Why do I look at ended auctions? Emerald with silver?

The '03 emerald is very cool, it's one of the best colors Balenciaga has EVER produced in my opinion, it is very "raw" - it reminds me of sea algae, soo perfect... here are a few photos from my emerald classique.

Wait...so was that "fake" that I had a while back real??! Does anyone remember that? Because if it is, you guys have absolutely no idea how bummed out I am right now...!:cursing:

Attachments

• Img_5631.jpg
    Img_5631.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 104
jdy, I don't know... I'm kind of flummoxed now too - my understanding was that there was no emerald in 04, and that the darker green that appeared to be from the C season was an Italian fake of the "seafoam" color - darker than seafoam but otherwise near-perfect. I don't know. Head spinning.

First, I would like to publicly apologize for any misinformation myself or anyone else had provided way back when. The knowledge that I have about Balenciaga today far exceeds the knowledge I had when I first started collecting. Seeing, feeling, and handling so many bags gives you a "second nature" instinct that is hard to achieve without the experience. With that said, this is why I rarely post my opinions publicly regarding colors or authenticity anymore.
Jdy, I remember this whole green debate. I was informed originally that there was absolutely positively no S/S '04 green by a reliable outlet, and based my information on that. Now that I have way more experience, I can make better educated guesses, and not just base my decision on whether or not I have received information on if a color existed. This is my take: I am 99% certain that some of those "emeralds" that popped up WERE fake (the one on Craigslist back then for example), they did not have the correct hardware, or the correct detailing on the tag. However, since I believe now that this color existed there are those that were obviously fine (that at the time all of us ruled out because NO one had heard of this color), nor did any of us have the knowledge needed to determine whether an undiscovered color existed or not.
I will try to find out what color green this is, because obviously one did exist in the S/S '04 era, but it is NOT the emerald for sure.
Again, I want to apologize from the bottom of my heart for any confusion that came up with this whole issue. Please ALWAYS keep in mind that we are all just lovers of Balenciaga, who try to find out the history, and adore these bags just like everyone here -- therefore, mistakes do happen, and opinions are just that, opinions. "You live, and you learn" is the perfect phrase right now. : sigh :

by the way, I am going to be out all day. I have a midterm to take, wish me luck!

:huge hugs to everyone:

LP I wish I knew too! It was my very first Balenciaga so I really didn't have the experience back then as I do now of leathers, craftsmanship, etc. I still have my pictures, but its still hard to tell. Man, what a find that would have been!

mimz no worries (and GL on the midterm!)! Just glad to have been able to have had one pass through my hands. My only concern is the poor seller who sold it to me and the seller who sold it to her and all that drama they had to endure! It would be awesome if we could get that bag back for examination but unfortunately, I think the seller may have gotten rid of the bag by now cause everyone assured her that it was fake :shrugs: :Push:

^ yeah, I really wish I could turn back time, because what we all know NOW far exceeds our knowledge back then...... : sigh :

thanks for the well wishes, and again, I am so so so sooo sorry if this caused anyone any heartache. I know it wasn't intentional from ANY of us!

I'll be back!

Unless it's the lighting, it doesn't look like the same shade of green in the auction and obviously it's not seafoam....so I'm surprised at 3 greens in s/s 04. I still think you made the right decision in playing it safe since you'd be wondering all this time (and still are) if it were real or not and probably wouldn't have wanted to carry it just in case. There'll be another one if you're still interested in that color.

Jdy - was there any other 'evidence' other than the color being confusing on that bag? From the photo you posted, it looks absolutely authentic. :sad: It did have very dark handles, though...which I personally do not like and won't purchase anymore, regardless of the rarity of the bag.

wow!

this is why I love balenciga... it's like finding a shipwreck sometimes. we don't know the entire history so it's all murky and weird and scary sometimes, but then once in awhile... BAM! gold!

fiatflux- No, there wasn't really anything else wrong with it. I still have a few photos on my computer. It looked perfect except that the metal tag had a C and it couldn't have been a Seafoam. It also couldn't have been Emerald- short strap, wrong season. The handles were dark and the bag itself was old, but not too worn. If I remember correctly, the corners weren't bad at all either. For the price I paid for it however, I think it was pretty worth it! I did go back and look at my photos once...after I had my 04 Orange to compare and yea it didn't seem like anything was really wrong, but it never had any of the tags, extra tassels, or anything like that so how could you ever know. :shrugs: Oh well, you live and learn!

mimz no worries (and GL on the midterm!)! Just glad to have been able to have had one pass through my hands. My only concern is the poor seller who sold it to me and the seller who sold it to her and all that drama they had to endure! It would be awesome if we could get that bag back for examination but unfortunately, I think the seller may have gotten rid of the bag by now cause everyone assured her that it was fake :shrugs: :Push:

Jdy, it might not hurt to ask the seller if she still has it or what happened to it. That would be incredible if you could get that bag back... :idea: