Why are ferragamo bags so underrated?

Rannie, your sofia is truly stunning! Love it. That is in no way an "old ladies bag" . Is this the small or mini size? This looks fresh, cute but smart. This style was on my radar but I wasn't sure how the handle would hang as I prefer to wear on the shoulder or crossbody most of the time and the boutiques did not have any pretty colours when I was looking. Think they were still in winter mode. I will rethink the Abbey v Sofia, if thre Abbey doesn't disappear beforehand! Thanks for this.
Thanks Silkpearl :smile:
Actually this is the medium size Sofia. I think it's the perfect size since it can hold all the typical things (long wallet, make-up pouch, coin pouch, cell phone, sunglasses, camera) with some room left over. And it's not that big on me even though I am quite petite (5'3" and <50kg). I carry it by the handle in more formal situations and wear it crossbody for a more casual look. I think the medium size is very versatile. It can be sophisticated or playful depending on how it's worn. IMO the handle doesn't look awkward when it's worn crossbody.

Salvatore Ferragamo started making shoes when he was 6 years old. Shoes have always been the brand's passion. For many years the bags were quite conservative, and thought of by many as "old lady" bags. It has only been in the past 10 years that the bags have been styled to appeal to the under 65 demographic in the US. I'm an old lady (:graucho:) so I've always liked the conservatives styles. Ferragamo does some of the very best alligator bags...right up there with BV and Hermes.
Love the Bags!! Good information, thanks!

I have seen very few Ferragamo bags IRL (no Saks, Neimans, only a Nordstrom that doesn't carry them), but I just bought my first one! A Noah satchel, pre-loved from BBOS. It arrives tomorrow! The few I have seen are exquisite. Anyone else have this bag?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 9.25.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-08 at 9.25.39 PM.png
    52 KB · Views: 1,908
They have little 'trend'y-wow' factor. They do get on board with the trend of the moment by changing up the silhouette ... like including a tote with wings in the lineup ... but it's not a forward kind of thing. My mother could wear that one as well as me. The Sofia is so beautifully designed that it has endured a long time now and has come to look, if not youthful, then at least young and 'established.' The new bag, the Fiamma I think, is a bold statement for Ferragamo. Very Liuxe.. Will it catch on?

I have 2 Ferragamos and will keep adding to the group. The quality brings tears to my eyes ... in the best way.
Looking at the thread on celebs and their Ferragamos and the top A list actresses carrying them, I am more than a little surprised this brand is still relatively under the radar. I did note a London boutique SA suggesting that the prices of their bags have being going up exponentially in the last couple of years though - so business must be good but maybe discreetly so!!

I purchased my first Ferragamo bag recently. A small verve tote in black but I'm not sure if I like it so haven't used it. I kept on viewing it online until I caved in and bought it. Does anyone else have this bag?

I recently bought my first ferragamo shoulder bag with my tax returns and I think the bag is so stunning and classy. Heres a pic:

http://m.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/salvatore-ferragamo-fanya-satchel?ID=587298

I purchased it in the black color. It's super professional looking and seems to be great quality.

So why is it that these bags are so understated? I feel as if the spotlight is on their shoes and not their bags.
I agree. I think they are so classic. I also love the fact that they are not logo-driven--simple, understated--and elegant.

I purchased my first Ferragamo bag recently. A small verve tote in black but I'm not sure if I like it so haven't used it. I kept on viewing it online until I caved in and bought it. Does anyone else have this bag?

I have this bag! When I first bought it, I too wasn't sure about it but it is so well made and so comfortable that honestly it has become my go-to bag and I am considering another one.

I have tons of SF shoes but the verve was my first SF bag (although not my last--got a hobo that I loooove too)!

Once I started wearing it most of my other bags started getting dusty!

Enjoy!

Thanks Oryx you have been helpful in your thoughts on this bag. Maybe it's just too chic for me or perhaps I can't bear to use something that cost that much. It was my first Ferragamo bag, in fact my first high end bag. But I agree with your opinion on the quality as it really is exceptional.

Thanks Oryx you have been helpful in your thoughts on this bag. Maybe it's just too chic for me or perhaps I can't bear to use something that cost that much. It was my first Ferragamo bag, in fact my first high end bag. But I agree with your opinion on the quality as it really is exceptional.

My hesitation was more about whether it would be functional for me. I have been buying designer bags for almost 25 years so I have long lost any nervousness I may ever have had. Please realize that no bag is more valuable than you. No matter what we pay for a bag, it is there as an accessory for YOU and to highlight you. Please go out and enjoy it. No bag fulfills its destiny by gathering dust; it is meant to make you smile! Get that bag to work Miss Frosty!

HTH

I was selling my Verve because I didn't think I would use it. I was offered £450 for it and decided that I would keep it rather than give it away. I plan on using it next week as I have just received a new Fendi and I will post some mod shots because there aren't any that I can find.

I'm thinking of buy the small Ginny bag. I never purchased a Ferragamo bag before, how is their quality and does it wear fast?

Ferragamo bags' quality is exceptional. I own a couple of Chanel's and a lot of Louis Vuitton. I used to prefer those brands because of resale value. I sell my bags if I don't use them to exchange with new bags. Recently, I can't resist buying more and more of Ferragamo bags cause of quality. I recently wanted to buy a Chanel seasonal bag but ended up with two Ferragamo bags. =) You don't need to worry about their quality. If you want the bags to last longer, try saffiano or pebbled leather since they show less scratches than soft smooth leather.

Reactions: celine666666