"why does this bag cost 1550.00?"

I dunno... I guess I'm a little skeptical considering I design and work with production on handbags. the most expensive thing on that bag is the quilting on the leather... closely followed up by the costs for the quality control testing... $1550, however, I am not seeing. thank you for posting this article!! :smile:

I think that article would explain why the bag cost $400; but not $1,550!

They appear to be leaving out the marketing, the shows, the prime location overheads of their offices and stores and of course, paying the designers.

Not to mention the sheer popularity of designer bags, lately; which means that they seem to, generally, be marked-up higher than most other designer items.

I think that article would explain why the bag cost $400; but not $1,550!

They appear to be leaving out the marketing, the shows, the prime location overheads of their offices and stores and of course, paying the designers.

Not to mention the sheer popularity of designer bags, lately; which means that they seem to, generally, be marked-up higher than most other designer items.
LOL I was going to speculate exactly that, but since I haven't read the article, obviously, I can't say for sure.

But for almost all brand name products, the largest cost involved from raw material to consumer does involve marketing, advertising, packaging, this last not so much for handbags, but the point is that the highest costs don't really involve making the cream so much as selling the dream, which, to be fair, is what a lot of people are buying!

And the presence of any ads for bags in that particular issue will be pure coincidence. Probably purchased months before, when the issue was just a few article ideas barely sketched out.

:tup: Good looking bags that *don't* cost as much because they don't have multi-million dollar marketing campaigns and $10,000 an hour models never seem to be featured. Once they do a special on why my $2000+ bag has given me more problems than my Hayden Harnett bags, I'll believe the hype.