Windows Vista

if you have a pc right now with xp and would want to upgrade to vista - it would be better to get a new pc vista ready than upgrade memory, graphics etc.

I'd like to upgrade to vista, but not now. not until they have the service pack2 with all the bug fixes.

I've been beta testing Microsoft Vista at work since March of last year and I have to warn you guys, unless your hardware is up to snuff, it won't be 'faster and better.' It requires at least 1Gb of memory and if your motherboard has an integrated video, good luck trying to view those 3D animations.

Thanks for that info! Maybe, I'll wait awhile...

i'd make sure that your PC or laptop is marked 'vista-ready' before upgrading. if not, wait until you get a new computer. the expense of the new OS plus the upgrades that would be necessary in order to take advantage of all its features wouldn't be worth it, since most people replace their computers after a couple of years anyway.

i've heard the new OS is cool, and from what i've seen it's got some stuff that's similar to the OS on my roommate's macbook pro. i've had my laptop for about 2.5 years, so i won't be upgrading. it's been an excellent laptop and does everything i need it to do and more, so i think introducing a new OS would just stress the system, and upgrading laptop hardware is more expensive and difficult than PC upgrades. but i'll probably get a new one in a year or two, so i'll have vista eventually. unless i get a MAC!

I've heard you need a lot of memory for Vista too! It looks good though.. but all it's been done by mac already, promise!

For all us apple fans here's a joke :P
915.gif

Just a caution to all of you who want to upgrade...make sure you carefully look at the specifcations of your PC...I don't think XP will be obsolete anytime soon...and while Vista may have some cool features, it is a resource hog. If you're getting a new PC, get vista, but I wouldn't bother upgrading older PCs, I don't think it is worth the performance sacrifice.

Aka I agree with eucalyptic ;)