Which color would you pick-Etain or Vert Cypress?

Which color would you pick for a Kelly 28 in Togo GHW? Prices and conditions are similar

• Etain

Votes: 78 49.7%
  • Vert Cypress

Votes: 79 50.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

poppylove

Feb 19, 2013
I love both colors and can't decide which one to go for. If there is any reason for your choice, for example, if one holds value better than the other or anything else, please let me know. Thanks all.

They’re so different… are you looking for more of a neutral gray or an interesting green? I’ve never met a gray I didn’t like so I would personally choose etain for the versatility. My etain GHW Evie looks good with most colors I wear.

This is quite the predicament. If this will be your first Hermès bag, I would opt for Étain. Étain is lovely in that it is both neutral and classic (a little over a decade old). But on the other hand, Vert Cyprès is an amazing, fresh chameleon colour that can range in hue from green to grey to blue. That aspect alone would make it quite versatile in a wardrobe.

If you are concerned with resale value, green shades are very popular right now in fashion and design. However, this trend could end at any moment, which may lead to a devaluation of Vert Cyprès bags. Grey is timeless, though. So, based on that criterion, I suppose I would chose Étain.

I love both colors and can't decide which one to go for. If there is any reason for your choice, for example, if one holds value better than the other or anything else, please let me know. Thanks all.
Thanks for all your opinions. If anyone happen to have both colors, can you include a picture please?

I only have Etain. It's a great warm neutral grey that works better (on me) than the muddy colours of other grey-browns or brown-greys.

Etain nor VC will ever be in the most desirable range, but they'll both always be saleable because they're not.

NB I would never buy a bag based on what the resale value may be. Before I joined tPF Blue-Jean had been all the rage, now they're way down on the resale market along with most browns (I love browns) then Bleu Brighton croc were all the rage, then anything bright red, Sakura's popular but may go next.

I'm partial to etain because I have a K25 in etain and the colour is amazing. With ghw, it is more of a warm tone. With phw, it appears more as a cool grey. I rembered being offered a bag in vert cypress before and there's certainly more green than grey. It's a beautiful colour too but etain is more neutral to me.

Reactions: poppylove
They’re both beautiful. I love how much a chameleon vert cypress is as @r luvs h said. I agree with the statement above that if it’s your first kelly, go with etain.

I would also decide based on how you plan on using the bag. If you’re going to use it as a daily, casual bag, I’d just choose etain. If you’re going to use it in rotation as a statement piece, I’ll go for vert cypress. Not that you can’t use vert cypress daily but etain to me is a bit more versatile than vert cypress.

Depends on your wardrobe; what bags you already own; and whether you would like a neutral or a pop of saturated color.
IMO vert cypress with gold hw falls on the conservative end of classic. Etain ghw, a bit more classic than conservative.

I have a Kelly in VC Togo (GHW) and I love that color. Seems to work with everything and is just green enough to be seasonless. To me it is one of the newer colors that has really been embraced by H lovers, kind of a new classic.

Étain is one of those forever H colors and is a lovely, pretty much perfect, grey when you get the right dye lot. Since it sounds like you're buying at resale, you can see what you are getting, which is a blessing with this color. If it is a clean dark grey, then that is a very versatile bag.

If it were me, I'd buy the VC because it's a bit more interesting, but if you don't love green, it's not for you.

I never really understand the "holds its value" question, because buying a bag in the current market while already thinking about resale is an iffy proposition, and no one can predict what people in the next decade will want.

Good luck!

I have a Kelly in VC Togo (GHW) and I love that color. Seems to work with everything and is just green enough to be seasonless. To me it is one of the newer colors that has really been embraced by H lovers, kind of a new classic.

Étain is one of those forever H colors and is a lovely, pretty much perfect, grey when you get the right dye lot. Since it sounds like you're buying at resale, you can see what you are getting, which is a blessing with this color. If it is a clean dark grey, then that is a very versatile bag.

If it were me, I'd buy the VC because it's a bit more interesting, but if you don't love green, it's not for you.

I never really understand the "holds its value" question, because buying a bag in the current market while already thinking about resale is an iffy proposition, and no one can predict what people in the next decade will want.

Good luck!
Literally everything QuelleFromage said. I went through a serious grey phase and have 4 bags in different greys from Dior and Chanel. They are my least used colors.

i have a Kelly in VC Clemence PH and love the color. It goes with most of my wardrobe and provides more interest than a grey bag.

I’ve learned that what I like to look at in pictures or on other people is not the same as what looks good on me, serves my needs or makes me happy. This goes for colors, shapes, and sizes :smile:.

Resale value is of no interest to me. I consider it lost money if the bag simply sits on a shelf and I don’t use it often. I need to maintain the bag, provide space and take the risk of damage/loss that any per chance resale later on is already a loss.