Why can't I use a handbag/purse?

My DH carries a "man bag" messenger most of the time. He's one of those emergency preparedness geeks, so he carries a pocketknife, small first aid kit, flashlight, epi pen, caribiner, wet wipes, notepad and pen, etc. at all times. I have to admit it's really handy to have around!

4everglamm, I love the messenger bag in your pic. What kind is it?

I think if there are people who will say rude things to you about carring a purse, then they are probly just the kind of people who like to pick on people in general. I dont see why it should bother anyone if you want to carry a bag.

Why is it that guys can't carry around purses? The other day, I found a great macy's coupon for a purse that I really liked. It wasn't girly, but it wasn't ugly either. So I bought it. I personally don't see a problem using a handbag, but all of my friends have started making fun of me and my "murse". I found it very convenient, besides worrying about it when have to put it down. But I stopped using it about five days after buying it because I was tired of the ridicule.

If it makes you feel any better at least guy clothes dress up and casual are a lot more comfortable than ours.

depending how you wear it, I think wearing a bag for a male can look very sophisticated. I knew a guy who would walk around with a messenger bag. I didn't know him personally, but with the bag he always seemed like he was important. I always wondered what was in it, laptop?

btw, what would you put in it? just curious?

I don't think there is anything wrong with it. If you are uncomfortable and still want to carry one, what about a back pack? LV makes some gorgeous ones!

The right bag is cool, whether worn by a man or a woman. I'm in the south of France right now and see lots of men carrying Goyards and other cross-body bags. Even in the west of Ireland where I live some men carry bags for convenience, college, etc. You can't help it if your friends are still in the Dark Ages. Assert yourself and wear whatever you want with pride!

Carrying large clutches for men are among the latest trend right now on runways and even in Paris. Men are no longer confined to messenger bags all the time. Those people who ridicule you have nothing better to do.:yes: Sorry to hear that, jaytuk.:flowers:

My DH carries a "man bag" messenger most of the time. He's one of those emergency preparedness geeks, so he carries a pocketknife, small first aid kit, flashlight, epi pen, caribiner, wet wipes, notepad and pen, etc. at all times. I have to admit it's really handy to have around!

4everglamm, I love the messenger bag in your pic. What kind is it?

It's a LV Utah.

My DH carries his messenger everywhere. He bought it last winter in Italy, it's a Bric, very good Italian brand, very durable and famous for suitcases and travel gear. I think it does not look at all like a woman's purse and personally I would not carry it because it is too masculine.

My DH even accepted to pose for a photo (very nice of him, don't mind his T-shirt)
wink.gif
I really appreciate the fact that he carries his stuff around in his own bag and doesn't ask me to put it into mine. That's showing some consideration....

The only thing I can say about people making silly comments about men carrying bags, is that they are incredebly narrow-minded.

Attachments

• borsa_hd.jpg
    borsa_hd.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 45
  • hd2.jpg
    hd2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Honestly hubby needs a bag, but he doesn't admit it, he always carries too much stuff (2 dif wallets, cell, 2 sets of keys, glasses, cigarettes/cigars in their special case, cigar cutter, lighter etc) and he makes me carry most. I don't like carrying a bag unless it's absolutely necessary.

I only carry keys and money that usually fit my pockets... Kinda unfair if you ask me...

Carrying large clutches for men are among the latest trend right now on runways and even in Paris. Men are no longer confined to messenger bags all the time. Those people who ridicule you have nothing better to do.:yes: Sorry to hear that, jaytuk.:flowers:

it SO is, i have a few cluthes myself. made for women yes, but super oversized, so they don't look small on my frame.

as for the OP, i think you should wear whatever you like. But i do agree that it has something to do with location.

For example, I paint my nails for no other reason than the fact that i like my nails a color other than "nude". people in LA and NY always compliment in my nails, and ask "what color is that? where can i get it?", but people in Dallas gave me the death stare. (I was only there for 48 hours, so it didn't bother me that much)

i think some people/places are just uncomfortable with anything out of the norm, which includes men with bags. Which while everyone says men should wear messenger/cross body bags, that's only for the utilitarian men. Cross body bags are great, but are the devil when it comes to men's fashion. I can honestly not think of the last time i saw a cross body bag on the runway.

If it makes you feel any better at least guy clothes dress up and casual are a lot more comfortable than ours.

I have to admit that one of the reasons why I hate being a woman is the clothes that I "have" to wear as a formal thing. It always has to be a dress or skirt or else I may be considered a lesbian or butch (if not corporate-looking), which I'm not. I just would love to wear nice formal pants w/ a blouse, similar to a guy, but fit for the curves of a woman's body. Sure sure, women have lots more variety in clothes, but guys also have the ease of mind of having just a change of color of the dress shirt, a different pair of cuffs, a different bow or tie, etc. to change it up.

Oh, and every woman has got to wear either heels or flats, but ever see anything in the 1-2 inch range that's not a pump or thin back sole shoe? When I do, it's like finding a needle in a haystack. Grrrr...

I use a bag every day. I have a foley and corinna black city tote with a long strap I wear as a messenger... or a brief case-y L.A.M.B. brown leather bag...

I think it has to do with what you do for a living, where you live, what you wear and how confidant you are.

All of the above make using a bag easy for me, and living in a city, its basicly a needed daily item.

There are some pigs in this world who will not see the fact that bags are supposed to make it convenient for you to carry bulky items. If someone did ask, why are you carrying a purse? Smuggly say, "because I can afford it!" That should shut them up.