Where to buy nice ruby,, sapphires or emerald jewelry?

May 16, 2020
Where do you suggest looking for nice quality ruby, sapphire or emerald jewelry? Does not need to be untreated but have a nice glow and not too dark.
Would of course love to see pictures as well.

or one‘s local, independent jeweler with whom one hopefully has a longstanding relationship
Thank you for these links, definitely no reliable local jewelers here unfortunately.

I love Wharfedale Antiques in England - I purchased the sapphire ring in my avatar picture from them, and it was a wonderful experience.

Happy shopping! :smile:
Oh wow your sapphire is beautiful! It's the perfect shade

I had dinner with my college roommate when I was visiting Chicago recently and she mentioned coming to Miami in January for some big jewelry show one of her colleagues attends every year. I don't know much about it but maybe worth looking into?
Oh that's really good information to have

I think @BigAkoya knows a great deal about jewelry shows so m tagging her here :smile:
Thank you!

• Thanks
Reactions: Deneuveness
Finding someone you trust helps if you have to buy sight unseen (not that I have much, struggle with colour, diamonds and pearls are so much easier to wear).

Rubies and emeralds are so hard to photograph/video. I don't think I've managed to come close to photographing what I have to look like it does in real life. They are Burmese and do glow which I love.

I had a lovely deep blue 3ct sapphire ring but that is gone. Will get another one day.

Still waiting on items to be sourced for the loose stones but the pictured ring is all I currently have ruby/emerald/sapphire wise that is set. I'm sure there are members here with lovely collections, and I'm keeping an eye on this thread!

Attachments

• Burmese & natural diamonds.jpg
    Burmese & natural diamonds.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Ring 1.jpg
    Ring 1.jpg
    335.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Ring 2.jpg
    Ring 2.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Ring 3.jpg
    Ring 3.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Ring 4.jpg
    Ring 4.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Columbian.jpg
    Columbian.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 71
sorry, I missread the title.

Gübelin would be my recommendation.

I'll insert my former answer nevertheless:

I also always buy the loose gemstones because I collect them.

It really depends on where you live, in Europe there are a few suppliers who are trustworthy and charge fair prices.

In general, I would go to a gemstone fair if the distance is feasible for you. The fairs are usually open to trade visitors for the first few days and then to the general public.

At gemstone fairs, you can get a good overview of the prices, get expert advice from the dealers and bargain. Here you can also get a gemological appraisal free of charge if the dealer doesn't offer it (which would make me suspicious). But you have to make sure that gemstones really are on offer, there are plenty of gemstone fairs that offer semi-precious stones etc. or are aimed more at the esoterically interested public.

A good hint is when Katherina Perez was there ;) Edit: that applies to jewelers, too!

My approach would be to find out more about the stone I want to buy next (where it is mined, what mines are known, which cutting shops are known), then see which appraisals are state of the art for this gemstone and then look specifically for dealers.

Another way would be to ask Gübelin if they can offer you something, but of course they have a corresponding surcharge.

I had dinner with my college roommate when I was visiting Chicago recently and she mentioned coming to Miami in January for some big jewelry show one of her colleagues attends every year. I don't know much about it but maybe worth looking into?
Hi! I have been to the January jewelry show, it is wonderful, but it is open to the trade only unfortunately. I manage to get in through my in-laws who were in the jewelry business for many years

Hi! I have been to the January jewelry show, it is wonderful, but it is open to the trade only unfortunately. I manage to get in through my in-laws who were in the jewelry business for many years
I wonder if this is a different show as my friend made it seem like anyone can attend. She is an attorney and definitely not in the industry (unless same show with an "in" I am unaware of).

Reactions: A bottle of Red
Thanks for the clarification!
I confirmed the event is in fact open to the public. You can purchase a consumer ticket good for the 5 day event for $40. I believe the price is going up to $50 in January. My friend obtained a promo code her colleague had obtained so I just scored 2 tickets for free. I'm really going mainly to spend time with her but sounds like event should be interesting so I'm looking forward to it. Just hoping I won't be too tempted to spend $$$ LOL

Info about this event here:

Last edited: