Why do some women keep ratty underwear

Lol, what have we come to when saving $15 is greed...

People do realize that stained is different than dirty and unhygienic, right? It's a dyeing of the fibers not the current presence of organic matter, so to speak.

Lol, what have we come to when saving $15 is greed...

People do realize that stained is different than dirty and unhygienic, right? It's a dyeing of the fibers not the current presence of organic matter, so to speak.

obviously it is not the same as dirty but still it comes across as unhygienic because of how the underwear got stained.

I don't really care about other people's underwear one way or another but if you spend thousands on a designer bag but can't get yourself new underwear, saving is not your issue, surely? Wasn't this part of the discussion that they have very nice and fancy outer clothes but ratty underwear?

A very well dressed lady I know keeps her old undies to wear on long haul flights. She brings the good stuff in her purse to changes into before the flight lands then dumps the old stuff in the garbage.

I really don't know what other women wear or do with their undergarments. I just know my mom taught me to keep them clean, correctly sized and supportive. And she liked to match

Perhaps the ratty, old underwear are for during their time of the month, so that the pretty/nice underwear doesn't have the possibility of getting ruined by stains?
I totally agree.

Word of warning though ladies- I ended up in ER after a riding fall wearing less than lovely 'period pants'. Afterwards I threw all of them out and only wear nice matching underwear at all times. I ended back in hospital again a few years later after breaking my leg (another riding accident). They had to cut my breeches off, but at least my underwear was nice :smile:

I totally agree.

Word of warning though ladies- I ended up in ER after a riding fall wearing less than lovely 'period pants'. Afterwards I threw all of them out and only wear nice matching underwear at all times. I ended back in hospital again a few years later after breaking my leg (another riding accident). They had to cut my breeches off, but at least my underwear was nice :smile:

LOL!

I actually routinely toss and buy new underwear; when VS has their semi-annual sales I stock up on new things and throw old things out.

My mother used to say make sure you are wearing clean & beautiful panties & bra
because you never know... LOL

I would be mortified in anyone was in my lingerie draw & everything wasn't
pristine... I keep lavender sachets in my drawer & all bras & panties are folded
neatly..

With so many options for beautiful lingerie & cotton panties, can't imagine why
anyone would want to have panties/bra that are in that condition.

Lingerie says so much about being feminine....& what it does for the men in our lives
& women, too...

My one friend always wears all her panties inside out because she said this way the seam where the cotton crotch on them is attached to the panties does not bother her skin. I find this so strange. She has been doing this for years. And she spends 30-40 dollars for each pair of underwear too. I know that there is nice panties made that does not have seams and will not bother your skin. It always makes me laugh to see her post pictures of her dressed up online and then I think but her underwear is on inside out. I would not find the outside material of panties being more comfortable against your skin then the inside material and the way they were sewn to be worn. I know she is not dressing to impress her husband.....

Clean and nice underwear can be bought for $3.00 at stores such as Marshalls and TJMaxx. My one friend is a nurse and said even though it is mean the nurses and doctors do make fun of the clothing people wear when they come to the hospital. She said her mother was right in saying always wear clean underwear.

Last edited:
Bwahaha! My husband is a bit of a lingerie junkie, so I always have many lovely underthings....but if he didn't buy them, I would easily fall into this category. :shrugs: There are just other items I would rather spend my money on. Occasionally, I will see something or a set that catches my eye or I really NEED a new bra...but by in large I just will not spend money on underthings.