Why do people take so long to pay

I think it's rude to hit the BIN on a seller's auction then walk away from the computer. If you don't have the money, don't buy. Or work out something with the seller first. Just my 2 cents.

I'm with you, I think it's just plain rude to keep the seller waiting like that. I am definitely going to do the IP option next time

There has been a few times I have bin'd things and take a day or two to pay, this is my reasoning, if I pay from my bank account it takes 3-5 days for the Payment to go through, if I pay with my visa it goes instantly and sometimes I need to transfer $ on to it before using it, ie Xmas or sale season lol. I'm actually Doing the seller a favor making them wait one day for my visa to update rather then making them wait 5 for an e-check to clear although whenever I've had to do that I always let the seller know

I pay right away. This past Sunday I did a best offer on an LV. Seller counter offered. I accepted and paid on the spot. Had my bag by Weds.
When I sell I use BIN with instant payment required. I would rather put the item up and let them bid, but I had too many npb and one bidder I had to keep reminding to pay. She won, no payment, no contact. So I contact her. She asks for time, says she'll pay on a certain day. She doesn't. I have to contact her again. She finally pays. In the meantime with all the waiting seller's remorse sets in. I had decided to not re-list and keep the item if she didn't pay.
This past week I listed some items. Most sold right away. Two didn't, so I tried best offer which I had never used. I didn't realize, no instant payment with best offer. First person who's offered I accepted asked after it sold to her if she could pay later on a certain day. I said yes, even though I thought here we go again. She did pay the day she said she would.
As a seller I ship as soon as I can after payment. Same day or next day. My best offer auctions both paid yesterday. I was sick today so I asked my Mom to take pkgs to po for me.

Agreed. I'm just learning the ropes on Ebay and its hard for me to understand why some people take so long to pay. Don't they want the item??? 4 days I guess is a reasonable amount of time but it's still very frustrating!!!!

I'm also one who pays right away when buying, unless I am interested in buying more items that a person has listed (but in that case, I will contact them ahead of time to find out if they combine shipping and what time period they allow for this--I would not just assume as some buyers do that all sellers allow this). I figure I bought it, I need to pay for it. You can't go into a grocery store and leave things in your cart for 4 to 8 days and find them all perfectly fresh and waiting for you, so why should you do it on ebay? I know it's kind of an absurd comparison, but I think it gets a point across.

It seems like there are 3 types of buyer... one is pays right away , the other
who takes their sweet time & the one who doesn't pay period no matter
how many times they are asked

They do have 4 days but just a little consideration in the form of an e-mail
makes such a difference to the seller involved..

And then they wonder why their package didn't arrive instantly!!

Buyers not paying or not paying in a timely manner is becoming more prevalent

So sellers should change their settings to require immediate payment but
again no guarantees..

This:tup:. Your items may sit a little longer but at least you don't have to wait and wonder when a buyer is going to pay.

I just got a negative feedback from a buyer like this.

Purchased on 12/29, the unpaid assistant opened an unpaid case on 1/2 and they finally paid on 1/5.

I would have gladly turned the unpaid assistant off had they contacted me.

Some people are just meanie weenies.

:cry:

I've had a string of non-paying bidders who eventually paid up on the last day before I closed the case to get my final value fee back. One of them actually sent me a message saying, I'm sorry I haven't paid yet but I've been really busy so I'll pay either today or tomorrow. If she had the time to type the message then why didn't she have time to send the payment?! When I win an auction I always pay immediately. There's no reason not to.

So, I was searching through her FB. She has 135 positives since Aug 12. She bought A LOT of bags, and jewelry, all very high end, Balenciaga, Hermes, and Chanel, and mine was/is LV. I am trying to figure this out. All of her FB's say, super fast pay, etc. Hmmmmm

Oh, and I left her a message today, no response. rrrrr

Last edited:
Lulugrl said:
So, I was searching through her FB. She has 135 positives since Aug 12. She bought A LOT of bags, and jewelry, all very high end, Balenciaga, Hermes, and Chanel, and mine was/is LV. I am trying to figure this out. All of her FB's say, super fast pay, etc. Hmmmmm

Oh, and I left her a message today, no response. rrrrr

She spent all her money!

So.........got an email from buyer. She said "I am sorry for the delay in payment. I have been trying to pay all day but eBay or PP is blocking me. I'll call them in the a.m. Really sorry"

So, do you think she is being blocked because she had bought so many items recently?? Crud-o!

I'm generally pretty OK with giving extra time to the buyer to pay, esp. if I'm not in a rush to sell. As long as they just send me a msg, prior o even after the auction close it does not matter. I hate no communication at all from the buyer, when they just disappear. Happened to me twice in just few weeks - buyer makes a pretty good offer on BIN/OBO listings, I accepted it and then they just don't pay, answer your msg.