Why blonde?

Me and some friends' theory was that one tends to be attracted to what's different from the norm. i.e. many europeans tend to fall for exotic, tanned brunettes since they have blondes around all the time, and viceversa. Of course, this is just our very own theory!

I have naturally blonde hair and I love it.Unfortunately it won't be blonde forever since I got it from my dad and his hair turned a light brown in his 30s.

Me and some friends' theory was that one tends to be attracted to what's different from the norm. i.e. many europeans tend to fall for exotic, tanned brunettes since they have blondes around all the time, and viceversa. Of course, this is just our very own theory!
^ I think it's true! Opposites attract!

My family is all mixed-- everyone has married someone VERY different than they look!

I'm a natural blonde, and I have aqua eyes-- my eyes kind of shift between green and blue. I do know that I'm always complimented on my hair, even by women in my office. I wear it pulled back a lot-- my hair is long; it goes past my bra strap on my back by about 4"-- and I do notice that when I wear it down is when I get the most compliments and attention. I have noticed that most of the guys Ive been with have been predispositioned to blondes-- all their exes were blonde. I think the genetics explanation posted by agreenst makes the most sense. Sometimes I wish I was a brunette. I've been tempted to dye my hair. That way people will take me more seriously....

It's so bizarre! I went on a class trip to Beijing in high school and there were a couple girls in my group who had platinum blonde hair. Locals would literally follow our group around and ask them if they could have pictures taken with them.

LOL! I'm a redhead, and the same thing happened to me in China. It was really funny. I couldn't figure out why I was being followed at first. I did see some blondes there - obviously fake - lol! But not one other redhead.

I have very dark brown hair.

My cousin - who looks a lot like Aishwarya Rai - decided to color hers blonde and she looked odd and unnatural. (Imagine Aishwarya with bottle blonde hair....) There are some colors that Asians simply canNOT handle.

I guess that answers the question, sometimes people like things that are different you know?

if you are accustomed to the same dark hair dark eyes, someone with lighter hair and eyes might intrique you.

I def agree with the blond barbie idea... Also i think its because natural (real/ no bottle) bright (like the color off all the celebs) blond is about as rare as red hair, so everyone cant have it and therefore wants it.
I dyed my hair blond because i have extremly fair skin, and with my hair being even a light brown i look like a goth.

I am a natural blonde but I dye my hair dark brown. I find that since going dark I am taken MUCH more seriously in the business world.

I also find that I personally feel way more mysterious, seductive and sexy with dark hair!! Nothing against blondes though!!

Wow, the blonde... The hair that ate Hollywood! I've been obsessed with it! Sounds stupid, but I was só insecure, and somehow I thought being blonde would take care of that. Because guys around here love blondes, and I was obsessed with Barbies, the movie Legally Blonde, teenage stars like the Olsen twins, and most of the popular girls were blonde.
Well, you know what, somehow, it worked, with my self-esteem, and popularity. (Dying my hair went together with a lot of psychology sessions, but I really think the hair on itself also helped getting higher self-esteem, weird huh?)

I love being a brunette and I love being a blonde! I think I'm going to stick with blonde now though, because I get lots of attention and I feel like I'm more outgoing, and because I'm more outgoing people like me better.
However I do feel like I'm not being taken seriously by people around me. They immediately assume that because I'm blonde, I'm also ditzy and/or dumb.

I read an article about this a while ago..

Apparently 11,000 years ago all Europeans had brown hair and brown eyes. A genetic mutation caused some women to be born with blonde hair. There was a large population imbalance between men and women, with more competition on the women's side to find one of the few men. Blondes were seen as more desirable and therefore more men mated with blondes, hence passing down the blonde genes and eventually spreading all throughout Europe.
Blue eyes are thought to be a genetic mutation from inbreeding.

I guess guys are wired to like blondes :shrugs:

I think I read this, too. I also read somewhere that natural blondes are on the decline and are in danger of being extinct. :shrugs:BTW~that's not sarcasm!!

I got a lot of attention when I dyed my hair blonde for a few years, and I'm Asian! Looking back, I realize that it wasn't the most flattering shade for my colouring and I've gone back to browns and right now my hair is super super dark. I think I just got a lot of attention because the blonde hair made me feel more outgoing and maybe because it was brighter, it was easier to see me. When I have darker hair, I feel more subdued. Plus I'm no longer single. Ha ha.

I have heard that blonde is associated with youthfulness to men, and youthfulness also equates to higher fertility. Through an evolutionary perspective, men want to choose a mate with high fertility to pass on their own genes. Therefore, blondes would be desirable for men.

I was blonde (strawberry blonde) as a baby and then it darkened to an ashy brown as I got older, but I stayed with very fair skin and hazel eyes.

Now, and for the past 15 years or so, I've highlighted my hair blonde to instinctively hark back to childhood (perhaps) and/or to cover my grey hairs. It is very natural on me since this was a childhood haircolor plus I am fair skinned, ruddy, with light eyebrows that need tinting. I feel more confident as a blonde than an ashy brunette. Or perhaps that is more of function of TIME than my hair color. Who knows.

For me, being blonde attracts a lot more men than being brunette.