When traveling, Cash or Traveler's Checks?

Debit cards rule just about everywhere these days -- check with your bank, as for most overseas locations you need a four digit (no more) pin. You might also want to look into an HSBC account for your trip -- they have a low minimum/no fee debit/savings category that works in many countries and you can set it up here.
Many banks will levy a currency conversion percentage but it's no more than you would lose on the exchange rate/traveler's checks. Tchecks are just not what they used to be -- generally the exchange rate is the worst -- we took some to Asia and ended up bringing almost all of them back.

I work for a bank and let me tell you, I will never use traveler's cheques again. They are too much of a pain. I had a customer buy 3000 dollars in cheques and when he came back from his trip he chashed 2000 in. They were in small denominations too. A serious pain in the butt.

Mostly cash and credit, and a few travellers checks, which we've never used. More and more places are refusing to take them overseas. Your credit card will get you the absolute best exchange rate, so use that wherever possible! Have a great trip!

Hi I only take cash and credit cards, I find that Travellers cheques are a lot of hassle because I think I had to carry my passport to cash them, I hate carrying my passport around!Lol!!x

I take cash. My first couple of holidays abroad I took travellers cheques but it was so much hassle trying to find somewhere to cash them. Plus getting a good rate for them. My boyf normally takes his CC too for the big purchases. Some CC have that protection for when you buy in a diff country too.

It's not always true that credit cards give you the best rate. Actually, some credit cards are now levying an exchange fee. All of my foreign friends say taking money out of the ATM gets you the best exchange rate.

I use a credit card and an ATM card, but you should check with your credit card companies and use the card that has the lowest (or no) fee for using it in a foreign country.

I take a debit card, credit cards and usually a bit of cash (unless I hit the ATM at the airport when my plane lands) I've only used traveller's checks once, during a 4 week vacation. they did come in handy, so if I go far away for more than a couple of weeks again, maybe I'll bring some :flowers:

I never take cash or cashier's check as well. I always use my CC or ATM(preferably). The exchange rate might not always be the best but it's easier and safer IMO.

And don't worry, ATMs are everywhere, including third world countries!! Just make sure you get cash when you leave a bigger city for a smaller one. I was in Vietnam and had no problems whatsoever.