Why?

I just want to say that all the posters on this thread are amazing people:smile:

I think the mixing pot of members here is so eclectic and so very interesting,if your colleagues would huff and puff about an amount spent on a little bit of silk joy is that not a form of elitism?:smile: I myself have to save very hard for anything I choose to buy , in a way that makes it that extra bit special to me but I love to see all the reveals and to share in the H experience of all.

Welcome to Tpf and if you have the time how about a little photo of the naughty scarf?

Last edited:
I want to echo much of what has been very eloquently stated so far in this thread. I discovered H in October and have since been on a quest to complete my invisioned collection.

The quality is the price tag. Every company has a mark up and Hermes is not immune, but as with most true luxury brands you really do get what you pay for, something that will last a lifetime!

I recently said to an SA at the Americana store, "it's perfect, I go the gap and get my clothes and then I come here and get my accesories!"

wassit welcome to the forum, Speaking from my own experience I try to buy what I would wear, enjoy and cherish. The prices to me are a consideration and that makes me take time to consider (and sometimes I take too long and miss an opportunity to get what I want) what is really right for me. The scarf you are considering is beautiful (it was one I took to long considering) but only if you will be thrilled with your purchase and wear it with joy and no regrets. Everyone needs some beauty in their lives!!!

papertiger I really enjoyed reading the history of the scarf -- thank you for taking the time!

Welcome, Wassit! Hang around you'll really like it here! Terrific group of people form all walks of life! Congrats on your twilly and sounds like you have been bitten hard by the Hermes bug but look out, that first Hermes step is a doozie!!!! There is no turning back now! Check out my scarf thread and you'll see what I'm talking about!

I am absolutely astounded by the sincerity, depth of thought and friendliness of the responses here. This was just a quick check-in to see if anyone answered. I didn't expect this. I don't have time to do justice to a response just now. I'll write tonight. Big hugs to you all :smile:

I am absolutely astounded by the sincerity, depth of thought and friendliness of the responses here. This was just a quick check-in to see if anyone answered. I didn't expect this. I don't have time to do justice to a response just now. I'll write tonight. Big hugs to you all :smile:

you know my wife thinks H is so elitist but the ladies of TPF are an amazingly generous, kind and just all around great group of ladies and gents. and not all of us are wealthy, i have officially dubbed myself "wealth challenged" all of my H purchases have been under $200 per item, and i am starting to have a collection to really be proud of!

Love to see a pic of your new Twilly!! I, like you just love the cute little round box
and pretty brown ribbon too! I appreciate the beautiful packaging from France!

One of the most underrated and under-emphasized aspects to sustainability is longevity. Hermes items last more than a lifetime because of their unparalleled quality and enduring beauty. I wear each item with joy and pleasure. Such a lift to one's spirit!

One of the most underrated and under-emphasized aspects to sustainability is longevity. Hermes items last more than a lifetime because of their unparalleled quality and enduring beauty. I wear each item with joy and pleasure. Such a lift to one's spirit!

i could not agree more!!

have you read the book Cheap: The High Cost of Discount Culture by Ellen Ruppel Shell it is one book that really changed how i see the world.

it just talks about how the hunt for ever cheaper items has lead to the reduction of quality to the point of causing use harm and the earth.

in all honesty sign i started to love LV and H, i buy A LOT less, but i also buy more carefully not just in H and LV but everywhere in life. and it honestly has helped to make me happier. and the funny thing is by spending less on things that break or are poorly made i have more to spend on things that matter.

Hi everyone.

There are now so many wonderful comments on this thread that I won't respond to each one individually, it will take forever. However, a few responses are mandatory:

Firstly to catch you up on what you have enabled me to do :P: I 'accidentally' just bought a different plisse on ebay. I put in a bid that I didn't think would win, and it did. So I've already graduated to the bigger stuff. I have realised through that purchase, that I can pay < AUD$ 250 for a beautiful scarf on ebay. I had it authenticated by a wonderful person on this site. So I am going to sit tight and wait and hope that my Femme aux semelles de vent comes up on ebay - in plisse or straight.

Allanrvj: hahaha, I think your first line was about right, but wtf....
Luv2shophandbag: I am basically following your advice, thanks. I just hope that not too many more irrisistable bargains come up on ebay while I a watching though, hehe.
Papertiger: eloquently put, thank you so very much. I travel a lot in Asia myself, and have a lot in common with Alexandra David-Neel in other ways. So I have to have that scarf. But I'll wait until I can hunt one that suits my budget more than the $AUD600 they want for a newie in Hermes Heaven.

I love the 'cost per wear' rationalisation/reasoning. It's probably true. I'll come back and tell you next year how that's going (although I expect I'll be around in the meantime).

A few academics here - and in Australia we don't get paid very well considering qualifications required, so it's not because of income. Wonder what that's about?

Finally for now... thank you ALL. I am so happy to be welcomed to this group. Other web discussion boards get so upppity, especially to newbies. This one is incredibly welcoming and counter to stereotype of 'upper class snobbiness' that Hermes can evidently attract.

Finally....my first 'reveal' - as requested:

Attachments

• P1020177.JPG
    P1020177.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 1,640
  • P1020178.JPG
    P1020178.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 243