Why is patina seen as a good thing?

I seriously love the patina'd look of bags. Compared to my cerise speedy, my mono speedy looks like a baby! I know it should have been the other way around, but I didn't really get into LV until the MC line came out. Just recently, I decided to get one like my grandma had back in the early 80's. Hers looks beautiful, from pictures I've seen of her carrying it. Too bad her sister (my grand-aunt, I guess you'd call her) took it after my grandma passed away. Granted, I was only about 4 when she died, so I wouldn't have even known what I had if I ended up with it... I'm pretty sure by now it looks amazing, still! ;)

I much prefer a nice patina to the look of the brand new almost ivory vachetta. No patina just screams "new bag!" in a not so good way. I adore a bag that looks loved and that has some history. I feel more nonchalant and subtle carrying a bag that has been broken in, ykwim?

I'm OK with screaming "new bag". I'm not a big fan of patina, particularly on the combination Azur/patina. :smile:

Boy I want as light a patina on my DA Neverfull when I get her, as possible. I think that the DAs just look better with a lighter patina. I read a way help her handles get water resistant without darkening her, so that is number one, number two is, when I am zooming around in my car all day, I am going to get her a sun bonnet of sorts.....basically a light drape to protect her handles. Of course she will be stored out of the sun. I don't plan to carry her too often, but between protecting her light patina and preventing color transfer, she will be the most high maintenence bag I have. I do not care in the least because she is simply *fabulous* , and that is all there is to it! Cannot *wait* to add her to my family.

Last edited:
Wow! Super duper old thread! I had to wipe some dust off of it to read anything...

I love the patina process, though. Especially on any DA canvas bags.

LOL! I got all excited thinking some of our TPF elders had returned.
I love Patina too - it is what makes LV, well, LV - often replicated, never duplicated.

I have always like my bags on the light side. But now I like them with a little patina. My Speedy is about 1 year and half old and I love the patina on it so far. I just got my Menilmontant and even though it was in excellent condition..........it is very light. It is winter here so not much sun to turn her. So looking forward to this summer. Going to FL in a week I might have to bring her to get some sun!

When I purchased my Speedy last month, I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it. But after seeing the virgin vachetta and seeing the lovely pics on this forums, I'm definitely looking forward to the process. Also, I noticed a woman at my faith group this past Tuesday evening with a Palermo PM and the patina looked beautiful. I couldn't help but compliment her and then she noticed my Neverfull. Such a cool moment!

I like light patina - natural honey/tan in colour, but I hate that icky dirty black/brown colour some of them get tho....

I agree, light patina is ok, I can't stand when it's dirty black. I am so freaked out that I buy a handle protector when I hold the bag. Thats why i favor the DE collection.

CPA said:
I agree, light patina is ok, I can't stand when it's dirty black. I am so freaked out that I buy a handle protector when I hold the bag. Thats why i favor the DE collection.

Same here!! This is the only reason i got the speedy DE! Not a fan of a aged and darkened mono (even though I own a mono- it's a cross body so its got a pretty even patina since straps are rarely touched)

I wish DA bags had ivory coated leather like DE bags have the brown coated leather. They can save the vachetta for mono bags! I think when my Speedy DA starts to patina, I'll sell her off. But she's beautiful brand new! :smile:

20130109_174537.jpg

I bought the one on the right pre-owned. Couldn't deal with the dark dirty looking vachetta. So I bought the one on the left. Also pre-owned. I find the one on the left doesn't have the broken in feeling that the one on the right does.

I like patina a lot, it makes the bag look "warmer" when it has a nice honey brown patina. I've also seen some vintage ones that have gone a lovely dark-whiskey brown. That looks gorgeous too. Every bag's patina is different, usually with marks that reflect its journey with its owner. I can't stand the pale vachetta on a mono bag. It's just too white!

I've noticed that a lot of people don't care for patina on azur bags. I admit that new vachetta on azur looks lovely, but I think they look great with patina too...it gives them some character. Besides, it would be impossible to keep them from developing patina anyway. So why not embrace it?