Why do u spend thousands on a bag?!

Hello, I'm new to the Forum, but find this topic interesting :smile: I started with Coach, then Gucci, then Louis Vuitton, the Chanel, then Hermes. My friends always ask me how I can justify spending four digits on my Hermes bags and all I can say is that the quality, design, color, everything is so beautiful and classy. Shopping is addicting and you are never satisfied until you get to the next level. That also develops into a bad shopping habit.

I hope to have the handbags I buy to be handed down to my daughters and granddaughters. I know that they could have them for a lifetime and pass them on & they will still hold up. Quality is something that has been lacking in many products that are produced today. Quality is what makes me do it.

I don't think it's that simple.

money and spending money is all relative. what $10 means in your pocket may be more like what $10k means in someone else's.

That is true and a stylish and original woman may well own some high end designer bags but I have noticed a lot seem to be copying what others have to the extent that certain bags, LV in particular, become widespread. I expect a lot of other top designers are frustrated that if someone only owns a few bags they are all so drearily predictable. Also it is scary what I read on an article about how ugly LV bags usually are that said in some part of Los Angeles nearly everyone, even men, carry one. It is so uniform and slavish and yet so materialistic and shallow when that happens.

Also I have seen quite a few videos of handbag collections on YouTube and soon you see things turning up, especially in the more ghetto fabulous examples, where certain bags appear as status staples for the unimaginative conformist.

Part of e reason for starting this is I'm wondering if there could be something wrong w me.. I still buy unknown labels but they have to be unique n resemble nothing I can find in here.. And yes it's more tiring than buying stuff from boutique.. :P

It is good to look for something more unusual that shows your individuality imo. I don't do that myself though, I just get what I like and as long as the quality is good. There is good quality at the lowest prices - just what looks well stitched, not fraying or cheap looking materials.

I personally wouldn't spend 'thousands' because I'd worry too much about damage/theft and not enjoy it.

But I know from experience that the more you pay the better they last (generally). I used to buy 4 or 5 $50 bags a year and they only lasted a few months each, Most of my bags now are in the $300 range (plus one $700 LV) and they are definitely better-made and will last longer than what I used to buy.

I'm not sure the difference between say a $500 bag and a $3000 bag is as great as the difference between a $50 bag and a $300 bag other than prestige/artistic value (and the really expensive ones can be delicate, such as exotic leathers).

Reactions: JenJBS
I am sure there is something psychologically significant about women who have to spend on status items and cannot accept that there may be more style and value available at a fraction of the price.

Depends. I think everyone would agree that there is a huge difference in quality of materials and workmanship between a $50 bag and a $500 bag. Now, between a $500 bag and a $5000 bag, the line might start getting a bit more blurry....(as tiggycat has echoed above)

Morisa said:
Depends. I think everyone would agree that there is a huge difference in quality of materials and workmanship between a $50 bag and a $500 bag. Now, between a $500 bag and a $5000 bag, the line might start getting a bit more blurry....

When I worked at a boutique..(no names mentioned here) we learned from a training that our leather came from the same place as Hermes' did, and that for the cost of a £1500 bag, it basically cost around £300-400 to make. Including wages for which the 'artisan' stitches the bag together.

Of course there is difference between quality control etc between a high street brand and a international 'luxury' brand, but you are pretty much mainly paying for the hike up cuz of the brand.

After seeing what the bags are worth and what discounts people get who work there get, the consumerism inside of me died a little. I think my last 'major' purchase might be it for a while now!

Of course there is difference between quality control etc between a high street brand and a international 'luxury' brand, but you are pretty much mainly paying for the hike up cuz of the brand.

I fully agree. At some point, you are just paying for the "name" (and the experience/customer service, etc. that comes with it). I would hope that the CS you got from Hermes was far superior than the one you got from, say, michael kors.

Morisa said:
I fully agree. At some point, you are just paying for the "name" (and the experience/customer service, etc. that comes with it). I would hope that the CS you got from Hermes was far superior than the one you got from, say, michael kors.

Haha having been in the Hermes thread I might have some doubt as to whether that is true!! MK SAs might even be more friendly! Lol

Haha having been in the Hermes thread I might have some doubt as to whether that is true!! MK SAs might even be more friendly! Lol

This is true. I am astounded at how difficult it is to buy a birkin and how one has to "develop a relationship" with a SA.

Maybe it's that the $1000-$10,000 range bags have the best service, but $10k+ service isn't so hot because at that price, the supply is so limited and the demand is so great that the SAs just don't have to worry about making the sale? (This is all speculation.)