When did you start using a purse in school?

I think its stupid when a girl is carrying around not only a backpack but a purse as well. If you're going to carry your purse, bring only your purse. If you're going to carry your backpack, bring only your backpack. If your books and necessities don't fit in your purse, leave it at home.

If you're unsure about carrying your D&B, I don't think you are really ready to put your precious bag "in danger." Also, you may consider D&B to be precious but others may not so I wouldn't worry so much if I were you.

chibifry said:
I think its stupid when a girl is carrying around not only a backpack but a purse as well. If you're going to carry your purse, bring only your purse. If you're going to carry your backpack, bring only your backpack. If your books and necessities don't fit in your purse, leave it at home.

If you're unsure about carrying your D&B, I don't think you are really ready to put your precious bag "in danger." Also, you may consider D&B to be precious but others may not so I wouldn't worry so much if I were you.

See now, I find this totally opposite. I think if you have a purse big enough to fit books and notebooks, pens and pencils, calculator, folders, water bottle (college), etc. then that's not a purse, that's a bookbag. I think a purse should be just that, used to carry wallet, cell, keys, makeup. Most D & B's still cost well over 200 dollars and depending on what grade your in or what school you go to you do have to watch out for expensive things that you have that you want to keep nice. You know, kids can do stupid things.

I started carrying a LV (my mom's hand me down) in 7th grade to school and a Chanel (also hand me down) for special occasions. I carried my bag everywhere, except that I locked it in my gym locker during P.E.

Soon enough, all my money and make-up was stolen out of my LV out of my locker. The funny thing is that the thief didn't steal the bag!

I didn't carry a purse in school at all. I carried everything in my backpack. I'm trying to search my memory, but I don't remember any of my friends carrying a purse. There wasn't a need really-between my normal locker, my gym locker and my backpack, I had all the storage room I needed.

tr444 said:
See now, I find this totally opposite. I think if you have a purse big enough to fit books and notebooks, pens and pencils, calculator, folders, water bottle (college), etc. then that's not a purse, that's a bookbag. I think a purse should be just that, used to carry wallet, cell, keys, makeup. Most D & B's still cost well over 200 dollars and depending on what grade your in or what school you go to you do have to watch out for expensive things that you have that you want to keep nice. You know, kids can do stupid things.
I see where you're coming from.
I carry all of that, and I don't carry a bookbag. I carry a tote bag. I'm not sure if that should be considered a purse, but its certainly not a bookbag. I think a tote bag offers style, but it remains efficient as well.

I just think its especially silly to see junior high school girls carry backpacks to school and waving their purses around too.

chibifry said:
I just think its especially silly to see junior high school girls carry backpacks to school and waving their purses around too.

The kids I teach (7th & 8th grade) carry purses because our rooms are so small, they aren't permitted to take their backpacks from room to room. Their backpacks are strictly for taking books to and from home. The uniform skirts don't have pockets, so there's no place to put pens, pencils, tampons, etc. if you don't have a purse.

Now what I think is silly is that some of them are more expensive than my purse. :rolleyes: And they get left out in the open all the time with no worry of people going through them.

I started carrying one in 8th grade and a few days into it, I left one in an assembly. Hah. It was a black nylon gap purse I think I still have somewhere in my closet!

I started carrying purses in 7th or 8th grade. I found it a hassle to carry my books, calculator, planner, and pens/pencils in my hand so I started putting the smaller stuff in a purse.

Yeah, you should take it to school show it off. I remember my first D&B, I was so excited to take it to school and show all of my friends. I carried it around, I go to an all girl school so everyone has a purse.

Yep, it was 7th grade for me too! I had a chocolate brown gold clutch with a zip top and large gold buckle on the front flap. Guess you never forget your first :graucho: . My Mom got it for me and I think all I put in it at first was a mirror and comb before I needed, ahem, feminine products. OH and of course I sneaked makeup in it too to put on in the restroom when I got to school. Couldn't wear makeup until NINTH GRADE...what torture, LOL.