when people TELL how much their stuff cost

kathyrose said:
I didn't think people do this! :wtf:

Oh yes. Quite a few people do this to me on a regular basis. Personally, I dont understand it. Especially when it is something that I already have. Hello, I bought it I think I would know how much it is. I am not sure if they do it intentially or not but it drives me NUTS! :wacko:

I don't offer any info. But I do like to do a fashion show of my purchases to my friends.. They don't ask how much my clothes cost and I don't tell. If I'm asked, i always lower the price than it actually costs...and people just look at me like i'm crazy :wtf: The only person i talk about my purchases to is my cousin who is just as crazy as I am. :drinks:

If a good friend of mine asks me the price of something, I'll usually tell her/him the price. If I know the person but not well enough, I usually just say I can't remember the price or it was a gift.

It is annoying though when I compliment someone's shoes or shirt or something and they feel the need to tell me where they bought their outfit and how much they spent on it. I usually just nod and smile and walk away when this happens.

kathleen said:
I am kinda guilty - but it is always a downplay. If someone tells me they like my skirt, I am pretty proud to tell them that I found it at Target. I would never brag about how expensive some thing was - my husband would kill me.

I absolutely downplay. All my tops are from Target/Old Navy and I can never recall the shoes I'm wearing. I have even gone as far to say my bag is a fake. I LOVE to spend money, but no one needs to know.

Yuck I hate when people brag about how much things cost them and they are more expensive things. The other night, my fiancee's brother and sister in law felt the need to tell us how much their used Yukon they just bought cost. Bleh!!! Its like, stop trying so hard!! LOL thanks for letting me vent!

I agree with you all, however...if you get something for a great bargain, telling the $ is a totally different story :smile:

Boy, I'm guilty of telling close friends and family when I do get a good deal on a sale and broadcast to them: "Ppl! 60% sale at Mango. Lookit my shirt, it's only $10, go down quick!" but it's cus I want them to get a good deal too. Sometimes it's a thrill to get more for less money spent! :smile:

But like what most of the others mentioned and have given examples of, brazenly bragging/flaunting wealth in an 'innocent' way is a sure way of asking to be cruxified IMO. >:smile: I have an acquaintance (Won't call her a friend) who likes to go all out of her way to tell ppl how much her bag and clothes cost.... e.g Oh... THIS old thing? It was cheap, I got it at $400 can you imagine what a bargain it was?

Biatch...

People just get very excited when they get a good deal. I love hearing their good deals and usually will ask where they got the deals so I can go down there and check it out myself! My aunt and I are like that towards each other. We'll call each other up when there's a huge sale going on and we'll also share our conquests later too with a huge smile on our face.

But ofcourse it's a whole different story if people start to brag about how expensive their bags actually cost for them...

i'm really guilty of this. :shame: my mom always broadcast prices when i was growing up (plight of the bargin shopper) and i didn't realize it was so offensive until a couple of years ago. i've been trying really hard to catch myself lately, but i still slip up a lot.

i don't get into prices with strangers unless they ask/bring it up but if it's someone i know well "how much was it" or "where did you get it?" is usually the first question after the initial "great/cute/fabulous *insert thing here*!" i'm also klutzy, so people always ask me why i get so freaked when i spill on myself or trip or something...which leads to "such and such was a little spendy..." "well how much is spendy?" blah blah blah.

my thought process is if someone i know complements me on something and they're asking me questions after the initial "great whatever"/"thanks!" exchange, they're obviously intrested in whatever it is. i like it when people help me narrow down my shopping. if something is way out of my price range i like to know it before i go searching for it. as long as it's done in an informative or downplayed way (i always feel quite sheepish and i'm sure i look that way too :shame:smile: and not in a LOOK WHAT I CAN AFFORD way i don't see the harm. although i guess it's probably hard to judge your own tone huh? :huh:

now that i know it's so offensive to everyone i'll work even harder to stop. so thanks...i bet my friends will thank you too.:yes::flowers:

I'm with the majority here. I don't mind if people tell me that they got it on sale I do this too sometimes but the big prices I keep to myself. I seem to forget the prices of my expensive bags immediately I'm out of the shop :smile: Better for my good nights sleep.

Tanja said:
I'm with the majority here. I don't mind if people tell me that they got it on sale I do this too sometimes but the big prices I keep to myself. I seem to forget the prices of my expensive bags immediately I'm out of the shop :smile: Better for my good nights sleep.

I wish I can do that too but sometimes I have this guilt in me when I look at my $1K bags... :angel::lol:

Usually when I get a good deal on clothes or shoes, I share them with my fav sister-in-law and my sister. I've noticed that sometimes people will volunteer too much info when I compliment them on something (I really don't mind)

KK said:
It's both tacky to ask about the costs or to offer the costs of purchases, except really good cheap bargains.

I totally agree, showing off about how much you've spent on something really shows a lack of class. I was also brought up not to ask how much things cost. However, I do love to hear peoples tales of a really good deal/bargain!

What I have found more insulting is when someone tries to tell me how much MY things cost. On another occasion, my brother gave his girlfriend an engagement ring and her sister took it upon herself to search online for a similar one to see what it may have cost. THAT is low class.