Where do you get your cashmere?

I can second vintage Ballantyne....they also used to carry 100% Vicuña items which can be rather hard to find (at least heavier knits and felts) lately from high end brands. I’m looking forward to seeing Loro Piana’s pastel vicuña in boutiques and curious if the white threads run similarly to the natural orange “red camel” tones from the vicuña we usually see.

I mostly buy from Loro Piana because their quality is consistent and I like their newer styles (a little more fashionable for me), although my favourite everyday cashmere items are from Manrico Cashmere. If you are buying pre-owned, keep in mind MC knits over the years were not consistent, some are their signature double knitted/locking knit fabric and others a more standard looser cashmere knit.

The “supercashmere” knit is my favourite because it washes so well and stays new looking with little shrink or stretch. Loro Piana’s “Fairmount” silk cashmere blend track pants remind me of this knit a little, though I haven’t found an LP knit with 100% cashmere like this. They do pill as most tight heavy knits like that do but the pills are easy to remove and render good as new.

I also love Cruciani for their newer styles and not so much for their older styles. If I go for an affordable brand like Naadam then I try to choose blends because their quality is not great, inconsistent fiber lengths and they warp easier, making it difficult to wash. A lower quality cashmere and silk blend can turn into a lasting and high end feeling knit. Imo, most quality cashmere in basic styles should be machine washable and not leave lint, with a few exceptions such as LP Baby Cashmere fabrics that are intended to be dry cleaned for their light weight and shorter fibers.

Some other brands I buy: Agnona (because it’s available in stores here and reminds me of some older Cruciani), Hermes (also for consistency, availability, and plenty of heavier knits and coat felts), The Row, Brunello Cucinelli. Recently I bought some vintage Ralph Lauren black label I loved, not sure what their more current items are like. I would love to try more smaller brands.

And if anyone is also a Manrico Cashmere double knit fan I would love to hear their other favourites!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JamaisAssez
I have to preface this with saying I am a complete cashmere you-know-what. Like, crazy cat lady status. Think David from Schitt's Creek. I prioritize my cashmeres over handbags or shoes. It plays an enormous part of my personal style.

My vintage sweaters I inherited from my grandfather have held up the best and are of the best quality - mostly Ballantyne and Johnstons of Elgin. I'm not sure how old they could be... anywhere from thirty to forty years old. They are all oversized v-necks and I live in them at home so some of them had to be patched up at the elbows but I still cherish them.

Because it gets brought up a lot, I have one Brunello Cucinelli. One of the hand knit opera sweaters in beige - very Scandinavian. It is stunning and timeless so of course I'm afraid to wear it too often haha. It is definitely my nice-nicest cashmere piece. I swear it thinks it's better than me.

I have quite a bit of cashmere from contemporary brands/designers my favorites being:

Khaite - We all know the one. I adore the barley color and picked up several styles in that color including the iconic cardigan set. I have the cardigan set in three other colors that I mix and match (black, camel, smoke as well as the barley altogether). At the moment I'm obsessed with incorporating different colored lacy bralettes underneath the knit bra.

Le Kasha - I find I favor the unique styles in safe, neutral colors from this brand. A boucle sweater that looks and feels like a cloud. A half zip with oversized, cable knit sleeves. My favorite at the moment is a backless turtleneck.

Rick Owens - I've collected a bunch of thin cashmere "shirt sweaters" from RO. They are amazing layering pieces although they can be very delicate. The cool thing about RO though is you can kind of lean into the eventual destruction. A hole or two somehow makes the piece cooler and more Rick Owen-sy? Kind of like a good pair of jeans that "earned" its holes at the knee. I would normally try to fix any flaws in any other sweater but with these it feels right that they get worn out over time.

Sablyn - Great variety of colors and cool, trendy styles. Quality can be admittedly spotty. Some sweaters only need one shave while others I'm shaving after every wear. I still love and keep up with this brand but I would probably only buy more on sale to be honest.

My thoughts on some "mall" brands:

Zara - Perhaps shockingly, I'm quite happy with the cashmere pieces I have picked up from Zara. The quality is better than I expected but I tend to stick to the more unique or limited edition stuff rather than the basics. An oversized hoodie dress, a circle skirt, the underwear (!) are the stand out hits for me. I would not send someone to Zara just for the cashmere though.

JCrew - I had a couple items from the "JCrew Collection" years that seem to have ended. They're okay (both cardigans) - the one from the men's collection has held up much better (go figure). Everything from the regular line I have ever bought over the years are no longer in my closet. I would never recommend this brand for cashmere, especially full price. I'm sorry.

Eric Bompard - I don't know if this is a mall brand technically. I hear a lot of good things but EB is also a mixed bag for me. I hated the sweaters I got from there but I love the two blanket scarves I still have. I found the sweaters itchy and stiff. I love the color selection and they have a great variety of basics. I still love perusing the catalog. Just not for me.

Speaking of blanket scarves.... Denis Colomb and Ann Demeulemeester make my favorites.

There are a few other brands I could harp on about (Gabriela Hearst, Rag & Bone, Donna Karan, TSE) but this post is too long anyway. Basically, the aforementioned brands/designers range from good-great in my very limited experience but I don't know enough to generalize fairly.

I don't have many cashmere pieces but vintage is where it's at. I know a few people have said 'No' to Neiman Marcus, but I scored a vintage cashmere sweater a few years back for $20 with Neiman Marcus label, 'Made in Scotland' and it's arguably the best I have.

Newer cashmeres? I have a Theory one, which isn't all that enjoyable to wear because it pills easily (I think it's 'Made in China') but it hasn't torn or ripped. &daughter is nice, pills a bit more than my vintage one but not nearly as much as Theory.

Reactions: platanoparty
I agree J crew cashmere does not hold up. I do love the boyfriend style v neck but after a couple wears it has pills and even thin spots.
Doubtful it will last another season. Can anyone recommend a similar style from another brand? I don't want to go the vintage route.

I would stick to LP as my favorite, but agree that sometimes no-names can be extremely good for a ridiculously low price. Also I sometimes use my cashmere bedding piece from Pratesi as a warm shawl - haha

Reactions: thelilachour
I have to preface this with saying I am a complete cashmere you-know-what. Like, crazy cat lady status. Think David from Schitt's Creek. I prioritize my cashmeres over handbags or shoes. It plays an enormous part of my personal style.

My vintage sweaters I inherited from my grandfather have held up the best and are of the best quality - mostly Ballantyne and Johnstons of Elgin. I'm not sure how old they could be... anywhere from thirty to forty years old. They are all oversized v-necks and I live in them at home so some of them had to be patched up at the elbows but I still cherish them.

Because it gets brought up a lot, I have one Brunello Cucinelli. One of the hand knit opera sweaters in beige - very Scandinavian. It is stunning and timeless so of course I'm afraid to wear it too often haha. It is definitely my nice-nicest cashmere piece. I swear it thinks it's better than me.

I have quite a bit of cashmere from contemporary brands/designers my favorites being:

Khaite - We all know the one. I adore the barley color and picked up several styles in that color including the iconic cardigan set. I have the cardigan set in three other colors that I mix and match (black, camel, smoke as well as the barley altogether). At the moment I'm obsessed with incorporating different colored lacy bralettes underneath the knit bra.

Le Kasha - I find I favor the unique styles in safe, neutral colors from this brand. A boucle sweater that looks and feels like a cloud. A half zip with oversized, cable knit sleeves. My favorite at the moment is a backless turtleneck.

Rick Owens - I've collected a bunch of thin cashmere "shirt sweaters" from RO. They are amazing layering pieces although they can be very delicate. The cool thing about RO though is you can kind of lean into the eventual destruction. A hole or two somehow makes the piece cooler and more Rick Owen-sy? Kind of like a good pair of jeans that "earned" its holes at the knee. I would normally try to fix any flaws in any other sweater but with these it feels right that they get worn out over time.

Sablyn - Great variety of colors and cool, trendy styles. Quality can be admittedly spotty. Some sweaters only need one shave while others I'm shaving after every wear. I still love and keep up with this brand but I would probably only buy more on sale to be honest.

Zara - Perhaps shockingly, I'm quite happy with the cashmere pieces I have picked up from Zara. The quality is better than I expected but I tend to stick to the more unique or limited edition stuff rather than the basics. An oversized hoodie dress, a circle skirt, the underwear (!) are the stand out hits for me. I would not send someone to Zara just for the cashmere though.

JCrew - I had a couple items from the "JCrew Collection" years that seem to have ended. They're okay (both cardigans) - the one from the men's collection has held up much better (go figure). Everything from the regular line I have ever bought over the years are no longer in my closet. I would never recommend this brand for cashmere, especially full price. I'm sorry.

Eric Bompard - I don't know if this is a mall brand technically. I hear a lot of good things but EB is also a mixed bag for me. I hated the sweaters I got from there but I love the two blanket scarves I still have. I found the sweaters itchy and stiff. I love the color selection and they have a great variety of basics. I still love perusing the catalog. Just not for me.

Speaking of blanket scarves.... Denis Colomb and Ann Demeulemeester make my favorites.

There are a few other brands I could harp on about (Gabriela Hearst, Rag & Bone, Donna Karan, TSE) but this post is too long anyway. Basically, the aforementioned brands/designers range from good-great in my very limited experience but I don't know enough to generalize fairly.
Thank you for your insight! What do you think about Loro Piana cashmere?

I’m taking notes on this post above.

i wear old ones from my moms closet (from Scotland etc) they are fabulous, do not pill, wear like iron.

i wear brunello which I think is more flattering a fit than LP. But not the super expensive opera ones which make me look like a short, chunky, furry animal

i have a few chanel cardigans that are amazing (not the oversized logo ones, but the close fitted ones that could stand in for a jacket)

I like Hermes silk cashmere cardigans and turnbull & Asser older, zip, hoodie cardigans

for budget friendly, hard wearing sweaters, I like the mens collection from John Smedley, but there i prefer merino wool

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: JamaisAssez
Forgot to add Manrico and Malo cashmere. I don’t even know if they are still around, but they used to be on Madison Avenue and go on Sale. I remember Manrico as being thinner and more fashionable and more flattering. I remember Malo as being of higher quality, more expensive, and more classic in styling.

I buy cashmere when it’s on sale from Intermix or Billy Reid. I have some cashmere pieces I bought from designers like Vince from Rue La La.

My current obsession are two pairs of cashmere short shorts I bought on super sale from Intermix. I would never pay full price for cashmere shorts but oh man, do I enjoy them. I wear them with nicer blouses for my Zoom calls but the cashmere elevates things so I still look nice on my dog walks.

Last edited:
The “supercashmere” knit is my favourite because it washes so well and stays new looking with little shrink or stretch.

Thank you for your insights, @thelilachour. I've never heard of Manrico's supercashmere and would love to check it out - it doesn't seem to be available commercially anymore.

I love your preface, @kjohn138. I am the same way with cashmere, it is an essential part of my wardrobe. I keep a spreadsheet of my knitwear and did an inventory count over the weekend to find I have over 80 jumpers, most of which is cashmere. Yes I'm crazy.

Having read extensively on cashmere, I can confirm that fibre quality has been on a steady decline for years. As a result most cashmere we find on the market nowadays are hardly stuff that lasts, especially knitwear from high street brands. Of course, there are exceptions: most agree on this forum that Vince cashmere is nothing to rave about, however a 100% navy cashmere henley I bought from their Woodbury Commons outlet in 2012 has never, ever pilled and has retained its shape after having gone through handwashing and machine washing many times. This cashmere henley is not the softest when worn directly on skin, but I'm really, really surprised about its durability, which I suspect has to do with them using long staple fibres in that particular batch during production. Price? 70 USD.

Regarding consistency, some of my Loro Piana baby cashmere jumpers pill, and some do not. This is where it gets tricky: while baby cashmere has incomparable softness, the fibres are typically shorter than those gathered from adult cashmere goats, which means that baby cashmere tends to pill more. Baby cashmere is gathered from kid goats aged 3 to 12 months, so of course their fibres are more delicate. It takes the fleece of 2 adult goats to make a basic cashmere crewneck, or 19 kid goats to make the same jumper in baby cashmere.

An ideal cashmere jumper would be soft and durable, which means the fibres used are both thin and long. The cream of the crop is dubbed 14/36: fibres measuring 14 to 14.5 microns in thinness and 36 mm in length. These numbers may mean nothing to the average consumer, but keep in mind that the 2020 cashmere production output from the Alashan region of Inner Mongolia - considered the best region to raise cashmere goats by the industry - is around 1,500 tons. Of this, only 2 tons is qualified "14/36". And I'll bet you that only Loro Piana, Brunello Cucinelli and the Chinese government have monopoly over this good stuff.

Loro Piana is the only company in the world who has collaborated with the Chinese government to develop a method of selective breeding which has resulted in dramatic improvement in cashmere quality. Given the desertfication of Mongolia and the pressure for more and more goats to be raised due to increased global demand, LP's quality over quantity approach is actually quite sustainable.

For any discerning reader who has bothered to read my entire post, bravo. When it comes to cashmere, go for the best your money can buy and avoid the commonly available cashmere like the plague. You really get what you pay for. And if you have the budget to go for vicuna, keep in mind that knitwear made from this precious fibre also tends to pill more than your regular cashmere sweater, their stable fibres being shorter.

I'm in the UK and I like Brora cashmere and have several cardigans and jumpers. Not keen on their gauzy stuff though - too thin/fine for me but that's just personal preference - it gets cold where I am, lol!
They've got very dear over the years, even in their sale and it's too rich for my blood at the minute unfortunately...:sad:
Marks and Spencer do very reasonably priced cashmere, more basic perhaps. I have a black jumper that I like from several years ago that has served me well.