What's your unpopular jewelry opinion?

1. Branded jewellery is way overpriced, gems‘ quality not superb and they are often heated/otherwise enhanced
...still buying branded though (have a soft spot for Pomellato *sigh*), I can’t help it :giggle:
2. Rolex is cheesy (ups!)
3. Why would you buy something that’s only 50% gold? (as in 14k) :confused1:

im not being serious guys! (or am I?:graucho:)

14k gold is not all that bad. Its very durable. I see beautiful hong kong setting jewelry and they are mistly 14k… 10k is even less gold and is not accepted in pawnshop. At least 14kisbeing accepted

Reactions: Bagatha Christie
I also dont understand prefering designer brand jewelry. Its not like people go around asking whats the label underneath the ring or something. Its not like bags where people may ask what brand is it. Jewelries are being complimented for the style rather than the brand. They will be more interested if its real gold or real stones. Im saying this but i am also attracted to high end jewelry. I feel like if i had to buy anything high end it should be jewelry as it will last longer than leather bags. So having this conflicting thoughts all the time is driving me crazy haha

Unpopular opinion regarding VCA onyx. (That’s the only Alhambra motif type I have outside of the guilloche) The onyx motifs are light and flimsy. I have the VA 5 motif bracelet and same size in the single pendant. I consider my onyx pieces more like accessories than fine jewelry per se, even though they are VCA and have the fine jewelry price tag. These Alhambra pieces are a far cry from my other pieces. I collect jewelry and have pieces from designers and luxe houses far and wide. I started collecting VCA last year to have pieces to coordinate with outfits, to accessorize primarily, but the Alhambra onyx just doesn’t feel like “fine jewelry” to me. The guilloche? Absolutely. Those pieces have heft. I love black, so I don’t care, but just being honest about the feel of these pieces compared to my other gold and platinum jewelry.
Agree. I bought and returned single motif onyx. Just didn’t feel like anything special although looks great on everyone. Much happier with gold !

I used to love VCA alhambra collection and perlee collection so much.. but after 1 year of being exposed to a lot of imitation listings online, it is waning my desire to pay full price in store for these.. esp the alhambra items... :sad: i will still love and enjoy the pieces i bought and will never buy imitations.. but i think i am moving towards Dior, Hermes or Chanel fine jewellery now as I find them less common, eg. I fell in love with Dior rose des vents collection (when i previously think they are severely overpriced and would rather buy VCA or Cartier or Tiffany).. i know these other brands may not hold their values well though- so i am hoping I dont regret in future!

Its kind of like me going for Chanel J12s instead or Rolex or Cartier watches.. the rationale part of me went out the window! :facepalm::facepalm::girlsigh: however, 1 year down the road i am still loving my J12s and wearing them daily on rotation. If i bought a rolex, it wld probably be sitting in storage because i find it doesnt match my casual dress sense/preference..

Agree. I bought and returned single motif onyx. Just didn’t feel like anything special although looks great on everyone. Much happier with gold !

I also have the VCA 5 motif MOP bracelet, and the guilloche YG 5 motif.. world of difference in weight! MoP feels very light and almost thin... but i love them nonetheless.. my vintage alhambra necklaces are now all from holiday series as they are weightier..

I start:

- Cartier Love Bracelets and JUC are ugly and not practical (you can't take them off? WTF!). They get quite ugly with time, they lose their shine.
- VCA Alhambra collection is ugly and plain Jane. Also, all the semiprecious stones are not practical, because they can't get wet.
- Most people only buy these collections because they are easily recognizable, not because they really like them.
- I suffer when I see people having lots of Alhambra, Love or JUC pieces, when for they same money they could have got a high-end, one-of-a-kind piece from any luxury designer.
- Ceramic jewelry pieces can't be considered fine jewelry.
Every single person has a love bangle, even more a Fake one.

I also find the usual stack or individual items (love, JUC, alhambra), as mentioned previously, to be getting old very quickly. It's all I see on social media. They are beautiful, if someone gifted me one I would wear it with delight, but they take very little imagination and I wouldn't purchase them myself. I would take some original Art Deco jewelry or something any day over the repetitive trends.

But it's interesting, because with handbags I am less picky about making imaginative, unique choices. It's still important to me, but the Chanel 2.55 or Classic Flap remain my favourite handbags of all time and they're quite ubiquitous.