whose daddy's or mommy's princess?

I think it is great that your parents want to buy you these things and I understand wanting them and asking (I know I did when I was being supported by my parents) but I think the turn off here was the phrasing. I really don't think people are against a parent wanting to buy nice gifts for their child but I'll admit, I was a bit turned off by the original post b/c it sounded well... bratty and spoiled. I don't think bragging about begging for designer goods is really something to be proud of.

I know I am not phrasing this well and I apologize if I offend anyone by this post. I just think there are SO many great things about our parents and I don't really think that whether or not they are buying their children designer bags should come in to play. I know this is tPF and it is about purses but I can understand why you're recieveing some of the comments you are.

I guess i am privileged ... but who said that i dont appreciate or think of others? I'm in college and my parents pay my tuition fees and as i started this thread i said how i get luxury bags as gift from my lovely mom... so that makes me spoilt and think the world is all revolved around me and i dont know the value of money?
I rent a truck and goto the red cross and i dont donate directly to them..i goto them and get numbers of a certain number of families who are not well off...and then my contribution starts. I donate everything from eyeglass frames, food coupons, clothing, crutches, furniture ..anything you can think of. I know the size of each individual from each family..so i would know which clothes that would suit them and i go around my family ask for stuff they dont need or never used and same with friends.
Every end of the month I organize with the help of my older sister to rent a bus and invite people to go visit prisons, the elder home, and abandoned kids in shelters.
I know what goes around in the world..I appreciate what God has blessed with me and I know that I should have a role in the society.

No one is saying you aren't a good person and frankly, you don't have to justify yourself. Again, I think it is the phrasing in this post that is getting you in trouble.

I think that its important for parents to buy their children necessities NOT luxuries. If its a special birthday like 18 or 21 or something then yes thats acceptable. But I don't see how parents "rewarding" their children for behaving in school is acceptable.

I would say that my family is very well off however my parents never bought me luxury items. If it was something like clothes/food/education, they will pay. They buy nice things but not luxury. I personally saved up from my many jobs and entrepreneur experiences to buy things that I want.

Parents who buy their kids things everything do it because it makes them happy to see their kids happy. I understand this. However I believe there should be a limit to these things as many kids will begin to accept this as the norm and standard.

Nice to see there are still other NORMAL families out there. My parents are very well off as well but they taught me to appreciate things and to work hard in every respect- school, work etc. Getting things easy in life does not pay off in the long run. I have many spoiled childhood friends that never amounted to anything whereas I'm doing quite well for myself now.

my mom bought me 3 designer bags..a coach a burberry and the neverfull ... all of them required some hugs and kisses and a whole lot of begging...:yes:

She's not against spending that much..but she always tells me 'when u work buy for urself watever u want' or 'marry a rich guy' .... but those three times she gave in cuz i got good grades in skool :graucho:

Now,i'm planning my strategy for the damier azur speedy 30 :heart: ( dont think am evil.. am 21 in college and i dont work)

I love her so much... and i love how her eyes light up when i show her a bag
(cuz she gives me the money and i go by myself)

So i dedicate this thread to our wonderful parents ! :heart::heart:

I don't see as this is something to be bragging about... begging your parents for a luxury bag for no particular reason would probably not sit right with most people here....

If your goal was suppose to dedicate to your parents - you had it all wrong - when people read this - it is telling people that "I get whatever I want from my parents as long as I pester them long enough"

Wow, that easy huh?
For me it's the other way around. In order for my mom not to nag forevermore about the expensive bags I buy (in which I have lied about the prices too), I have to shut her up by buying her a bag too!

Hmmm

Hot topic, I know and grew up with many people who's parents gave them everything.
In the long run I don't think it *really* benefited them.
I think my parents do better than most .. and I grew up this way, however I had to buy my own things and earn my own way (anything aside from the basics.. sure sometimes there were perks) I thank them for this truly! it gave me the drive and ambition to succeed and obtain what I want.. I can honestly say what I own I have worked for.

Don't get me wrong.. as I get older there are *gifts* many more than in my youth.. but it's different at this stage in the game... I am still trying to digest the intent of your post.. I'm new here and don't know or have a feel for most posters yet.
:shame:

My parents don't buy me luxury items whenever I ask for them...they usually give those to me as gifts for special occasions or as a reward for some milestone in our lives.

They know I'm obsessed with bags, so whenever my birthday or Christmas comes up, they always know what to get for me.

my mom bought me 3 designer bags..a coach a burberry and the neverfull ... all of them required some hugs and kisses and a whole lot of begging...:yes:

She's not against spending that much..but she always tells me 'when u work buy for urself watever u want' or 'marry a rich guy' .... but those three times she gave in cuz i got good grades in skool :graucho:

Now,i'm planning my strategy for the damier azur speedy 30 :heart: ( dont think am evil.. am 21 in college and i dont work)

I love her so much... and i love how her eyes light up when i show her a bag
(cuz she gives me the money and i go by myself)

So i dedicate this thread to our wonderful parents ! :heart:

I'm also 21, don't work, and am in college.

I go to college on a scholarship for good grades. My reward for getting good grades in high school was scholarship money to go to college, not designer bags.

I am blessed and lucky enough to have parents who pay for my living expenses so that I don't have to work. They want me to focus on my education as much as I can. They've never told their daughter to "marry a rich guy", because with the education they're supporting me in getting, I won't need to rely on anyone else for my well-being.

They've never bought me any designer bags or luxuries and I would never ask them to either. With the support, love, and ethics they've instilled in me I couldn't possibly ask for anything more. :heart::smile:

BacardiGirl - I loved your posts! My mom is a cancer survivor, and just recently she went for her annual check-up and something came back "abnormal". :sad: I'm keeping your dad and my mom in my prayers. :heart:

I think it was the title of the thread that may have put people off(princess.)

My parents are fairly well off, but never would have bought me super luxury items. They fed me, clothed me and sent me to good schools and for this I am fortunate. I began babysitting at age 13 to buy the things I wanted . I really never would have asked for something nicer except for my birthday or Christmas. My reward for good grades was not getting in trouble-I was expected to get them. One semester in college when my grades fell it was made very clear that I would no longer get their help if they did not improve.
I am in my 30s and when I was growing up it was considered sort of tacky and flashy to buy expensive things for your child. People who were well off sent their kids to better schools, payed for things like music and sports lessons and took them on more exotic vacations. Experiences were more important than things. It still freaks me out to see high schoolers wearing diamond jewelry or Chanel sunglasses or carrying expensive bags.

Aurelia and BacardiGirl-I hope your mothers are OK. My mom went though years of having cancer. She is in full remission now only after having 2 cutting edge stem cell transplants.

Aurelia and BacardiGirl-I hope your mothers are OK. My mom went though years of having cancer. She is in full remission now only after having 2 cutting edge stem cell transplants.

Thank you for the well wishies cake girl. :smile: :heart: I think I messed up and didn't word my sentence right though. BacardiGirl's father has heart disease and is about to go through some major surgery. I just meant that both our parents are stuggling with illness.

That's wonderful about your mom being in full remission! Yay! :yahoo: