unevenly? Would the color rub off even more? With my SBS in black and oak I haven't seen a single sign of use or scuffs at the back. In the care card of the shrunken calf only collonil water stop spray is recommended. Would the collonil leather gel help when I apply it severel times or would it make the problem even worse? Any advice and pictures are welcome!

Hi!
Your bag is beautiful and I am not sure I see that fading.
Unfortunately I don't have a bag in that leather.. But I only read good reviews about it.
I would advise to call Mulberry to ask if Collonil gel can be used on that type of leather (which I think you can but you better ask them first).
Hopefully you will feel happy with your purchase as it is a real beauty :smile:

Reactions: Betty Kay
Hi!
Your bag is beautiful and I am not sure I see that fading.
Unfortunately I don't have a bag in that leather.. But I only read good reviews about it.
I would advise to call Mulberry to ask if Collonil gel can be used on that type of leather (which I think you can but you better ask them first).
Hopefully you will feel happy with your purchase as it is a real beauty :smile:
Thank you very much, dear Gringach! :wave:Yes, if you don't see the original bag, it is really difficult to spot the different colours on the pictures. I tried to make a picture with flash, but this is not better! In daylight - which we did not really have the last days- it is much clearer. Perhaps I'll try in the weekend. I couldn't wait and have already applied a thin layer of collonil gel, as it worked wonderful on my preloved dry Darwin leather bags. This has improved and enriched the color at the back side a bit. And now I got the impression that the colour wouldn't rub off as easy when the leather is a bit more smooth! But in fact, I am happy with my purchase, carried the bag the last two days and really love the color and the thick leather:love: - so I made the right decision!

This is a beautiful bag and one of my favourites

I bought an outlet special in large grain and although not shrunken calf, IMO was the closest I was going to get to an oxblood shrunken calf alexa. I returned it as it was dull and in places it seemed patchy. Uneven and dry even, not what I had seen the true shrunken calf like

The pictures probably don't show your areas of concern, but I understand what you are saying and for me the bag isn't 'as good as new' - if this was an eBay purchase I would have asked for a return

Having said that Gringach is right, ask M for advice.

I have used collonil 1909 leather cream on a few bags now, it seems to enrich the colour, but speak to M first as I wouldn't want this to make it worse.

I do hope you can get past your initial disappointment and enjoy this beautiful bag [emoji7]

This is a beautiful bag and one of my favourites

I bought an outlet special in large grain and although not shrunken calf, IMO was the closest I was going to get to an oxblood shrunken calf alexa. I returned it as it was dull and in places it seemed patchy. Uneven and dry even, not what I had seen the true shrunken calf like

The pictures probably don't show your areas of concern, but I understand what you are saying and for me the bag isn't 'as good as new' - if this was an eBay purchase I would have asked for a return

Having said that Gringach is right, ask M for advice.

I have used collonil 1909 leather cream on a few bags now, it seems to enrich the colour, but speak to M first as I wouldn't want this to make it worse.

I do hope you can get past your initial disappointment and enjoy this beautiful bag [emoji7]
Thank you, dear Louliu, I bought the bag from FTA , here you still see the offer: http://thefinerthingsaberdeen.com/p...-green-shrunken-calf-with-soft-gold-hardware/
, and what annoyed me a bit, too, that the pictures do not show the bag I received :annoyed: the plastic protectors have not been still on the hardware, it was just a different bag, you can see it, when you look at the grain structure of the flap. I bought two bags before at FTA and was very satisfied with the quality and the service, this time only half. But as I said, I wanted this bag and decided against returning it and love it now, only the description and perhaps the price are not really adequate.

That's not good, you should have received the bag you saw advertised on the site. I would send it back. It's definitely not new, the bag has been used and there is wear to the leather at the back. Shrunken calf is very tough, so to my mind its seen quite some use to show that degree of wear. Sorry, just my opinion. At the very least if you still want to keep it, I think you should be entitled to a reduction in the price paid given this discrepancy between what was advertised v what you received.

That's not good, you should have received the bag you saw advertised on the site. I would send it back. It's definitely not new, the bag has been used and there is wear to the leather at the back. Shrunken calf is very tough, so to my mind its seen quite some use to show that degree of wear. Sorry, just my opinion. At the very least if you still want to keep it, I think you should be entitled to a reduction in the price paid given this discrepancy between what was advertised v what you received.
Thank you very much for you open words:flowers:, I will thin again about it!:shocked:

Reactions: Evia
I wrote an email to Hannah from FTA and received a very friendly reply. She apologized for her error because she sent the wrong bag and offered a reduction that is very satisfying for me , so I accepted! Everything is perfect now and I am absolutely happy with my purchase! Thanks to all for your advice!!

I wrote an email to Hannah from FTA and received a very friendly reply. She apologized for her error because she sent the wrong bag and offered a reduction that is very satisfying for me , so I accepted! Everything is perfect now and I am absolutely happy with my purchase! Thanks to all for your advice!!

That's good, I'm pleased everything is resolved for you and you can enjoy your bag :smile:

Reactions: Betty Kay