When did it become acceptable for buyers to negotiate?

I think the haggling is OK but it is when the buyers actually get rude and demanding that it crosses the boundary of acceptable behaviour. At a flea market, I bet none of these aggressive buyers would pull these tactics, it is alot easier to get rude when it is online and anonymous

I think the haggling is OK but it is when the buyers actually get rude and demanding that it crosses the boundary of acceptable behaviour. At a flea market, I bet none of these aggressive buyers would pull these tactics, it is alot easier to get rude when it is online and anonymous

:wtf: what I had in mind was 'here is my offer, what do you think?', not demands! I've never had anything like this happen to me before.

That is completely out of line.

I have to respectfully disagree that eBay is an online flea market. I don't sell garbage or giant bins of expired spices, or cheaply made cut-rate clothing.
I sell very hard to find, luxury handbags, often brand new.

So please don't be surprised if you are met with a curt refusal if you ever offer me $200 for a $10,000 item.

I have to respectfully disagree that eBay is an online flea market. I don't sell garbage or giant bins of expired spices, or cheaply made cut-rate clothing.
I sell very hard to find, luxury handbags, often brand new.

So please don't be surprised if you are met with a curt refusal if you ever offer me $200 for a $10,000 item.

Curt refusal for something that ridiculous is completely expected and required, but what about $50 off? Sometimes I do give bags away for about $50 lower.

I can't agree that it's not a flea market though... the ratio of luxury goods to random crap is about 1 to god knows what. You'd be surprised at what you'd find at a local flea market though...

I hate it when your item ends and then the offers for a ridiculously low price come flooding in. Especially when you've had a number of watchers because it feels like they've been watching and waiting for your item to end in the hope it won't sell and in desparation you'll accept $150 for a bag worth $1000 (seriously this has happened to me).

Funny, that just happened to me. In a way I was glad as auction was ending soon and I really wanted to sell (rather than return to store). I had a pair of CL's for sale. They were the ones that were selling for $280 (another big thread in the glass slipper). She wrote that she was getting married and could only afford to pay such and such. I told her yes that would be fine but she didn't end up buying them anyway.

I've been having a lot of these offers lately too. Usually I start the auction at the lowest price I'm willing to take so these usually don't work for me.

A new one for me was one of these people won one of my auctions after I turned down their offer (they asked nicely so I never blcoked them) and then proceeded to e-mail me everyday about a new problem and threatenting a Paypal claim unless I took care of things. Everything they complained about was in the listing so their threats didn't go very far. I still believe they were just trying to get a discount so that they got the item at the price they really wanted to pay; not what they won the auction for.

I've had quite a few lately as well. I had one buyer who was extremely pissed at me because I wouldn't offer him a $1,000 handbag for $250 - apparently he couldn't afford more. Not my problem!

Oh no! I'm half chinese, we haggle for everything sometimes except in department stores. Even then we ask if discounts are available. I am not basing this on stereotypes.

lol, oh sorry, i knew you were joking...i have a ex b/f that happens to be Jewish and he would say Indians are hagglers and I would look at him, and I would jokingly say, are we seriously going to have this conversation? :rolleyes:

I hate it when your item ends and then the offers for a ridiculously low price come flooding in. Especially when you've had a number of watchers because it feels like they've been watching and waiting for your item to end in the hope it won't sell and in desparation you'll accept $150 for a bag worth $1000 (seriously this has happened to me).

lol, this happens to me too...If I do contact a seller after auction end, it's because I legitly didn't see the auction until I looked in completed listings, and I just simply ask if they are going to relist or if the item is still available for sale.

Last week I had a $$$ item end with 20 watchers and 10 questions and not one bid, so I kind of was *****y and raised the price a bit when I relisted. LOL It's probably b/c secretly I want to keep the item anyways so oh well.

I've been in both situations -- have offered and have had offers. For the most part, I'm not comfortable offering unless there's a BIN or BO in the auction.

On the other hand, I'm open to reasonable offers for the things I sell. I haven't had many people stiff me and I've never stiffed anyone. Now that's rude!

One never knows until one asks and all the buyer can do is say no. I do think if a seller states "no offers" or something in the listing then it should be respected.

Haven't had it happen..if it's just a few dollars then no problem but if it's an expensive item, I don't see where people get off offering next to nothing for it.
It's like some people think it's a garage sale and anything higher than .25 is too expensive.

I loathe the sob stories. Sorry you can't afford it, but save up until you can or buy something cheaper.

I feel like I need to put in huge letters "I priced this as low as I can go, so please don't waste your time or mine by sending me offers for $20 for this bag. Thanks."

I think of ebay like any other store. I would never walk into a store and demand an item for cheaper than it's marked (caveat: price-matching policies that are firmly established business practices). I'm not into ebay to make a fortune or support charity cases. I want to get rid of some items and get out.

I'm seriously through with the stupid site as a buyer or a seller.

^Oh yeah I had to do that with my auction for this pair of shoes. They weren't expensive in the first place, I bought them for like $25 and wore them a couple of times...listed them for $9.99.
So this buyer takes it upon herself to email me asking if the shoes were real leather because otherwise, "$9.99 is too expensive for a pair of used man made material shoes." Uhhh...ok no one is making you bid.
So I put on my auction, "I priced these according to what I've seen other similar shoes sell for. If you think they're too expensive, please do not email me rude comments about my pricing!"

I was SO happy when they sold for about double what I started them at...it would have made me incredibly happy if that person had seen how much they went for.