Where to buy nice ruby,, sapphires or emerald jewelry?

I confirmed the event is in fact open to the public. You can purchase a consumer ticket good for the 5 day event for $40. I believe the price is going up to $50 in January. My friend obtained a promo code her colleague had obtained so I just scored 2 tickets for free. I'm really going mainly to spend time with her but sounds like event should be interesting so I'm looking forward to it. Just hoping I won't be too tempted to spend $$$ LOL

Info about this event here:

Oooh that sounds lovely enjoy! And have me in mind since I doubt I'll be able to go

I confirmed the event is in fact open to the public. You can purchase a consumer ticket good for the 5 day event for $40. I believe the price is going up to $50 in January. My friend obtained a promo code her colleague had obtained so I just scored 2 tickets for free. I'm really going mainly to spend time with her but sounds like event should be interesting so I'm looking forward to it. Just hoping I won't be too tempted to spend $$$ LOL

Info about this event here:

Please do update us on what they have!

I think the one I have been to is at the Miami Beach Convention Center- it’s called the Jewlers international Showcase or JIS show and that is private and free for jewelers

Reactions: A bottle of Red
Please do update us on what they have!

I think the one I have been to is at the Miami Beach Convention Center- it’s called the Jewlers international Showcase or JIS show and that is private and free for jewelers
I think this is also at the Miami Beach convention center. I think my friend is coming the entire time (she lives in Chicago). I will probably just go over the weekend. Will let you know how it is!

Oooh that sounds lovely enjoy! And have me in mind since I doubt I'll be able to go
Hi! We attended the antique and jewelry show the past 2 days and I think you would have enjoyed it. Definitely a good place to see alot of high end and unique things at all price points in one place. They even had a handful of vendors selling handbags (Hermes, Chanel, etc). I thought of you bc they had your tiffany blue peekaboo (which I would have purchased had I not gotten the Tiffany baguette). Found a chanel 22 but not in the colour I want. Had no intention of buying anything but unexpectedly did a bit of damage on a ring and necklace and am trying to figure out how to make a piece of furniture I don't need but can't live without work. My friend came from chicago with a few friends and they were snatching things up left and right. My daughter was a bit bored but all in all, it was a fun experience. Not crowded or crazy at all like Art Basel (which takes place at same venue). I know you had a bad experience with Tiffany & Co. but if you recover from that and are still on the hunt for precious stone jewelry (name brand or not) this would be a great opportunity for you to view and try on a number of things in person from hundreds of different jewelers from all over that you wouldn't otherwise have exposure to. One mentioned to me that they're attending another similar show in West palm beach next month (I think he said it started Feb 15) but I am not sure how big that show is compared to this one. Hope that helps!

Just attended the jewelry show at West palm beach convention center Tuesday and it was fantastic. Definitely smaller than the one in Miami but felt they had a great variety and more unique and vintage finds. Also had art and fewer antiques. Tried on some really fun pieces e.g. $500k Bvlgari necklace and $125k Bvlgari watch. They even has $21MM necklace (100 ct diamond). Managed to escape without purchasing anything but did get a few business cards. Thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely attend next year. Definitely recommend if you're in the area or want a weekend getaway to Palm Beach!

Just attended the jewelry show at West palm beach convention center Tuesday and it was fantastic. Definitely smaller than the one in Miami but felt they had a great variety and more unique and vintage finds. Also had art and fewer antiques. Tried on some really fun pieces e.g. $500k Bvlgari necklace and $125k Bvlgari watch. They even has $21MM necklace (100 ct diamond). Managed to escape without purchasing anything but did get a few business cards. Thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely attend next year. Definitely recommend if you're in the area or want a weekend getaway to Palm Beach!
Idk how I missed this but it sounds amazing! 🤩

If you're open to online sellers, I really like George / Muzo Emeralds on IG for colombian emeralds. He travels to the US (I think he's American but is based in Colombia now) sometimes so you can probably sync up with him to view stones that are of interest to you.

His stuff ranges from 4 figures (steadily climbing now lol) to 6 figure items, and he's very honest.

Rubies / Sapphires - Idk of any reasonable close to source like George. There are a lot of Sri Lankan dealers out there on IG, they do ship internationally and sometimes they will visit HK / SG / BKK. Some of them are probably trustworthy but I have not used them as I do not like the idea of wiring 4 or 5 or even 6 figure sums to Sri Lanka, period.

If you're open to preloved / more than just ruby / sapphire / emerald stones in the US, I can give you a few names that I've bought from or have heard are very trustworthy?

Oh, and do note that if you're buying online, colours often do not show up well:

- fine colombian emeralds tend to look terrible
- blue stones tend to be enhanced and always look better than in the real
- ask for photos in multiple lighting conditions, as vendors will often show the best (and best is usually in bright sunlight)
- if buying rubies, be aware that yellow background and yellow lighting tend to make rubies look better

Oh, and do note that if you're buying online, colours often do not show up well:

- fine colombian emeralds tend to look terrible
- blue stones tend to be enhanced and always look better than in the real
- ask for photos in multiple lighting conditions, as vendors will often show the best (and best is usually in bright sunlight)
- if buying rubies, be aware that yellow background and yellow lighting tend to make rubies look better
That's really important to know thank you

If you're open to online sellers, I really like George / Muzo Emeralds on IG for colombian emeralds. He travels to the US (I think he's American but is based in Colombia now) sometimes so you can probably sync up with him to view stones that are of interest to you.

His stuff ranges from 4 figures (steadily climbing now lol) to 6 figure items, and he's very honest.

Rubies / Sapphires - Idk of any reasonable close to source like George. There are a lot of Sri Lankan dealers out there on IG, they do ship internationally and sometimes they will visit HK / SG / BKK. Some of them are probably trustworthy but I have not used them as I do not like the idea of wiring 4 or 5 or even 6 figure sums to Sri Lanka, period.

If you're open to preloved / more than just ruby / sapphire / emerald stones in the US, I can give you a few names that I've bought from or have heard are very trustworthy?
Thank you for your helpful info!

I would be interested in your Preloved/other stone sources who you would recommend. Thank you!

Reactions: Kfka_btsea
Sure! The vendors below are all US based. Hopefully it means that you can view the stones before purchasing, or arrange to purchase with a return option available.

I also like Alex & Lauren at PremierGems on IG, who are also US based. They seems to mainly do tanzanites (great substitute for sapphire imho, if you get the blue-leaning ones instead of purple. However be aware that tanzanite is alot softer, would not recommend it for rings or bracelets), diamonds and garnets. They also have the occasional ruby and sapphire.
  • I started buying tanzanites from Alex because I couldn't find any sapphires that satisfied me irl... including 5 figure items. If you're not as picky as I am, maybe you don't need to.
  • Iirc, he may have stopped accepting Paypal because too many people frauded them :sad:
    • I've wired a 5 figure sum to Alex by now, w/o recourse cuz I'm intl. So I really trust him, but pls do your due diligence
  • Alex's prices are very reasonable. His stones have always looked as good as promised, allowing for some inevitable camera issues and also for certain gems like spinels and garnets which tend to shift colours in different lighting
  • Alex has great diamond deals, however, I want to highlight that there's often a reason. Eg. I've seen him sell a GIA D VS1 3ct for under 30k before... the catch was that it had moderate or strong blue fluorescence, and fluro wrecks the prices of high colour diamond.
    • Alex does disclose the fluorescence, tho obviously he's not going to point out the effect of fluoro on prices
    • I'm not sure how familiar you are with diamond pricing and want you to be aware in case you want to resell in the future
    • FWIW it really still was a great deal and I would've bought it had it not sold out
I've never bought from Ivy & Rose in Chicago but heard lots of good things about them and have seen them source large fine rubies for others before. I don't think they have a ready inventory but you can ask them to keep a look out for you. They were very friendly when I emailed them. They also have generally decent prices on preloved items and sometimes have insane deals on vintage jewelry

I've also never bought from Dolly at Xothebijouxbox on IG, but she's super friendly and she's a star at finding things that look great for less. Usually preloved. She's also US based and seems to be extremely reputable

I KIV a couple of others but haven't seen enough datapoints to be convinced and so am not recommending them yet.

I also just want to throw out a warning - there is a particular NYC jeweler who is being feted as some champion sourcer of rubies and sapphires.
  • Imho they are a champion sourcer only because they charge ridiculous premiums (no **** that alot more money = access to anything you want + a nice fat margin for them). I think their goods are legit but they are waaaaay overpriced.
  • I've also seen an occasional report here and there of terrible customer service.
  • I'm not naming them because they have a couple of extremely rabid fans who will attack anyone who dares suggest that they're anything but perfect.
  • Eg. the report of terrible customer service was deleted after said rabid fans went psychotic on the poster (not on this forum)
  • That being said, you'll know who it is if you do your homework and realise that someone in NYC is charging way more than other vendors for the same quality

Last edited:
Just had another thought for rubies... I've heard of this vendor having decent prices and being trustworthy: https://www.starlanka.com/

However, their photos are extremely terrible, so it might not be easy for a new buyer to navigate. You could always try emailing them.

Note that for everything expensive, whether you're buying from a B&M or George or Alex or someone else, insist on a report from a trustworthy lab. If it's > 4k they should definitely get you a proper lab report.

Sure! The vendors below are all US based. Hopefully it means that you can view the stones before purchasing, or arrange to purchase with a return option available.

I also like Alex & Lauren at PremierGems on IG, who are also US based. They seems to mainly do tanzanites (great substitute for sapphire imho, if you get the blue-leaning ones instead of purple. However be aware that tanzanite is alot softer, would not recommend it for rings or bracelets), diamonds and garnets. They also have the occasional ruby and sapphire.
  • I started buying tanzanites from Alex because I couldn't find any sapphires that satisfied me irl... including 5 figure items. If you're not as picky as I am, maybe you don't need to.
  • Iirc, he may have stopped accepting Paypal because too many people frauded them :sad:
    • I've wired a 5 figure sum to Alex by now, w/o recourse cuz I'm intl. So I really trust him, but pls do your due diligence
  • Alex's prices are very reasonable. His stones have always looked as good as promised, allowing for some inevitable camera issues and also for certain gems like spinels and garnets which tend to shift colours in different lighting
  • Alex has great diamond deals, however, I want to highlight that there's often a reason. Eg. I've seen him sell a GIA D VS1 3ct for under 30k before... the catch was that it had moderate or strong blue fluorescence, and fluro wrecks the prices of high colour diamond.
    • Alex does disclose the fluorescence, tho obviously he's not going to point out the effect of fluoro on prices
    • I'm not sure how familiar you are with diamond pricing and want you to be aware in case you want to resell in the future
    • FWIW it really still was a great deal and I would've bought it had it not sold out
I've never bought from Ivy & Rose in Chicago but heard lots of good things about them and have seen them source large fine rubies for others before. I don't think they have a ready inventory but you can ask them to keep a look out for you. They were very friendly when I emailed them. They also have generally decent prices on preloved items and sometimes have insane deals on vintage jewelry

I've also never bought from Dolly at Xothebijouxbox on IG, but she's super friendly and she's a star at finding things that look great for less. Usually preloved. She's also US based and seems to be extremely reputable

I KIV a couple of others but haven't seen enough datapoints to be convinced and so am not recommending them yet.

I also just want to throw out a warning - there is a particular NYC jeweler who is being feted as some champion sourcer of rubies and sapphires.
  • Imho they are a champion sourcer only because they charge ridiculous premiums (no **** that alot more money = access to anything you want + a nice fat margin for them). I think their goods are legit but they are waaaaay overpriced.
  • I've also seen an occasional report here and there of terrible customer service.
  • I'm not naming them because they have a couple of extremely rabid fans who will attack anyone who dares suggest that they're anything but perfect.
  • Eg. the report of terrible customer service was deleted after said rabid fans went psychotic on the poster (not on this forum)
  • That being said, you'll know who it is if you do your homework and realise that someone in NYC is charging way more than other vendors for the same quality
Thank you very much. Surprisingly enough, I have purchased from all of these vendors, and generally have good things to say about them as well. Regarding Dolly; FWIW, I believe she is honest about her stone and metal specs, and she provides fine pricing, but I do find her presentation a little bit disingenuous because I know for a fact that many of her items she purchases from The RealReal (because they are items I am waiting to buy when then go off hold…they sell…and then show up on her IG, with stories implying they are sourced from some secret back door gem dealer or antique treasure trove). I think she is very nice and honest about the specs of her pieces, but that just kind of turned me off from buying from her.

• Thanks
  • Insightful
Reactions: Meta and limom
many of her items she purchases from The RealReal (because they are items I am waiting to buy when then go off hold…they sell…and then show up on her IG

:amazed: Wowza! I had no idea haha.

I guess sourcing is a highly competitive process for estate / 2nd hand dealers

Would love hearing other sources that you have as well!

I think once I find a vendor that I trust, I tend to stick to them. Though lately with insane price increases, I've been hunting in the 2nd hand market.

Reactions: nicole0612
:amazed: Wowza! I had no idea haha.

I guess sourcing is a highly competitive process for estate / 2nd hand dealers

Would love hearing other sources that you have as well!

I think once I find a vendor that I trust, I tend to stick to them. Though lately with insane price increases, I've been hunting in the 2nd hand market.
Absolutely!

I used to shop from Sin City Finds a lot, but then she got really popular and even if I send her a message seconds after she posts, the piece has sold, so I gave up, but she is very nice. I really like KnoxJewels, she has a smaller selection but can source items and she is a gem of a human being, the Vintage Jeweler (UK), Ishy Antiques (UK).