Why is terrorism always the reason, handbags, diamonds...

Is your sister in law saying that you should have fake LVs b/c the real ones are unethically made with leather? She's clearly jealous of your bags if that's the case. She may think that she's P.C. but diamond mining is a far more contentious issue than animal rights world wide. Most cowhide used on leathergoods comes from cows that are already going to be used for food. I hate to say it, but those cows are going to be slaughtered regardless, thus, one might as well use every product that comes out of the animal and not allow for waste.

In the case of your sister in law, however, there are alternatives to buying blood diamonds, which she ought to be made aware of before she begins ranting and raving about her so-called "beliefs." She should either buy canadian diamonds (like you), or vintage jewelry if she really wants to be honest with herself.

She does sound like a hypocrite, and an unpleasant in-law, to boot!
yes canadian diamonds...they are the best:drool:

They're linked to terrorism because the link IS indeed there. A Google search will come up with many reports.

Regarding your other comments, what would you suggest we do with North Korea? The Iraqi war? It took us many, many weeks to get in there, and we have satellite photos of the trucks heading off to Syria in that time. What was in them? Who knows. I'm just glad we went in because 1.3 million people were dead or missing because of Saddam, and if someone didn't take him out, one of his sons would have eventually taken over. The reports I've seen indicated that they were even more brutal that daddy was.

I started a thread several weeks ago about the whole diamond/hypocrite/luxurybags issue, which was hotly debated.

Things are linked to terrorism half the time simply to polarize people against it/them. As in 'starting a war.'

Notice North Korea actually HAS a nuclear weapon, and the US doesn't do anything, (which goes completely opposite bush's "pre-emptive strike" mandate he 'established' with Iraq) and yet we started an enormous war with a country with dubious and questionable proof of WMDs? Why?

'TERRORISM.'

In the first case, you're talking about an unborn child vs. someone that chose to kill another human being. The death penalty is used when the crime is horrendous and cold blooded. In the latter, it's a very small group of people that would bomb an abortion clinic, and once again, they're adults making that choice, not an unborn child that had nothing to do with their own creation.

That kind of hypocrisy puts me in mind of people who are against abortion, but support the death penalty. Or who are against abortion, but will blow up abortion clinics killing the people inside.

I'll just throw in a couple pennies of thought..

just say...even if counterfeit goods are not funding Organized crime, terroism etc....it is bottom line copy right infridgement..which is totally against the LAW..

It also drives up the prices of the actual authentic item....which is a bummer to us all.

There's a difference between a country like America having nukes and others that are being run by despots that believe in mass murder. People who let their own citizens starve to death so they can pursue endless military spending aren't exactly high on the humanitarian scale are they?

BTW, Bush made it through Harvard, and those that have worked with him have said he's extremely intelligent. Yeah, I support the war. 1.3 million missing and dead with Saddam in power and more to come if his sons took over? Now that's truly scary.

and i think it's ok for other countries except america to own a nuclear weapon, because apparently bush is not so wise himself, what?? attacking another country just like that without any proofs??? i disliked him...

ITA. You just do the best you can.

I could debate & go on & on, but as an individual & as a consumer, you have to pick your battles, so to speak, & go with that. I've picked mine & stuck w/ them for years, of course, I'm always adding new ones as time goes on....
But, it does feel good to stand up against something, stand for what you think is right, & do it everyday. If more people did, the world would be much better off.

i'm sorry, but why would LV increase their prices if there are more fakes?

i mean wouldn't they want to be more competitive by lowering their prices instead of becoming less competitive by increasing their prices?

i think the only reason they increase their price is because there are more demands, and based on economic 101 increased demands = increased prices?

instead of looking the price increase as a bad thing, why dont we all look at it from a different angle.

imagine if you bought a speedy 5 years ago or something (LV is supposed to last many years right..), aren't you happy that your bag has increased in price instead of decreased?

its like luxury watches (rolex, etc etc), they also increase in price from year to year, and its a good thing.

imagine if their price stays the same over the years, and everything else changes (eg. wages increase). that will make more and more people be able to buy LV easily.

i'm not so sure if that is a good thing, as LV will become something common and not associated with a luxury which we all enjoy and love at the moment.

I'll just throw in a couple pennies of thought..

just say...even if counterfeit goods are not funding Organized crime, terroism etc....it is bottom line copy right infridgement..which is totally against the LAW..

It also drives up the prices of the actual authentic item....which is a bummer to us all.

BTW, Bush made it through Harvard, and those that have worked with him have said he's extremely intelligent. Yeah, I support the war. 1.3 million missing and dead with Saddam in power and more to come if his sons took over? Now that's truly scary.

Actually, it was Yale, and he only was granted acceptance through legacy because his daddy went there. Same case for G.W. Bush's daughter. I'm sorry, but "extremely intelligent" and Bush do not belong in the same sentence together. Yale is known famously for padding its grades to preserve its academic reputation (It's rare for anyone to graduate under a 3.0), and for G.W. Bush to graduate with a C- average as he did is not impressing me at all. Any idiot who had daddy's money to help him bribe his way through life could do the same.

Actually, it was Yale, and he was only granted acceptance through legacy because his daddy went there. Same case for G.W. Bush's daughter. I'm sorry, but "extremely intelligent" and Bush do not belong in the same sentence together. Yale is known famously for padding its grades to preserve its academic reputation (The bottom 20% still graduates with a 3.0), and for G.W. Bush to graduate with a C- average as he did is not impressing me at all. The only "memorable" thing about Bush's time spent there was all the coke he did through college. Any idiot who had daddy's money to help him bribe his way through life could do the same.
He did receive his M.B.A. from Harvard, although it would be safe to presume that it wasn't his outstanding academics, but rather family connections and money, that got him in again. Anyone care to take a guess at what his class standing was in the business program?

To assume someone is "extremely intelligent" just because of the school they attended is rather brashly jumping into conclusions, isn't it? By this same token, is everyone who graduated from a state school or community college unintelligent? You are ignoring the extenuating circumstances that got him in there in the first place. We are talking about a guy with no significant academic accomplishments other than being captain of the cheerleading squad at an ALL BOYS ACADEMY.

Bush's feeble attempts at foreign policy have gotten our nation into a god-awful situation for a long time to come. What's next... Iran? North Korea? Somalia? I'm sad that our country will not be able to enjoy peacetime for years to come, and don't forget this is all at the expense of more American troops and defense spending. All in the name of TERRORISM, a word so conveniently packaged by the Bush administration as a scapegoat for all things of interest to U.S. advancement, so as to be palatable to the next unassuming (and uninformed) American.
Please do your research and decide then for yourself if you truly are a Bush and war supporter. If you still feel the same way, then you are entitled to your opinion, but i'm afraid we won't be getting along...