Which grammar/spelling errors are your pet peeves?

I'll abstain from the classic "their/they're/there", "your/you're", and "it/it's" and instead share a recent example that I've seen repeated a few times at work:

Tenet vs. tenant

One is a principle, and the other is someone who rents :biggrin:

• Wow
Reactions: whateve
^The logic isn't right that way. "Worse comes to worst" means the bad thing gets as bad as possible, the endpoint of badness. In grammarspeak it's a contrast between a comparative adjective (worse) and a superlative adjective (worst).

Up there with couldn't care less imo - my pet peeve lol

Reactions: loh
Found an article in the NYT on the "worse/worst comes to worst" conundrum, and what the writer Ben Zimmer says makes a lot of sense.

According to him, the saying originated as "if the worst comes to the worst" which meant if the worst possibility imaginable became reality, so theoretical worst scenario vs actual worst scenario.

Then Daniel Defoe in Robinson Crusoe changed it to "If the worse came to the worst, I could but die," which implied that the titular castaway was morosely imagining his plight would further deteriorate.

Reactions: jellyv and whateve
A couple of pages back, I wrote about the grammar and spelling errors caused by auto-generated closed captioning. A few days ago, I listened to a lady who would be embarrassed if her speech underwent autogen captioning.

Many of my countrymen/women like to drop the last consonant and roll a non-existent R. For instance, "last" will be pronounced "larrs". This lady was taking part in a Q and A session and repeatedly said the word "ask". I'll leave it to you to imagine how she pronounced "ask" and how the word would be auto-generated.

I'm back on the complimentary/complementary train because for me personally it's one of the most egregious errors. No, your shoes do not "compliment" your dress, unless your shoes can talk. The shoes complement your dress (we hope :lol: ).

If a person is complimentary, they are being nice and saying flattering things. If a thing is complimentary, it is a gift, or free. I only wish my shoes and dress were free!

Compliment:
noun
a polite expression of praise or admiration.
"she paid me an enormous compliment"
verb
politely congratulate or praise (someone) for something.
"he complimented Erica on her appearance"

Complimentary:
adjective
expressing a compliment; praising or approving.
"Jennie was very complimentary about Kathy's riding"

given or supplied free of charge.
"a complimentary bottle of wine"

Complement:
noun
a thing that completes or brings to perfection.
"the libretto proved a perfect complement to the music"
verb
add to (something) in a way that enhances or improves it; make perfect.
"a classic blazer complements a look that's stylish or casual"

Complementary:
adjective
completing something else or making it better : serving as a complement
  • She wore a new outfit with a complementary scarf.
used of two things when each adds something to the other or helps to make the other better
  • The print and online publications are complementary, not competitive.
  • The company owes its success to the complementary talents of its co-owners.
going together well : working well together
  • My spouse and I have complementary goals.
  • complementary flavors

(Source: Oxford Languages and Britannica, for both American and British English)

:btdh:

I'm back on the complimentary/complementary train because for me personally it's one of the most egregious errors. No, your shoes do not "compliment" your dress, unless your shoes can talk. The shoes complement your dress (we hope :lol: ).

If a person is complimentary, they are being nice and saying flattering things. If a thing is complimentary, it is a gift, or free. I only wish my shoes and dress were free!

Compliment:
noun
a polite expression of praise or admiration.
"she paid me an enormous compliment"
verb
politely congratulate or praise (someone) for something.
"he complimented Erica on her appearance"

Complimentary:
adjective
expressing a compliment; praising or approving.
"Jennie was very complimentary about Kathy's riding"

given or supplied free of charge.
"a complimentary bottle of wine"

Complement:
noun
a thing that completes or brings to perfection.
"the libretto proved a perfect complement to the music"
verb
add to (something) in a way that enhances or improves it; make perfect.
"a classic blazer complements a look that's stylish or casual"

Complementary:
adjective
completing something else or making it better : serving as a complement
  • She wore a new outfit with a complementary scarf.
used of two things when each adds something to the other or helps to make the other better
  • The print and online publications are complementary, not competitive.
  • The company owes its success to the complementary talents of its co-owners.
going together well : working well together
  • My spouse and I have complementary goals.
  • complementary flavors

(Source: Oxford Languages and Britannica, for both American and British English)

:btdh:
Just imagining the double error if someone wrote: "Enjoy a complementary bottle of wine if you have dinner in one of our fine dinning establishments."

When people say "piece" of mind instead of the correct, peace of mind. Why would someone want a piece of your mind?
Both are correct - it depends on what you mean, contextually.

Edit: Apologies if you specifically meant someone just using "piece of mind"... Just realised that.

Reactions: whateve