When classic flaps reach $10k USD....

Luckily, I'm not an hermes fan either but I am a chanel fan. Luckily, I got all the sizes years ago from the boutique when they were all less than 4k! Mine have all lasted and is in excellent condition. I actually think the quality has improved from the 2012-2015 quality dip.

Btw:
I've been seeing/reading your posts in the golden goose forums/threads! I just purchased two. Can't wait to get them. One is more subtle and the other one is loud with glitter star and python heel. :smile:
There's a Golden Goose forum/thread? I LOVE them! I'll have to hunt that down. :smile:

Reactions: ashin121
Honestly, I couldn’t believe when I saw a jumbo is now $7400.00 USD. I remember a decade ago it was around $2600.00. I think people will purchase regardless of the price increases because of their love and loyalty to the brand and I think Chanel knows this. As the saying goes, the House always win.

The bummer is that by the time they reach 10k retail, the pre-loved market will of course also be high. So many who are willing to go that route will also be priced out.
Totally agree. I feel like the preloved market's higher price is what's driving the cost up . All these designer houses are probably doing a market analysis to see how much a mini or whatever purse is selling for on the preloved market and then marking it up because why not? If people are paying that price on the preloved market, it shows them that it's not an impossible price point.

Btw, just got my golden goose and posted a picture of it . Can't wait to wear them

The bummer is that by the time they reach 10k retail, the pre-loved market will of course also be high. So many who are willing to go that route will also be priced out.
I feel like the fashion house and pre-loved market are teaming low key to see how high prices can go without losing customers, and Chanel lovers are trapped in the middle of this :crybaby:

I am not looking to buy from the resale market the prices for the majority of bags on sale are not worth it at all! You either have to pay ridiculous mark up for a hot bag everyone is after or for a "vintage" piece the price is unreasonable. A lot of vintage bags are not desirable styles and are quite dirty and beaten up yet they still demand £1000s just because its "vintage". I would only consider buying from the resale market if the bag was in excellent condition and a reasonable price in a style or colour that was truly hard to find. As much as I will not pay $10k for a new classic flap I do rather prefer to buy new from the boutique if I can

Chanel could end up being one of those companies that prices itself out of favor with consumers. Lots of companies have tried the tactic of raising prices consistently without improving quality or services and (eventually) shoppers realize that and drift away from the brand. Chanel can't compete with H at that price level, the products are poorly made by comparison and people who can afford to drop 10K on a bag will know that. If their flaps get to 10K I would expect to see other things come along with it, like lifetime repair/support (like H and LV offer, basically), online shopping, and an improvement in quality and craftsmanship. Their sales model is already outdated, by not being online when every other company is is really bizarre in a global marketplace and e-commerce world. And lot of Chanel's success was due to Chanel herself and KL, so unless people really like their new designer the potential to lose a customer base is huge.

Chanel could end up being one of those companies that prices itself out of favor with consumers. Lots of companies have tried the tactic of raising prices consistently without improving quality or services and (eventually) shoppers realize that and drift away from the brand. Chanel can't compete with H at that price level, the products are poorly made by comparison and people who can afford to drop 10K on a bag will know that. If their flaps get to 10K I would expect to see other things come along with it, like lifetime repair/support (like H and LV offer, basically), online shopping, and an improvement in quality and craftsmanship. Their sales model is already outdated, by not being online when every other company is is really bizarre in a global marketplace and e-commerce world. And lot of Chanel's success was due to Chanel herself and KL, so unless people really like their new designer the potential to lose a customer base is huge.

I understand you completely and I thought that Chanel will lose out on sales during the pandemic since their stores are closed with no online store, but reading on these forums I realised that their bags are selling even more than ever before!
I dont imagine Chanel to improve the quality of their bags as they probably dont see any issue with the leather or stitching otherwise they would do a recall like Vuitton did.
People will still carry on buying the classic flaps and it will only make them more desirable. Most people who cannot afford $10k on a bag will look for vintage and the popularity of classic flaps will long reign.
I miss the days when I could walk into a chanel boutique to buy a bag especially a classic flap and there would be no hunt or rat race to get certain colours, no resellers taking them all, no instagram and no struggle to even see the bag in the first place. Back then classic flaps were not as trendy as they are now and most people were not even interested in that bag but this was almost 20 yrs ago lol

Agreed ! That Chanel is more desirable because of Chanel herself and KL but the new Creative Director is yet to release her creation!

Talking about vintage, i feel vintage bags are the most easily faked ones because it is not easy to authenticate !

Reactions: daisychainz
Chanel could end up being one of those companies that prices itself out of favor with consumers. Lots of companies have tried the tactic of raising prices consistently without improving quality or services and (eventually) shoppers realize that and drift away from the brand.
This.
This makes me recall what Mulberry tried in the past (please don’t hate on me Mulberry fans :flowers:)

Similar scenario played out with the Mulberry brand when years ago they tried to raise the prices like crazy (without subsequent improvement in quality) which alienated their core buyers.

I love Chanel but c’mon Chanel, if you are going to aim for 10K pricing, there had better be 24 k gold plated with amazing leather quality...:graucho:

that is CRAZY!
I have a new theory.... I THINK fashionphile mark up these bags like crazy. If someone buys it great! If not they will slowly discount the bag and people will 'think' theyre getting a good deal when in fact they are still paying WAY over price retail.
30% off this bag= 6895$usd which is STILL 1295$usd over retail

that is CRAZY!
I have a new theory.... I THINK fashionphile mark up these bags like crazy. If someone buys it great! If not they will slowly discount the bag and people will 'think' theyre getting a good deal when in fact they are still paying WAY over price retail.
30% off this bag= 6895$usd which is STILL 1295$usd over retail
Actually Chanel should do something about Fashionphile - i see these new mini rectangles with top handle and priced over 6000$ on fashionphile