Which designer bags are ACTUALLY handmade?

I do think LV is made by very well trained artisans. There may be machines involved in the process, which is fine with me. I don't expect them to cut the leather with scissors or rip it with their bare hands, lol. I also don't think that a company has to eschew all technology created after 1900 in order to put out a quality product with a personal touch.

I have a book about handbags and there's a special section on Hermes bags, with pictures of a guy sewing a Kelly by hand. He actually punctures the leather with a hot needle to make small holes to stich the leather together - all by hand. I guess that's why they're so expensive.

Reactions: cecchetti
And yet you chose to click on it and spend time sending me a response. Since the convo is “dead,” no need to respond—silence would have gotten the message across. I originally took your response as friendly teasing, but your reply is making me think otherwise… I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that I’m wrong about your tone.

Besides, some people who were not around 16 yrs ago might want to revive the conversation and share thoughts.

Clearly, it’s still of interest if you’re still following it … ;)

And yet you chose to click on it and spend time sending me a response. Since the convo is “dead,” no need to respond—silence would have gotten the message across. I originally took your response as friendly teasing, but your reply is making me think otherwise… I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that I’m wrong about your tone.

Besides, some people who were not around 16 yrs ago might want to revive the conversation and share thoughts.
When you revive an ages-old thread, it bumps to "new threads" and is then highlighted to everyone.

There are actually multiple threads on this subject and if you've read guidelines for new members, you know that best practice is to search for a subject and join a contemporary discussion if possible.

This from you: I originally took your response as friendly teasing, but your reply is making me think otherwise… I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that I’m wrong about your tone.

I only responded once and briefly, that the thread was 16 years old, how can my "reply" make you think otherwise? :confused1: I didn't reply.....I think mods can handle any thread blending/etc. from here......

No matter if it's 16 years old, I'm still interested in the topic! :smile: It's crazy what some brands charge for machine made bags (especially Prada, which has many bags made in China!)

So Hermes, Joseph Duclos, Delvaux...any others? I feel like Chanel really ought to start making their bags by hand given the prices they're charging, but they know they can get away with the price increases without it

No matter if it's 16 years old, I'm still interested in the topic! :smile: It's crazy what some brands charge for machine made bags (especially Prada, which has many bags made in China!)

So Hermes, Joseph Duclos, Delvaux...any others? I feel like Chanel really ought to start making their bags by hand given the prices they're charging, but they know they can get away with the price increases without it
I’m interested too 😆

Reactions: bordeauxH

when we say XYZ brands do handmade bags, its good to remember that not ALL bags by these brands are made by hand, and very, very few are 100% handmade. Often some elements are handmade, for example in an Hermes Birkin the handles are handmade as is the top edge part of the bag. All the rest of the bag is machine stitched.
Joseph Duclos has a bag that 100% hand stitched - the Saint Clair, which is a little beauty & very special because its really a different type of make, not a regular saddle stitch. Their other models have some elements that are hand stitched like the handles.
as for Delvaux, some of their special « leather mastery » collection have some hand made elements, but not their regular collection. Plus the special bags are not 100% hand made.
We will all grow old waiting for Chanel to do handmade bags :lol:
But like you said, why should they when clients are happy to pay premium €$ the way it is !

when we say XYZ brands do handmade bags, its good to remember that not ALL bags by these brands are made by hand, and very, very few are 100% handmade. Often some elements are handmade, for example in an Hermes Birkin the handles are handmade as is the top edge part of the bag. All the rest of the bag is machine stitched.
Joseph Duclos has a bag that 100% hand stitched - the Saint Clair, which is a little beauty & very special because its really a different type of make, not a regular saddle stitch. Their other models have some elements that are hand stitched like the handles.
as for Delvaux, some of their special « leather mastery » collection have some hand made elements, but not their regular collection. Plus the special bags are not 100% hand made.
We will all grow old waiting for Chanel to do handmade bags :lol:
But like you said, why should they when clients are happy to pay premium €$ the way it is !
To clarify what I said, I dont think there’s anything wrong with machine stitching, as long as excellence of quality is maintained and the brand is transparent about it. the Birkin used to have a lot more handmade elements at one point but over time as the company grew and they had to keep pace with demand, they had to move to a more industrial level of making. Its just that prices dont always reflect the economy of scale achieved by shifting to mass production, but I guess clients are just happy to have a Birkin as it is !

Reactions: BalletDream
To clarify what I said, I dont think there’s anything wrong with machine stitching, as long as excellence of quality is maintained and the brand is transparent about it. the Birkin used to have a lot more handmade elements at one point but over time as the company grew and they had to keep pace with demand, they had to move to a more industrial level of making. It’s just that prices dont always reflect the economy of scale achieved by shifting to mass production, but I guess clients are just happy to have a Birkin as it is !
❤️

Last edited:
you know that best practice is to search for a subject and join a contemporary discussion if possible.
most of us agree with @QuelleFromage as to best practice (for those who do not know, search function is top right magnifying glass icon). At any rate, it Is best for members not to take offense to simple statement of fact.
Hermes, Joseph Duclos, Delvaux...any others?
This is covered more extensively here (click this link) https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/what-brand-is-comparable-to-hermes-quality.1029808/
A few of us really adore the hand stitched bags by Duret, see this thread https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/duret-bag.1040839/ started by @Tasha1
when we say XYZ brands do handmade bags, its good to remember that not ALL bags by these brands are made by hand, and very, very few are 100% handmade
Agree (if any newcomer is interested, I find it useful to search hand stitched bag under the TPF member name @Christofle
who has posted in great de5ail about this topic
I dont think there’s anything wrong with machine stitching
Agree with this. Its a different aesthetic than hand stitch or saddle stitch

Reactions: cecchetti