Why do you think Bottega Venetas resale is so bad?

This is a great post. I think all of the replies were pretty insightful and answered the question really well. I agree with V0N that every brand except Chanel, (some) LV and Hermes have terrible resale, and a main reason those brands/specific styles have such good resale is exclusivity — they are hard to find in boutiques, or are past season styles or colors that are sought after. So BV isn’t alone in terrible resale….Celine, Gucci, Ferragamo, Mulberry, Valentino, etc etc all have not so great resale either. Unless its a style thats still hugely popular and sought after (largely influencer driven these days).

I am a bit of a collector at heart and love TM BV too much :lol: I have way too many bags to ever be able to properly use and i have sold quite a few bags in the past year in an effort to downsize. I came late to BV just after TM left. I was fortunate to pick up a few bags new (outlet), but the rest were purchased resale. And even tho resale prices are way lower then the retail was, i still am lucky to get 20-30% of what i paid. Unless its a special Knot or Cabat. It makes me more careful now with what i add, to be sure a style, color, or size will work for me….but those of us who love BV are here for the quality, artistry, and deliciousness of Bottega Veneta. I stray occasionally, and love a few other brands too, but i am always drawn back into BV-Land. Frankly, i don’t understand the folks who think the bags are plain and uninteresting. The quality of the leather, the hardware, and the incredible quality of how they are constructed is breathtaking. To me, these bags are priceless. The ones I’ve let go, i really struggled with selling. I find them all beautiful lol, and imo none are out of style. Style is what you make it. I buy what i like and carry what i like. And i really have not met a TM BV bag i did not like!

At the end of the day tho, most bags are like cars. Drive them off the lot and the value goes down. And the value declines with each passing year, as you put more wear and miles on the car, and as newer, flashier, more updated models are released. I do think b/c of this, its important to be in touch with what works for you, and if you’ve carried and enjoyed a bag for a long time, you’ve gotten your moneys worth. Investing in bags for the long haul eliminates the stress of large potential financial losses. But, most of us are here on TPF b/c we like buying bags, and we keep buying bags, lolol. And so financial losses are inevitable. Bags are really not an investment. Last year i traded in my 5 year old car/85k miles, that i paid 32k for, and the dealer only gave me 11k for it. That was a huge hit. So for a 10k Cabat to sell for 2250 on TRR, isn’t really so bad when you think about it. Thats my 2 cents at least!

This is a great post. I think all of the replies were pretty insightful and answered the question really well. I agree with V0N that every brand except Chanel, (some) LV and Hermes have terrible resale, and a main reason those brands/specific styles have such good resale is exclusivity — they are hard to find in boutiques, or are past season styles or colors that are sought after. So BV isn’t alone in terrible resale….Celine, Gucci, Ferragamo, Mulberry, Valentino, etc etc all have not so great resale either. Unless its a style thats still hugely popular and sought after (largely influencer driven these days).

I am a bit of a collector at heart and love TM BV too much :lol: I have way too many bags to ever be able to properly use and i have sold quite a few bags in the past year in an effort to downsize. I came late to BV just after TM left. I was fortunate to pick up a few bags new (outlet), but the rest were purchased resale. And even tho resale prices are way lower then the retail was, i still am lucky to get 20-30% of what i paid. Unless its a special Knot or Cabat. It makes me more careful now with what i add, to be sure a style, color, or size will work for me….but those of us who love BV are here for the quality, artistry, and deliciousness of Bottega Veneta. I stray occasionally, and love a few other brands too, but i am always drawn back into BV-Land. Frankly, i don’t understand the folks who think the bags are plain and uninteresting. The quality of the leather, the hardware, and the incredible quality of how they are constructed is breathtaking. To me, these bags are priceless. The ones I’ve let go, i really struggled with selling. I find them all beautiful lol, and imo none are out of style. Style is what you make it. I buy what i like and carry what i like. And i really have not met a TM BV bag i did not like!

At the end of the day tho, most bags are like cars. Drive them off the lot and the value goes down. And the value declines with each passing year, as you put more wear and miles on the car, and as newer, flashier, more updated models are released. I do think b/c of this, its important to be in touch with what works for you, and if you’ve carried and enjoyed a bag for a long time, you’ve gotten your moneys worth. Investing in bags for the long haul eliminates the stress of large potential financial losses. But, most of us are here on TPF b/c we like buying bags, and we keep buying bags, lolol. And so financial losses are inevitable. Bags are really not an investment. Last year i traded in my 5 year old car/85k miles, that i paid 32k for, and the dealer only gave me 11k for it. That was a huge hit. So for a 10k Cabat to sell for 2250 on TRR, isn’t really so bad when you think about it. Thats my 2 cents at least!
Totally agree! Great points! And funny you would mention the selling aspect and how hard it is to part with BV bags. I really try to keep a streamlined collection so I part with bags here and there if I add something new. I struggle so horribly to sell my BV bags. Even if I don’t use them. They’re just so beautiful. Works of art imo :love:

Totally agree! Great points! And funny you would mention the selling aspect and how hard it is to part with BV bags. I really try to keep a streamlined collection so I part with bags here and there if I add something new. I struggle so horribly to sell my BV bags. Even if I don’t use them. They’re just so beautiful. Works of art imo :love:
Thank you :smile:

OMG YES. SO SO hard to sell BV. I love that you get it :lol: The collector in me just loves having them and looking at them. They are all so beautiful. I had to mentally create an H bag fund in order to force myself to actually let go of some bags lol. Otherwise i would just keep them all:facepalm: