Which rose gold watch - Daytona or Ballon Bleu???

kim_mac

O.G.
Feb 27, 2007
I have been eyeing the Cartier RG Ballon Bleu (medium) with diamond bezel for awhile now but when I was shopping for DH's Rolex this weekend, I tried on a Rolex RG Daytona and I was blown away.

DH thinks the Daytona looks better but my best friend thinks this watch is too "masculine" on me since my style is classic and pretty. Also my wrist is pretty small (I wear a 16 Love bracelet) and I'm not sure if the Daytona is too big on me. I think I could get used to it pretty quickly though :smile:

Which Rose Gold watch do you prefer?

Cartier Ballon Bleu with diamond bezel (36mm)
Rolex Daytona with pink face and black subdials (40mm)

Thanks!!!

I can't believe I'm saying this because I love and adore Cartier watch styles and am generally not a rolex fan....

But I'm going with Rolex Daytona. Mostly because of the stories and fading issues of the Cartier rose gold. Had this not been an issue and it was SS I would go Cartier.

I had no idea about Cartier RG and the fading issue - yikes! I've always though Cartier had the best RG (the tone is so pretty).

So, I'm scanning through the "Celebrities and their Watches" thread and I'm bookmarking every RG Ballon Bleu and RG Daytona - and I have to admit that every time I see a Daytona, I get really excited! AHHHH, I think I'm wanting a Rolex when all this time I've been dreaming about the Cartier!!!

In was going back and forth on the same thing and saving for a RG Ballon Bleu, but some of the stories here about the Cartier RG fading to yellow gold has scared me! I need to stop by and talk to my SA and see what she says.

Ok, first of all you are SO lucky to be deciding between these 2 dream watches!!! :nuts:

My choice is 100% Daytona. I'm dying to own the SS, but if I could afford it, I would definitely go with a rose gold as well. It is an exceptionally beautiful, stunning watch. So well made!

I also have a small wrist, size 16 Love bracelet, but when I tried on the Daytona, it really felt comfortable and just melted onto my wrist. I think after a few days, the 40 mm size wouldn't be a big issue, IMO.

Let's talk about function and style. Daytona is large and sporty, and therefore more casual; Ballon Bleu is elegant and dressier, a better match for suits and evening clothing. Which is more your everyday need?

There's a Daytona mania underway that is probably influential to many, but it's a lot of money to put into a fashion choice. So be sure you actually love it if you go that route.

Daytona all the way!!! As someone already mentioned it, Cartier has major issues with rose gold eventually fading. As far I know Rolex rose gold is considered the best, it is even certified. I tried a yg and rg Daytona, and although I always leaned towards yg now I am starting to reconsider. My local jeweler told me that it's the hottest watch right now and they sell more RG Daytonas than YG on a monthly basis. Although Cartier is quite nice, I would not go with Ballon in rg.

I can't believe I'm saying this because I love and adore Cartier watch styles and am generally not a rolex fan....

But I'm going with Rolex Daytona. Mostly because of the stories and fading issues of the Cartier rose gold. Had this not been an issue and it was SS I would go Cartier.

I agree. I was looking at the rose gold Ballon and will be going with stainless due to these issues.

The Daytona is stunning and I really like the oversize shape on the female wrist.

I actually have the large size Cartier RG Ballon Bleu. It's a stunningly beautiful watch and I've received many compliments on it. It's very comfortable to wear and goes well with both casual and dressier occasions.

Sadly, I'm one of those people who have watched my rose gold fade from, what I think is the nicest of the designer's rose golds, to what looks like regular yellow gold.
I've had my watch for 2 1/2 years and received it for my 25th wedding anniversary.

The watch has been returned to the jewelry store from where it was purchased and is being sent to Cartier for further inspection. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

In my opinion, nothing can compare to the Cartier RG Ballon Bleu (I had tried on many different RG watches before making my decision) BUT.... Watching my beloved watch turn from rose to yellow gold is beyond disappointing and so I would recommend the RG Rolex Daytona. Rolex's RG will hold it's colour!

Good luck with your decision!