Which designer bags are ACTUALLY handmade?

It is awfully tough to sew leather without a machine. Are we saying that "handmade" bags are actually made by people with thimbles and needles? It would take extraordinary strength to do that! Many laypeople say they make their own bags (often fabric) by hand, but they still use a sewing machine.

Or am I misunderstanding what handmade means?

It's a good thread. What about BVLGARI handbags? At least their expensive bags over 3K, like "Twist"? :shrugs:
"Handmade" factor would make me more decisive...

Well this thread seems to make it quite clear why so many people can get away with saying handmade. And that is because it doesn't seem like there is a clear definition of what handmade is.

LOL!

There's 2 definitions, one leaves a little wiggle room IMO:
handmade
adjectivemade by hand or a hand process; "delicate handmade baby dresses" [ant: machine-made]

hand·made
premium.gif
thinsp.png
/ˈhændˈmeɪd/Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[hand-meyd]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective made by hand, rather than by machine: the luxury of handmade shoes.

It is awfully tough to sew leather without a machine. Are we saying that "handmade" bags are actually made by people with thimbles and needles? It would take extraordinary strength to do that! Many laypeople say they make their own bags (often fabric) by hand, but they still use a sewing machine.

Or am I misunderstanding what handmade means?

there are two ways to sew leather without a machine (see my pictures) 1 is for thin leathers using a saddlers palm and a glovers needle and 2 is for heavier leathers to use an awl with a diamond profile to pierce the holes first.

I always assumed, in regard to leather products, that handmade meant an actual person either hand-sewed or worked a sewing machine to make the bag, as opposed to mass-produced by machines in a factory line where no humans touch it during the assembly process.

I always assumed, in regard to leather products, that handmade meant an actual person either hand-sewed or worked a sewing machine to make the bag, as opposed to mass-produced by machines in a factory line where no humans touch it during the assembly process.

This is the definition I always followed. I "handmake" my own bags (fabric, not leather), but use a sewing machine. I think the automation involved in mass-producing bags is what excludes them from being handmade. The sewing machine does not eliminate the 'personal touch' in making a bag or quilt or clothes for my kids... these things are still "handmade" in my book, because I know the effort that goes into them. But this is just my opinion, maybe not the strict definition used by the forum...

LV has a little video on their website showing them making the bags. My impression was that some things were automated (maybe pre-cutting the leather?), but they show someone sewing a bag by hand.

^Yeah I saw that too so I got the impression that they made their own bags.
In the end, it's pretty much all about the brand. Even with the most expensive bags, it's never immaculate. We are paying mostly for the brand. I mean, the quality is good too of course, but bags that are dramatically cheaper can still be of good quality. These companies just jack up the price and market their products as if it's the finest and most exclusive, when in actually, they are still mass produced. Except of course the ones that were mentioned to be authentically hand-made and not just marketed as such.

So I finally just called LV and asked. I could not resist. The answer was that artisans use machines to create the bags. SOME pieces are hand sewn onto the bag. In other words, no, LV really is not handmade. They just want to give the appearance that it is. The lady was trying to make it clear to me that these artisans have to have a sepcial knowledge to run the machines. That still doesn't make it handmade.

Well, my sister is a quilter. She uses a machine to make wonderful masterpieces. It still takes alot of work and care to make something on a machine. This is different from mass production where human hands never touch the product. ;)

i noticed in the dictionary definition posted by swanky mama that it "by hand or a hand process". that covers it for me. the element of art and skill is what defines a handmade bag, even if there are some machines involved, i guess it come down to the process.