Which grammar/spelling errors are your pet peeves?

When people say "piece" of mind instead of the correct, peace of mind. Why would someone want a piece of your mind?

Both are correct - it depends on what you mean, contextually.

Edit: Apologies if you specifically meant someone just using "piece of mind"... Just realised that.

Yes, if I could give you a piece of my mind, I would have peace of mind. But I certainly wouldn't give you a piece of mind like a piece of pie. Lol.

Reactions: Prada Prince
Ok, I know I may be in the minority about this one.... but what is up with the need to turn to a diminutive form for the word lipstick???
Why are grown adults still saying lippy instead of lipstick??????? Drives me insane.... but I guess I am just not one for slang or dumbing things down.

Reactions: loh
Both are correct - it depends on what you mean, contextually.

Edit: Apologies if you specifically meant someone just using "piece of mind"... Just realised that.
I've heard it in the context as though it was peace of mind, but they say piece of mind instead. Drives me nuts lol.

Reactions: Prada Prince
I'm curious to hear if grammar and spelling errors bother other people, and if you ever correct them. They bother me, but I would never bring it up to anyone. I know my use of language is not perfect, but there are certain things that really bother me. (Let me clarify that I am only bothered if English is the speaker's native/first language. I make horrible grammatical errors in every other language I speak.)

What are your grammar/spelling pet peeves? Or do you not care at all?
Mine:

He offered my husband and I a case of champagne . ( "my husband and me".)
"Per say" (per se)
I would of done that if I could. ("Would have")
I got a sneak peak at the new collection. ("Sneak peek")
My son's English class is predominately female. (Predominantly)
Their vs. there and their

I'm curious to hear if grammar and spelling errors bother other people, and if you ever correct them. They bother me, but I would never bring it up to anyone. I know my use of language is not perfect, but there are certain things that really bother me. (Let me clarify that I am only bothered if English is the speaker's native/first language. I make horrible grammatical errors in every other language I speak.)

Mine:

"Per say" (per se)
Loose vs. lose

Mine:

"Per say" (per se)
Affect vs. effect

Accept vs. except

To vs. too vs. two

Ok, I know I may be in the minority about this one.... but what is up with the need to turn to a diminutive form for the word lipstick???
Why are grown adults still saying lippy instead of lipstick??????? Drives me insane.... but I guess I am just not one for slang or dumbing things down.
Or sammy for sandwich.

Reactions: luckylove