Will I never shop at Bloomingdales again???

"possible outcome of discount shopping online" Excuse me, Bloomingdales is not a 'discount' retailer! You are accepting that this day in age retailers are using computer inventory control that's totally inaccurate? That the bag was still available online the next day, that's how little they care about their inventory accuracy!

Welcome to 2014--if a retailer cares about their customers they don't have an inventory system from the dinosaur age! Inventory control is not rocket science--this is a very basic function that retailers have been using for decades. This is just an electronic version of bate and switch!
Discount shopping doesn't necessarily mean at a discount RETAILER. it means buying something at a discount. if you buy a very popular item at a very DISCOUNTED rate, it's going to be very desirable.

i don't think you have a grasp on how online inventory works. the amount of stock a retailer has typically doesn't update instantly. it's usually refreshed every 1-15 minutes, depending on the retailer's system. additionally, when you add an item to cart, you don't have a hold on it. it's not like walking into a store, picking up a bag and walking around with it. let's say there's one black bag left. you add it to your cart. i ALSO add it to my cart right away. you shop around for sunglasses while i check out. in some case, the bag will now disappear from your cart. in some cases, you'll still be able to check out...and then get a cancellation email.

from a retailer's perspective, this is absolutely NOT bait and switch. bait and switch means you bought something but received something else. that is NOT what happened to you. you had an order cancelled. it's frustrating, yes. but there's nothing shady, wrong, illegal, or unethical about it.

and, typically, depending on where you live you won't be charged for an item til it ships. in many states, that's the law. so again - frustrating, annoying - but NOT illegal or shady.

Discount shopping doesn't necessarily mean at a discount RETAILER. it means buying something at a discount. if you buy a very popular item at a very DISCOUNTED rate, it's going to be very desirable.

....and, typically, depending on where you live you won't be charged for an item til it ships. in many states, that's the law. so again - frustrating, annoying - but NOT illegal or shady.

Just want to point out that it is not law...it is perfectly legal for a merchant to charge prior to shipping - however most reputable retailers don't do it because it isn't good business practice. The Fair credit billing act doesn't address whether or not it is illegal for the merchant to charge before shipping but they do make it illegal to not ship within an advertised time frame. Some credit card companies have regulations that forbid the merchant to charge before shipping.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre28.shtm

Anyhoo, sorry to get off track. I personally do not care for Bloomingdale's. I much prefer Nordstrom and have always received excellent customer service when shopping there. The way Bloomingdale's handled your situation seems very shady to me - at the very least they could have found the bag for you and honored the discount. To tell you to "go do it yourself" is just poor service.

But I do agree that merchandise can often run out before you can check out. I've had this happen to me several times at different retailers, and not just on discounted merchandise. It just is what it is. A lot of sites are starting to hold item(s) in your shopping bag for a few minutes to allow you time to check out so they are probably aware of this problem. Saks, Asos and I think Shopbop do this but the amount of time they will hold it varies for each retailer.

Does anybody have any experience on Uggs and returns at bloomingdales?

I bought a pair of uggs and used them for like 2-3 months. I bought the classic short in black. After like 10 uses they have turned grayish with some random whitish stains. I did wear them in the snow. When i look inside the shoe, the wool is very scarce and looks like its not filled in certain areas? Will they exchange them out for the same pair? Do you think I got a crappy Pair, idk they were ridiculously expensive and scared i'm stuck with ****ty shoes :sad:

Perhaps you should contact UGG directly. I bought a pair of defective sparkle UGGS and they were willing to take them back...They said they were covered for a year against defects.

I contacted them via the web.

Things I hate about Bloomingdales.com

They don't own/run there own website at least that's what I've been told and that's why...
The prices can differ between the web and the store
They won't match the instore price and until recently I couldn't get the store to match the online prices

My home address isn't recognized as valid and I need to call customer service to place orders

Must spend $150 for free shipping even though I'm a bloomies card holder

When I try to add something to my cart and "item is unavailable" ... beyond frustrating.

I try to avoid shopping with them because these are issues I seem to have on a regular basis...But my instore experience isn't nearly as awful it's actually usually pretty good and I'll find a great deal on shoes or a bag and so the cycle continues.

I prefer Nordstrom they're easy going about price matching and shipping is free. Last week I wanted some boots they didn't have in my size at bloomies they wanted to charge $15 for shipping. I said "no thanks I'll just go to nordstrom where the will match your price and ship for free". It sucks for the SA cuz I know it's not there fault.