Which hardware color should I get?

May 17, 2006
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on this custom bag from an Etsy seller:
Untitled1.jpg

My version will still be pink but will have black "trim" on the flap and silver sides/bottom, as loosely marked here:
Untitled.jpg

My challenge now is picking the hardware. I could stay with gold, as in the photo or go with silver. Or, I could go for rainbow hardware:
icm_fullxfull.260459972_iyeuliyvbogkk8okks4c.jpg

Any thoughts/advice/guidance? I really love rainbow hardware. I had an Alexander Wang Rockie in black w/iridescent hardware that I LOVED (but sold because the bag itself didn't work for me), and I've always wanted something else with that rainbow/iridescent hardware. I particularly love rainbow hardware against black, but I think it looks quite nice against this pink too. However, I've found that rainbow hardware can sometimes look juvenile to me. I can't quite put my finger on what makes it work for me and what makes it look silly to me, but it's one of those things that I see and know - I feel like it works and love it or it really doesn't. That is what I fear here - I'm worried that I'll end up feeling the rainbow hardware was a poor choice for this bag. And I'm afraid I don't have the vision to be able to really imagine what it would look like with rainbow hardware without actually seeing it. A part of me feels like I should go safe with gold or silver (but which one?), but another feels like I should indulge my rainbow hardware love. What do you think?

I think you need to go with what works for you, rainbow is a bit difficult especially if the bag is that strong in colour, but as you said, if you wear a lot of black, it might work for you. As for you going with gold or silver, I personally think the gold and pink is a bit of an overkill, just a bit too much, but if you tend to wear a lot of gold, it is different for you.

Reactions: dramaprincess713
I think you need to go with what works for you, rainbow is a bit difficult especially if the bag is that strong in colour, but as you said, if you wear a lot of black, it might work for you. As for you going with gold or silver, I personally think the gold and pink is a bit of an overkill, just a bit too much, but if you tend to wear a lot of gold, it is different for you.
Thanks for your thoughts! I’ve never been one to care about matching my hardware to my jewelry or bags to my outfits so that didn’t really occur to me. You’re right, the bag is quite a strong color and that’s something to think about. I’ve been doing some image searching, and it seems that while I love rainbow hardware, I really am quite picky about when I like it and when I don’t. When I like it, I really really like it, but more often than not, I’m finding that I don’t love it in most bags. It makes me think I should probably pass on the rainbow hardware, but I can’t seem to make that a definitive decision because I keep thinking, what if I would like it on this bag? Ugh, I’m the WORST at making these kinds of decisions!

Personally with that strong pink, I would go for silver, I think the rainbow hardware on black or distressed could look really good, with such a vibrant pink, it could be a total overkill

Thank you for your thoughts! I managed to so do very poor image editing, and of the three options. From this, I think I've ruled out gold. And honestly, I should rule out the rainbow hardware - it does look a bit much. I can't seem to completely rule it out though, and I'm not sure why! I think I like the silver the best, and but I think I just like the idea of rainbow hardware and can't seem to get it out of my mind!
BeFunky-collage.jpg
I know this is bad image editing, but anyone else want to push me in one direction with hardware choice?

That bag is tdf! Can you tell me the name of the Etsy seller so I can check it out? Thanks!
I'm very close to pulling the trigger on this custom bag from an Etsy seller:
View attachment 4762635

My version will still be pink but will have black "trim" on the flap and silver sides/bottom, as loosely marked here:
View attachment 4762651

My challenge now is picking the hardware. I could stay with gold, as in the photo or go with silver. Or, I could go for rainbow hardware:
View attachment 4762653

Any thoughts/advice/guidance? I really love rainbow hardware. I had an Alexander Wang Rockie in black w/iridescent hardware that I LOVED (but sold because the bag itself didn't work for me), and I've always wanted something else with that rainbow/iridescent hardware. I particularly love rainbow hardware against black, but I think it looks quite nice against this pink too. However, I've found that rainbow hardware can sometimes look juvenile to me. I can't quite put my finger on what makes it work for me and what makes it look silly to me, but it's one of those things that I see and know - I feel like it works and love it or it really doesn't. That is what I fear here - I'm worried that I'll end up feeling the rainbow hardware was a poor choice for this bag. And I'm afraid I don't have the vision to be able to really imagine what it would look like with rainbow hardware without actually seeing it. A part of me feels like I should go safe with gold or silver (but which one?), but another feels like I should indulge my rainbow hardware love. What do you think?