Who remembers Monsieur Claude from the NYC store?

mesvalises

O.G.
Jan 7, 2008
I've often wondered if M. Claude (in the French manner, I never addressed him as just "Claude") went back to France after he retired from the NYC store. He was the best, from back in calmer days before professional flexing and Birkinmania took over. He saved my Peau d' Éléphant Kelly twice. It still looks as good today as the day I bought it, (before elephant skin was declared illegal.)

I've often wondered if M. Claude (in the French manner, I never addressed him as just "Claude") went back to France after he retired from the NYC store. He was the best, from back in calmer days before professional flexing and Birkinmania took over. He saved my Peau d' Éléphant Kelly twice. It still looks as good today as the day I bought it, (before elephant skin was declared illegal.)
No he is to the best of my knowledge living in the US.
He was & still is an extraordinary craftsman, charming & sheer delight to have a H conversation with
as well as other non H conversations.
I miss seeing him :heart: in his apron behind his table at H as I knew him for many years..

....peau d'elephant?! That is WILD (literally and otherwise). Are you able to travel with it?

Reminds me a bit of shahtoosh shawls here in India: manufacturing/selling shawls became illegal to protect the increasingly-endangered chirus from which they derived, but quite a few local families owned them. The solution was that every shawl had to be registered with the government. I can't imagine that flying in the US, but I'm quite fascinated by the evolution of fashion materials.

Claude was lovely and knowledgeable, and the reason why I vacillated between Madison and WS for so long. His successor Andre? was also very nice. But when Claude retired, it was the end of an era. . . @mesvalises , your kelly sounds very nice and I’m glad Claude was able to save it. Its my understanding that elephant hides can be legally culled these days.

• Love
Reactions: mesvalises
No he is to the best of my knowledge living in the US.
He was & still is an extraordinary craftsman, charming & sheer delight to have a H conversation with
as well as other non H conversations.
I miss seeing him :heart: in his apron behind his table at H as I knew him for many years..
That's great to know. I no longer live in NYC, so I haven't kept up. Thanks so much for the update!

Claude was lovely and knowledgeable, and the reason why I vacillated between Madison and WS for so long. His successor Andre? was also very nice. But when Claude retired, it was the end of an era. . . @mesvalises , your kelly sounds very nice and I’m glad Claude was able to save it. Its my understanding that elephant hides can be legally culled these days.
I know that Peter Nitz in Zurich is currently using Elephant hides in his beautiful work. Nevertheless, I don't take it out the US when I travel. Yes, after all these years she's still a beauty. I'll be lucky to age half as well!

Attachments

• IMG_0110.jpeg
    IMG_0110.jpeg
    390.3 KB · Views: 129
I know that Peter Nitz in Zurich is currently using Elephant hides in his beautiful work. Nevertheless, I don't take it out the US when I travel. Yes, after all these years she's still a beauty. I'll be lucky to age half as well!
Your bag is lovely with such beautiful patina. Duret offers an option for legally culled Elephant as well. :smile:

• Love
Reactions: mesvalises
Your bag is lovely with such beautiful patina. Duret offers an option for legally culled Elephant as well. :smile:
Thanks, that's good to know. It's interesting because the sides of the bag have much of the original, matte finish. I've left it as it is, as that bag has been with me through much of my life. It has many stories to tell and it's had a life of its own! OTOH, I am very glad that it can't talk...

Last edited:
I know that Peter Nitz in Zurich is currently using Elephant hides in his beautiful work. Nevertheless, I don't take it out the US when I travel. Yes, after all these years she's still a beauty. I'll be lucky to age half as well! Here's the original PdE strap with the clunky, awkward old H hardware. A number of years ago I had a new strap made in Togo.

Attachments

• IMG_0111.jpeg
    IMG_0111.jpeg
    386.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
....peau d'elephant?! That is WILD (literally and otherwise). Are you able to travel with it?

Reminds me a bit of shahtoosh shawls here in India: manufacturing/selling shawls became illegal to protect the increasingly-endangered chirus from which they derived, but quite a few local families owned them. The solution was that every shawl had to be registered with the government. I can't imagine that flying in the US, but I'm quite fascinated by the evolution of fashion materials.
No, I can't take it out of the US, as I didn't need or get a CITES cert when I bought it. I simply paid the duty and that was that. I won't even tell you all how much it cost because you will SCREAM when you realize how much H has increased their prices over the years 🤐 Let's just say that you MIGHT be able to score a rather beat up, pre-owned garden party bag today for what I paid back then. The day that I bought it, the Paris flagship had the PdE and a black box Kelly. I'm not sure that Togo even existed back then. In the past (because of travel, and because I adore elephants) I have sometimes regretted buying the PdE, but as the SA advised me that day, it has proven to be MUCH sturdier than box.

Anyhoo, I only use a black Taurillon Clemence Bolide and vintage black TC Galop overnight bag for travel.

Last edited:

I had a dear friend who was Iranian but grew up in India. Years ago, he once asked me if I wanted to see his shatoosh shawl. He had it carefully wrapped in archival tissue and secreted away in a wardrobe drawer. It was a beautiful, pale oatmeal color and exquisitely soft, but I think the rarity and forbidden fruit aspect made it that much more appealing. I'm VERY glad that endangered species are now protected, but it is human nature to pursue that which is both exclusive AND elusive. I gather that to this day, people still jump through hoops and break the law to get shatoosh.

Last edited:
Reactions: MonsoonBirkin