Why do you think Bottega Venetas resale is so bad?

Jul 18, 2011
Just asking out of curiosity. Regardless if the resale I will always buy Bv bags. I love bottega and own multiple BV bags. Obviously the hyped bags at the moment hold most of their value (for a while) but most BV tank immediately after you purchase. Why do you think that is? In my opinion bottegas quality surpasses majority of the designer houses. Their designs are unique and timeless. Feel free to share your opinions!

Edited to add- did a search and couldn’t find it but if this is already discussed feel free to merge :smile:

I think there’s a hardcore group of fans for each of the recent designers. Here you will find a lot of Tomas Maier fans, who got me into the brand. I really like the understated designs and timelessness and I carry bags both purchased new and mainly purchased secondhand. Some were marked down significantly from retail and others depending on demand are a bit higher but still well under retail.

My opinion is the understated ethos lends itself to lower resale prices. People aren’t looking specifically for brand recognition as with products that have a lot of logos. And till recently the brand didn’t seem to cultivate a relationship with influencers so media coverage wasn’t prominent except for magazine ads.

Edited to correct typos.

I think there’s a hardcore group of fans for each of the recent designers. Here you will find a lot of Tomas Maier fans, who got me into the brand. I really like the understated designs and timelessness and I carry bags both purchased new and mainly purchased secondhand. Some were marked down significantly from retail and others depending on demand are a big higher but still well under retail.

My opinion is the understated ethos lends itself to lower resale prices. People aren’t looking specifically for brand recognition as with products that have a lot of logos. And till recently the brand didn’t seem to cultivate a relationship with influencers so media coverage wasn’t prominent except for magazine ads.
Very good points!! I can definitely see the fans/customers preferring one of the more recent creative directors. They have all been extremely different Lol! And BV is definitely understated (except for maybe some the Daniel Lee era lol :P)

Reactions: jbags07 and rose80
Not popular or exclusive enough.
Not on social media, Housewives TV shows etc.
If they raised prices and pretended there was scarcity of stock, it would be more popular.
They're already working on the price hikes, and there was supposedly a shortage of The Pouch when it first came out (they were actually all already on the resale sites), so they’re getting there. I just feel they need to raise the price of the Cassette Bag and Mini Jodie to about $8000 or so, tell people there’s very limited stock, and pretend you need a pre-spend. Voilà!
I’ve never sold a bag in my life so it has no effect on me, but if anyone is willing to wait it out, you can get a real bargain on the various resale sites. If the style is as timeless as they say, you‘ll be wearing your bargain for the next 30 years.
Let’s be honest though, it’s only Chanel and Hermès that have inflated resale prices. Every other premier designer‘s bags are a fraction of the price they originally sold for. It’s the same for shoes and clothing as well. Hermès and Chanel shoes and accessories hold their value, while Ferragamo shoes and Missoni sweaters can be bought for a fraction of the original price. I don’t believe quality has anything to do with it. It’s all about the name/brand and nothing else. JMO as always.

Not popular or exclusive enough.
Not on social media, Housewives TV shows etc.
If they raised prices and pretended there was scarcity of stock, it would be more popular.
They're already working on the price hikes, and there was supposedly a shortage of The Pouch when it first came out (they were actually all already on the resale sites), so they’re getting there. I just feel they need to raise the price of the Cassette Bag and Mini Jodie to about $8000 or so, tell people there’s very limited stock, and pretend you need a pre-spend. Voilà!
I’ve never sold a bag in my life so it has no effect on me, but if anyone is willing to wait it out, you can get a real bargain on the various resale sites. If the style is as timeless as they say, you‘ll be wearing your bargain for the next 30 years.
Let’s be honest though, it’s only Chanel and Hermès that have inflated resale prices. Every other premier designer‘s bags are a fraction of the price they originally sold for. It’s the same for shoes and clothing as well. Hermès and Chanel shoes and accessories hold their value, while Ferragamo shoes and Missoni sweaters can be bought for a fraction of the original price. I don’t believe quality has anything to do with it. It’s all about the name/brand and nothing else. JMO as always.
"Influencers" likely could give the brand a shot in the arm but that means stepping out of their
familiar Chanel & Hermes soapbox, JMO
Quiet luxury is speaking so clearly these days..

Agree with all of the above. In addition, I got the feeling that BV was clearly trying to pivot away from the timeless TM styles towards DL, and perhaps that also contributed.

Agree.. BV thought they would capture a younger client which I'm sure they did with DL
How successful they were remains another story & who knows how many older(not in years) clients
they lost by changing their strategy..

Last edited:
This is a very interesting topic to me because I collect BV jewelry. I'm shocked by the high price tags for new pieces and equally surprised at the tremendous discount in the secondary market, regardless of condition. Much of the jewelry is exceptionally well designed and engineered, yet it can go for less than common designer pieces made in large quantity. I am wondering whether this drop in value is partly explained by the specificity of BV accessories with their colors and styles tied to identifiable collections that then become out of date in the perception of consumers.

This is a very interesting topic to me because I collect BV jewelry. I'm shocked by the high price tags for new pieces and equally surprised at the tremendous discount in the secondary market, regardless of condition. Much of the jewelry is exceptionally well designed and engineered, yet it can go for less than common designer pieces made in large quantity. I am wondering whether this drop in value is partly explained by the specificity of BV accessories with their colors and styles tied to identifiable collections that then become out of date in the perception of consumers.
If you are willing, please share some photos of your jewelry collection. I don't have any BV jewelry but I know some members here are enthusiastic collectors! I haven't poked around the various threads looking specifically for one about jewelry, but there may be one.

I also request a peek at your BV jewelry collection. Love the jewelry! I have a couple of the leather knot brackets that I adore.

Reactions: jbags07