Who's ready for the 12 DOD?

Unfortunately, this exact thing happened to me during the post-Christmas sales in late December 2017 and early January of this year (2018). It was the Dooney.com website (I've never had a problem with ILoveDooney).

Dooney handled it really badly. This should be basic: the website should not allow people to check out and pay if all of the stock of an item has already been spoken for through other orders, whether or not those other orders have been fully processed and shipped out. Plenty of other websites automatically show the customer an "Out of Stock" notice when the customer attempts to purchase and pay for an out of stock item. Their computers have no trouble keeping up with what amount of stock has already been ordered and what, if any, is available. I can't explain why Dooney's site cannot keep up enough to offer us the same Out of Stock sign instead of allowing us to purchase an item that may not exist.

It took me such effort and time--5 or 6 LONG phone calls over the course of January into February--to get everything put to right. By that I don't mean I got the item in question (that bag materialized for a few hours around two months later on the site, only to disappear again for the rest of the year). Rather, my hard effort resulted in what I suppose is the best Dooney could muster: a refund, at LONG last, of the money on my debit card (I'll never use debit card with them again) and a 20% discount code for any bag on their site.

I didn't order from them for most of 2018 because of that.

Eventually I started ordering direct from them again because I just like their bags so much and the main Dooney site has some exclusive designs that don't get sold anywhere else, even I Love Dooney.

Here's hoping your situation doesn't turn out like mine.

Thanks for the reply! It helped to decide how to proceed with next steps. After calling twice on Saturday, once on Sunday, and twice on Monday, I finally gave up and cancelled the order. Unfortunately, no one in the fulfillment department ever replied to the customer service rep who tried to help me, and their database system kept showing my item as "scheduled to be released." However, my view of the order details online continued to state, "Backordered." Hopefully, the hold on my credit card will release in two weeks. If not, another callback will be made. On Monday morning (12/17), I tried speaking to a supervisor only to be told she would call me back. After not getting a callback by end of day, I asked to leave voicemail for a supervisor (she was in a conference meeting), only to listen to her voicemail message and get the notification "...cannot leave message, mailbox full." It's an unfortunate set of circumstances to quickly lose a potential loyal customer. Moreover, their San Francisco Premium Outlet location had one in stock and on sale for $219 the same day I placed my order online, and for $20 in fare (also 4 hours round trip) on public transportation plus $20 more for the handbag, I could have purchased it. Sadly, it was just two opportunities lost from that sales day. I must say, I am highly impressed with the quality of Dooney & Bourke handbags, as I have purchased a few from QVC.com over the past three months (Florentine Brenna Satchel and Embossed Croco Deana Satchels). I bought a City Large Barlow in Black on December 3rd from the Dooney.com site and it shipped out the same day. I guess my expectations for quick delivery service based on my prior purchase was a one off. I'm very happy with the handbags I have purchased from QVC - love those EasyPays - and I'm happy with my City Large Barlow. I will no longer order from Dooney.com and will most likely not make any future Dooney & Bourke handbag purchases. Again, thank you.

Thanks for the reply! It helped to decide how to proceed with next steps. After calling twice on Saturday, once on Sunday, and twice on Monday, I finally gave up and cancelled the order. Unfortunately, no one in the fulfillment department ever replied to the customer service rep who tried to help me, and their database system kept showing my item as "scheduled to be released." However, my view of the order details online continued to state, "Backordered." Hopefully, the hold on my credit card will release in two weeks. If not, another callback will be made. On Monday morning (12/17), I tried speaking to a supervisor only to be told she would call me back. After not getting a callback by end of day, I asked to leave voicemail for a supervisor (she was in a conference meeting), only to listen to her voicemail message and get the notification "...cannot leave message, mailbox full." It's an unfortunate set of circumstances to quickly lose a potential loyal customer. Moreover, their San Francisco Premium Outlet location had one in stock and on sale for $219 the same day I placed my order online, and for $20 in fare (also 4 hours round trip) on public transportation plus $20 more for the handbag, I could have purchased it. Sadly, it was just two opportunities lost from that sales day. I must say, I am highly impressed with the quality of Dooney & Bourke handbags, as I have purchased a few from QVC.com over the past three months (Florentine Brenna Satchel and Embossed Croco Deana Satchels). I bought a City Large Barlow in Black on December 3rd from the Dooney.com site and it shipped out the same day. I guess my expectations for quick delivery service based on my prior purchase was a one off. I'm very happy with the handbags I have purchased from QVC - love those EasyPays - and I'm happy with my City Large Barlow. I will no longer order from Dooney.com and will most likely not make any future Dooney & Bourke handbag purchases. Again, thank you.

I didn’t answer your other post because I’ve no experience with an item being sold to me online as ‘in stock’ and going on back order after the fact.
But then I thought, well, that in itself is ‘experience’ of a kind.
I get most of my Dooney from stores of the Marshalls type (TK Maxx in Europe), or eBay, but I’ve still ordered from Dooney’s main site many times.
I have never had a problem with shipping speed or stock count. I usually get everything fast and without issue. I also have always had fast painless shipping from ILoveDooney’s site. Heck, I ordered two bags on the late night of the 13th, got the shipment notification around 12:15 AM on the 15th, and they’ll be here tomorrow.
(They’ve been in my city since about noon today, my post office is just :-s)

So I would be tempted to chalk this up to their not being properly prepared for holiday onslaught, as opposed to ‘this is what my average experience is likely to be’.
I agree that it’s still not okay, and probably preventable on their end, and that the resulting experience is still disappointing. But I hope it turns out well, whatever the end result, and that you find D&B SOMEWHERE that works for you, they really are so nice. I will be hoping for your happiness.:yes:

She's here! Well, one of them, at least. The one that shipped out first (cognac) is still on it's way. I purchased both together. I guess cognac is coming from another place.
Anyway, I love the bordeaux! It's the dark rich color I was hoping for. BUUUT... what a pain to open and close the lock!!! [emoji15] I was not expecting that! I might try one more way to open. If it doesn't make it better I will just have to let her go. [emoji30] I mean, the level of effort required was just too much. Maybe it's just this one and cognac will he better. We'll see....
20181217_192330.jpg

She's here! Well, one of them, at least. The one that shipped out first (cognac) is still on it's way. I purchased both together. I guess cognac is coming from another place.
Anyway, I love the bordeaux! It's the dark rich color I was hoping for. BUUUT... what a pain to open and close the lock!!! [emoji15] I was not expecting that! I might try one more way to open. If it doesn't make it better I will just have to let her go. [emoji30] I mean, the level of effort required was just too much. Maybe it's just this one and cognac will he better. We'll see....
View attachment 4282582
carterazo, she is beautiful! I've heard the lock gets easier to operate as the bag softens a bit. Hopefully it will get easier so you can keep that beauty!

View attachment 4282582
It’s very beautiful....
Do you have other logo lock closure bags..? I found for whatever reason that maybe depending on whether you typically carry on your right or left side, turning mine one way (for example, duck out) makes for a frustrating hassle, while simply turning it the other way out, suddenly I’m snapping it on and off no worries!
But that particular bag, the lock almost looks ‘tight’, like it’s right up against the top of the ring that ‘receives’ it...is that what’s making it hard to wrestle..? Maybe the flap will ‘relax’ after a bit thus lowering the lock a little..?

View attachment 4282582
Hang in there! I just finished carrying this bag for the month of November. It WAS difficult at first and I thought I was in trouble. It was a Christmas gift from my husband last year so I had to keep it. By the end of the month it was much easier. Not sure if the bag relaxed, if I unknowingly trained myself to open and close it a certain way or if I simply became more tolerant. The pockets inside were mighty tight though and somewhat useless but I don’t use them much anyway (just for a small trac phone and a pack of tissues). Good luck!

carterazo, she is beautiful! I've heard the lock gets easier to operate as the bag softens a bit. Hopefully it will get easier so you can keep that beauty!
Thank you! I hope so too!
It’s very beautiful....
Do you have other logo lock closure bags..? I found for whatever reason that maybe depending on whether you typically carry on your right or left side, turning mine one way (for example, duck out) makes for a frustrating hassle, while simply turning it the other way out, suddenly I’m snapping it on and off no worries!
But that particular bag, the lock almost looks ‘tight’, like it’s right up against the top of the ring that ‘receives’ it...is that what’s making it hard to wrestle..? Maybe the flap will ‘relax’ after a bit thus lowering the lock a little..?
Thanks! Yes, I had a small, white satchel for years and never had an issue. I didn't expect it to be an easy flip or anything. I mean, this one is hard to open even when set down on a table and using BOTH hands. [emoji34] It's almost as if the flap isn't long enough. [emoji19]
Hang in there! I just finished carrying this bag for the month of November. It WAS difficult at first and I thought I was in trouble. It was a Christmas gift from my husband last year so I had to keep it. By the end of the month it was much easier. Not sure if the bag relaxed, if I unknowingly trained myself to open and close it a certain way or if I simply became more tolerant. The pockets inside were mighty tight though and somewhat useless but I don’t use them much anyway (just for a small trac phone and a pack of tissues). Good luck!
Hmmm, that sounds promising. Glad to know it's not just me. I can live without the pockets, but the closing shouldn't be this hard. I mean, it's like it's missing half an inch or something. Maybe I'll be less annoyed when I get off work for the holidays. [emoji28]

I didn’t answer your other post because I’ve no experience with an item being sold to me online as ‘in stock’ and going on back order after the fact.
But then I thought, well, that in itself is ‘experience’ of a kind.
I get most of my Dooney from stores of the Marshalls type (TK Maxx in Europe), or eBay, but I’ve still ordered from Dooney’s main site many times.
I have never had a problem with shipping speed or stock count. I usually get everything fast and without issue. I also have always had fast painless shipping from ILoveDooney’s site. Heck, I ordered two bags on the late night of the 13th, got the shipment notification around 12:15 AM on the 15th, and they’ll be here tomorrow.
(They’ve been in my city since about noon today, my post office is just :-s)

So I would be tempted to chalk this up to their not being properly prepared for holiday onslaught, as opposed to ‘this is what my average experience is likely to be’.
I agree that it’s still not okay, and probably preventable on their end, and that the resulting experience is still disappointing. But I hope it turns out well, whatever the end result, and that you find D&B SOMEWHERE that works for you, they really are so nice. I will be hoping for your happiness.:yes:

Thanks for your response. I'm glad your experiences have gone well and have made you a loyal customer. :happydance: Unfortunately, I had a bad experience with D&B, and poor customer service is a deal breaker for me, especially when I've done all the calling in 72+ hours' time span to urge a resolution to THEIR error. :mad: The only company I know that has quality saddle leather and can design close to D&B handbag styles is a custom manufacturer in San Francisco named Glaser Designs. Their starting prices are $900 for small handbags, $1,200 for totes, $2,000 for hand colored handbags/totes, and it may take at least a month to get a custom bag. Luckily, I live in San Francisco, so I have many stores from which to shop for handbags at various price ranges. I'll just have to wait for the after Christmas sales though...:yes:

Reactions: Dooneysta
B2678CC2-7469-46E8-B9EF-ED19FE357A6B.jpeg 0147AAB7-9949-41B8-810B-6A3BB2E21238.jpeg Lavenderjunkie, you have a ton of zip zips. I only have four or five. Is this within the normal range of bottom pooching?
Most of mine don’t pooch out at all when sitting on a surface, and the others do, but not THIS much. Would this bother you, do you think it will flatten out with time, and is it just the norm nowadays..?

The D&B exchange policy is so lame and I don’t want to pay to send it back to pay the difference between whatever I got it for and whatever it’s priced at now all to get another one back with the same pooch.
I hope you have noticed that big sags flatten.:hrmm::-s:confused1:

Reactions: RuedeNesle
View attachment 4283141 View attachment 4283142 Lavenderjunkie, you have a ton of zip zips. I only have four or five. Is this within the normal range of bottom pooching?
Most of mine don’t pooch out at all when sitting on a surface, and the others do, but not THIS much. Would this bother you, do you think it will flatten out with time, and is it just the norm nowadays..?

The D&B exchange policy is so lame and I don’t want to pay to send it back to pay the difference between whatever I got it for and whatever it’s priced at now all to get another one back with the same pooch.
I hope you have noticed that big sags flatten.:hrmm::-s:confused1:
Dooneysta: I haven't noticed a major problem of the bottom poofing. My bags are leather, so maybe that's the difference. I don't know. Sometimes I think it might be how the bag is sewn, and maybe after a while the leather relaxes. If it bothers you, return the handbag. I wouldn't get involved with their exchange.... I know ILD doesn't even have an exchange... I think at this time of year even if Dooney does have an exchange you are asking for confusion.

Reactions: Dooneysta
Dooneysta: I haven't noticed a major problem of the bottom poofing. My bags are leather, so maybe that's the difference. I don't know. Sometimes I think it might be how the bag is sewn, and maybe after a while the leather relaxes. If it bothers you, return the handbag. I wouldn't get involved with their exchange.... I know ILD doesn't even have an exchange... I think at this time of year even if Dooney does have an exchange you are asking for confusion.
Now that you mention it, this is the only coated cotton ZZ I have too. Most are pebble; one might be Claremont. Hm!
For the price paid, I think I will keep it, and gamble that the sides will relax down to cover the ‘pooch’.
If it doesn’t, I’ll definitely avoid coated cotton zip zip going forward...

Now that you mention it, this is the only coated cotton ZZ I have too. Most are pebble; one might be Claremont. Hm!
For the price paid, I think I will keep it, and gamble that the sides will relax down to cover the ‘pooch’.
If it doesn’t, I’ll definitely avoid coated cotton zip zip going forward...
Also, when you fill the bag the weight of the items might help.

Sorry they did you like that but I’m glad you didn’t go away forever :hugs:

That's such a sweet sentiment, Dooneysta, thank you!
As you can see: I'm baaaaaack. Unfortunately the siren song of Dooney products, even direct from the evil Dooney.com website, was too much for me to resist. But I did hold out a good long time.

You're very welcome and I'm glad you'll be spared some frustration during the holiday festivities week(s). I would love to see you around these boards sharing your thoughts or questions about your fabulous Dooneys.
If we were having this discussion any time between December 2017 and, say, June 2018, I would be the last person in the world to tell you to give Dooney.com another try. I was very angry with them and extremely fed up with their inability to handle the immediate post-holiday sales/rush. I read old threads here on the forum that suggested this was a systemic and repeated Dooney problem.

But...they had new bags and new sales as 2018 wore on and I am so pleased with their quality and durability that I just couldn't stay away forever. I will say that everything else I ordered from Dooney.com in 2018 (around 5 orders, I think, maybe a couple more) including the 12 Days orders have come with no problem and no "surprise backorder." Credit where it's due.

I echo Dooneysta's point that if you find yourself drawn to more Dooneys and very understandably want to boycott Dooney.com as I did for much of 2018, ILoveDooney has been totally smooth sailing for me, both in prices/sales and in shipping. One time they sent me the wrong color--it had been mis-tagged in the factory-- and they took it back immediately and processed the return without deducting return shipping from me, at my request.

The Dooneys you have are really good ones and I hope you enjoy them! Season's Greetings!

Reactions: bellebellebelle19
View attachment 4282582

Claire in Cognac arrived today. She's lovely, but not as stunning as bordeaux. Just for the heck of it, I decided to try the lock. It opened easily with one hand. It turns out the bordeaux is actually about half an inch shorter than the cognac. No wonder she's so hard to open/close! I'm so torn because I love the color. But she really is a pain to open/close. If only there were a Dooney store in my area. Sigh. Oh well, either I suck it up or return it. :P:huh: