Why?

i could not agree more!!

have you read the book Cheap: The High Cost of Discount Culture by Ellen Ruppel Shell it is one book that really changed how i see the world.

it just talks about how the hunt for ever cheaper items has lead to the reduction of quality to the point of causing use harm and the earth.

This is my last pop in and post tonight and then off to a late bed time... I totally agree with you and everyone about the difference in quality and how much of an overall impact it makes. I found tpf on a whim because I have untill this year been a "coach" girl, when I went to he boutique this year I fould the bags to be lacking a certain quality I have been used to. When I found Hermes and held my first bag I understood what all the hype was about and have not turned back...

To Wassit,

If I have not said so yet, WELCOME and enjoy your Twilly!

There is a world of knowledge on tpf about how to buy previously loved items and, as long as you follow the very simple rules the authenticators are an invaluble resource to make sure what you are getting is the real thing. And we all love to share and enjoy, be it thousands or a small but I am sure stunning twilly!

Hi everyone.

There are now so many wonderful comments on this thread that I won't respond to each one individually, it will take forever. However, a few responses are mandatory:

Firstly to catch you up on what you have enabled me to do :P: I 'accidentally' just bought a different plisse on ebay. I put in a bid that I didn't think would win, and it did. So I've already graduated to the bigger stuff. I have realised through that purchase, that I can pay < AUD$ 250 for a beautiful scarf on ebay. I had it authenticated by a wonderful person on this site. So I am going to sit tight and wait and hope that my Femme aux semelles de vent comes up on ebay - in plisse or straight.

Allanrvj: hahaha, I think your first line was about right, but wtf....
Luv2shophandbag: I am basically following your advice, thanks. I just hope that not too many more irrisistable bargains come up on ebay while I a watching though, hehe.
Papertiger: eloquently put, thank you so very much. I travel a lot in Asia myself, and have a lot in common with Alexandra David-Neel in other ways. So I have to have that scarf. But I'll wait until I can hunt one that suits my budget more than the $AUD600 they want for a newie in Hermes Heaven.

I love the 'cost per wear' rationalisation/reasoning. It's probably true. I'll come back and tell you next year how that's going (although I expect I'll be around in the meantime).

A few academics here - and in Australia we don't get paid very well considering qualifications required, so it's not because of income. Wonder what that's about?

Finally for now... thank you ALL. I am so happy to be welcomed to this group. Other web discussion boards get so upppity, especially to newbies. This one is incredibly welcoming and counter to stereotype of 'upper class snobbiness' that Hermes can evidently attract.

Finally....my first 'reveal' - as requested:

This is just sooooooo pretty!:smile:

attachment.php

Welcome to tPF and congrats to your lovely twilly. It looks really gorgeous on you!

More importantly, your heartfelt message touched me greatly! The question you asked is the same Q I've been asking myself too!

I have to thank Katel for the well-said statment! Also Allanrvj's words on filling the empty void hit me hard! Yes, I'm one of those :yes: I've always pictured myself to work in an academic field and dress smartly and yes H fits the bill! But I have to give up my career dream to be a stay at home mom. Very low self-esteem indeed, especially when you seeing your friends advance with their career. My everyday life does not required me to dress up. I spend most of my time in the kitchen! So H is my only luxury comfort!

You asked: Am I having a mid-life crisis (just turned 50)? May I say, yes! You are falling in a slippery Orange slope. But don't worry! You can count on us:graucho:

Hi new friends. :cloud9:

Adrneish, sorry I missed you out in my first response, you were so sweet and encouraging, and now made me feel nice about the photo. I threaded my new love-twilly through a u-shaped chignon pick. Works very well and stops me from being afraid of it slipping out of my hair such as in a pony tail or on a hair pin. It would be impossible to fall without me noticing.

Katlindy don't ever underestimate what you do or overestimate what I do. I actually was a big hippy, left home at 15 and then, when I got sick of it, had an existential crisis at about 20. I went back to school part time, studied for about twenty years and finally ended up with a PhD and a job teaching in a uni, which is quite nice. But my best friend is unable to read and write having been 'brought up' with basically no parents in a developing country. She is WAY smarter than many of the people I work with. She cares for other people's children in her home and does very well. I don't know how she does it, I really admire people who can wrangle kids! So you deserve every minute of your H habit :hugs:.

As for the mid life crisis, well guys can buy convertable red cars and die their beards inappropriate dark colours. I guess buying expensive scarves is much more reasonable, hehe.

'

Hi everyone.

There are now so many wonderful comments on this thread that I won't respond to each one individually, it will take forever. However, a few responses are mandatory:

Firstly to catch you up on what you have enabled me to do :P: I 'accidentally' just bought a different plisse on ebay. I put in a bid that I didn't think would win, and it did. So I've already graduated to the bigger stuff. I have realised through that purchase, that I can pay < AUD$ 250 for a beautiful scarf on ebay. I had it authenticated by a wonderful person on this site. So I am going to sit tight and wait and hope that my Femme aux semelles de vent comes up on ebay - in plisse or straight.

Allanrvj: hahaha, I think your first line was about right, but wtf....
Luv2shophandbag: I am basically following your advice, thanks. I just hope that not too many more irrisistable bargains come up on ebay while I a watching though, hehe.
Papertiger: eloquently put, thank you so very much. I travel a lot in Asia myself, and have a lot in common with Alexandra David-Neel in other ways. So I have to have that scarf. But I'll wait until I can hunt one that suits my budget more than the $AUD600 they want for a newie in Hermes Heaven.

I love the 'cost per wear' rationalisation/reasoning. It's probably true. I'll come back and tell you next year how that's going (although I expect I'll be around in the meantime).

A few academics here - and in Australia we don't get paid very well considering qualifications required, so it's not because of income. Wonder what that's about?

Finally for now... thank you ALL. I am so happy to be welcomed to this group. Other web discussion boards get so upppity, especially to newbies. This one is incredibly welcoming and counter to stereotype of 'upper class snobbiness' that Hermes can evidently attract.

Finally....my first 'reveal' - as requested:

attachment.php

wow that is a great and hard to find twilly i have been on a mad hunt for one in that style and found none!! so you are very lucky indeed!!!

Hi new friends. :cloud9:

Adrneish, sorry I missed you out in my first response, you were so sweet and encouraging, and now made me feel nice about the photo. I threaded my new love-twilly through a u-shaped chignon pick. Works very well and stops me from being afraid of it slipping out of my hair such as in a pony tail or on a hair pin. It would be impossible to fall without me noticing.

Katlindy don't ever underestimate what you do or overestimate what I do. I actually was a big hippy, left home at 15 and then, when I got sick of it, had an existential crisis at about 20. I went back to school part time, studied for about twenty years and finally ended up with a PhD and a job teaching in a uni, which is quite nice. But my best friend is unable to read and write having been 'brought up' with basically no parents in a developing country. She is WAY smarter than many of the people I work with. She cares for other people's children in her home and does very well. I don't know how she does it, I really admire people who can wrangle kids! So you deserve every minute of your H habit :hugs:.

As for the mid life crisis, well guys can buy convertable red cars and die their beards inappropriate dark colours. I guess buying expensive scarves is much more reasonable, hehe.

'

Thank you for your kind & comfort word, Wassit! It means a lot to me :tender: I sincerely congratulate you for what you have achieved. More importantly, I truly admire your humility. At the same time, you also made me a little jealous. You are one of those friends of mine who got PhD and live my dream!! I got PhD but wasted it, big time! Sometimes I feel sorry for my own parents too! They supported me throughout my study and their DD ends up at home, being someone's in-law:sad:

Oh I'm so sorry for my rant. Actually I'm in tPF because I want to escape the reality!! So I should enjoy tPF :yes: I have met so many love friends here and I'm thankful for this :ty:tPF!
Btw, may I ask, are you Oi Oi Oi? I feel you are!!

Wassit-Congratulations! Love your Bolduc twilly, it looks fabulous on your ponytail and
there is a thread on ode to the twilly or show us your twillys that will show you the
many different ways you can wear them. I use mine wrapped around my wrist or
neck or on a purse, and I know one member ties them on her boots (so cute)!
So happy about your new scarf that you found on ebay, a Plisse is gorgeous, and I am
looking for one too! They always look so pretty knotted!
I agree with wiggly, and find myself buying so much less because of the quality of
most things today and really appreciate the care that is put into "H"! I enjoy reading
about their history!
H is so fascinating to read about, the more you learn, the more you love it!
So glad you have joined us and looking forward to your next scarf!

that twilly colorway is absolutely fabulous on you! it looks great against your beautiful hair

i won't say anything, the others have posted eloquently and elegantly and i loved reading through this thread, so thanks for starting it :smile:

The bolduc twilly looks stunning on you!

And congratulations on your new plisse! If you love travel, H is cheaper in Paris than in Australia... (only a little enabling... couldn't resist)