Who remembers Monsieur Claude from the NYC store?

No he is to the best of my knowledge living in the US.
He was & still is an extraordinary craftsman, charming & sheer delight to have a H conversation with
as well as other non H conversations.
I miss seeing him :heart: in his apron behind his table at H as I knew him for many years..
The story of how M. Claude came to repair my PdE Kelly is a pretty good one. By the time my bag needed repair, US Fish and Wildlife had declared PdE hides illegal, and Hermès craftsmen had strict instructions not to TOUCH PdE bags. When I took the bag in, M. Claude politely but firmly declined to accept it for repair. I left in despair. WHAT TO DO?

Sooooo, I wrote to the chairman of Hermès USA (I wish I could remember his last name- I think his first name was Chris) and literally BEGGED him to allow M. Claude to fix my bag. Hermès was a much smaller company back then, and still privately held. He very kindly agreed and my bag lived to see another day.

The next time I took it in to M. Claude was years later when the handle needed replacing. As soon as he saw me and the bag he laughed and exclaimed, "Oh No! Not THAT bag again!" He had to use Taurillon Clemence this time, but he did a beautiful job that has lasted to this day.

Last edited: