Which Mulberry leathers have we washed with success??

I have a pre loved Mitzy hobo and it came with a dried up yoghurt stain that made the leather hard but its on the back of the bag so I afraid to wash it and mess up the leather. The seller suggested that I might bring it to a shoemaker that has some more experience? What do you guys think just use water and soap or bring it to the shoemaker?

Reactions: Chunky1701
I have a pre loved Mitzy hobo and it came with a dried up yoghurt stain that made the leather hard but its on the back of the bag so I afraid to wash it and mess up the leather. The seller suggested that I might bring it to a shoemaker that has some more experience? What do you guys think just use water and soap or bring it to the shoemaker?
Hi there and welcome! I would definitely attempt a soapy cloth (wrung out and a microfibre cloth if you have one) on this and let it dry out afterwards then put on some leather conditioner to soften the leather. Can I ask, does the stain look dark as it may be a greasy stain, in which case a wash with soapy water will not remove. Try the soapy cloth first and let us know how it's gone. Do not rub so hard that the coating comes off the leather (I am speaking from bitter experience here) Good Luck!

Reactions: Monoi
Hi there and welcome! I would definitely attempt a soapy cloth (wrung out and a microfibre cloth if you have one) on this and let it dry out afterwards then put on some leather conditioner to soften the leather. Can I ask, does the stain look dark as it may be a greasy stain, in which case a wash with soapy water will not remove. Try the soapy cloth first and let us know how it's gone. Do not rub so hard that the coating comes off the leather (I am speaking from bitter experience here) Good Luck!

Thank you Chunky, I will try your advice, I have a microfibre cloth. I think I even have a conditioner I have to look in my shed. The stain isnt that dark, I have to look at that closer. I will post a update, perhaps with pics.

Not a leather but am looking at a nylon Rosie...would that be easy to wash?
Don't think there's been anything posted about cleaning a nylon Rosie, but shouldn't be too difficult, unless it's badly stained, so if you can get clear photos prior to committing to purchase, I'd do so. But first of all, I'd give it a good clean all over when it arrives with gentle wipes, as you'd be surprised how much that removes. You may not need to wash it.

Reactions: Narnanz
Don't think there's been anything posted about cleaning a nylon Rosie, but shouldn't be too difficult, unless it's badly stained, so if you can get clear photos prior to committing to purchase, I'd do so. But first of all, I'd give it a good clean all over when it arrives with gentle wipes, as you'd be surprised how much that removes. You may not need to wash it.
Thank you..it looks pretty good in the photos...so good to know.

Reactions: MulberryMermaid
Thank you..it looks pretty good in the photos...so good to know.
Hello! I washed my nylon Rosie and she came out looking really good! I wrapped the leather handle in cling film and then in to a plastic bag. I washed the lining first by turning the bag inside out as it was rather stained with make up etc, and then once that was cleaner, I dunked the whole lot in gentle hand wash liquid. Packed her with towels and then dried her slowly over several days, changing the towels and keeping the lining pulled out.
Do hope you have success as Rosie is a lovely lightweight bag, especially for summer!
Gilly

Hello! I washed my nylon Rosie and she came out looking really good! I wrapped the leather handle in cling film and then in to a plastic bag. I washed the lining first by turning the bag inside out as it was rather stained with make up etc, and then once that was cleaner, I dunked the whole lot in gentle hand wash liquid. Packed her with towels and then dried her slowly over several days, changing the towels and keeping the lining pulled out.
Do hope you have success as Rosie is a lovely lightweight bag, especially for summer!
Gilly
Excellent...have got her today and she looks pretty good but think I will still clean her so shes nice a fresh for her new life with me.

Reactions: MulberryMermaid
Ladies, do you have any experience with washing an Elgin? I've been searching for one for ages, now I found one for just 100€, but it has some stains on the back. Any feedback is appreciated ❤

Ladies, do you have any experience with washing an Elgin? I've been searching for one for ages, now I found one for just 100€, but it has some stains on the back. Any feedback is appreciated ❤

Darwin leather, hmmm--yes, did that! I washed a Jacquetta in the sink, and it came out well with lots of aftercare TLC. What colour is the Elgin? Do you have any photos you could post so we could see what the stains might be?

From the photos, it looks like an Oak Elgin that has seen some life, not at all without hope! :smile: Quite possibly, the bulk of the marks are water damage, which happens very easily with Oak that has not been protected prior to use, for instance with Collonil Waterstop. The marks on the interior may be different but this to me is a case of whether you will be happy with a bag that has some marks that may not come out completely, so that you will have areas of the leather that remain darker than others. Ultimately, Oak Darwin acquires its own unique patina which is what makes it so very beautiful.

There are examples on here of what people have done to remedy stains/marks to Oak, from the spot treatments to the "total immersion" method, in which you throw caution to the wind and immerse your bag fully so as to even out the stains within the darker colour the water brings to the leather. That can actually produce a lovely result. As you say, one only knows afterwards what the actual end result will be, as it's impossible to know the history of what a pre-owned bag has been through or what, if any, products have been used on the leather. You may find that a jolly good cleaning and conditioning will be enough to make you happy with it, or you may decide it needs more drastic treatment. It's difficult to find a pristine Oak Darwin bag of any type but they occasionally do come up, if you can be patient, and of course with a price tag to match. If you like the look of the Elgin, I'd give it a try if you don't mind the element of risk. The Oak will still be lovely in its own way, even if imperfect, and it may even come out better than you expected with a little TLC :heart:

A while back I bought a Fuschia Mabel as a project bag with every intention of giving her a gentle and loving restoration. What actually happened was I forgot about her for ages, then stuck her in the washing machine on a whim today (gentle cycle, in a pillowcase).

I don’t know what the previous owner did to her, but stuff that came off in the wash was the colour of bog water. She’s gone bright purple, & her handle inking (which was already badly cracked) has disintegrated a little, but other than that she looks to be in great nick & much cleaner than before. I’ve stuffed her with paper and left her on the airer. I’m calling a semi-success.