What's your unpopular jewelry opinion?

Eh, whenever I post in this thread, I scroll back and invariably, I’ve posted the opposite and changed my mind a zillion times. But I have to say I love reading everyone’s contributions

so, I wish I could see some sentimental value to engagement rings, but DH never liked my first one (it was a hand me down from my MIL when she upgraded, and it was meant to be a stand in until we had the wherewithal and the idea for a more personal one down the road). I’ve lost a few since, and DH mistakenly threw out an engagement sapphire with newspapers one year. so I took to wearing a travel eternity band for a while. I also had some older family stones made into rings in case I felt like wearing that style. Then DH said he loved the idea of me wearing a Bulgari serpenti on either the pinky or ring finger better. So, now the other rings sit in the box.

i hate jewelry that moves and flips (but I love a vintage aquamarine pendant pin that does just that. And I wear my bracelets super large bc I like pushing them back when I type and bc it makes me feel thinner.

i love real jewelry and fashion jewelry. I will never own any carved chalcedony from Suzanne Belperrons licensed stuff by Verdura Belperron simply bc the stuff I love is 500K and up, so I adore my KJL legal inspired pieces.

i think The rules dont matter. Basically you do whatever works with your aesthetic. Last night I wore all my favorites (bulgari, Verdura Belperron plus a Foundrae chain and the pendant. I was going to wear a leopard coat with a big rhinestone pin too, but I decided I would get too warm. Then the serpenti bracelet (forgot to put on the viper ring that day) instead of a wedding or engagement ring, and the pins mixed with VCA necklace

i do agree with @lill_canele re VCA rock crystal, though I have a TPF friend who has the 20 motif RC and it looks great on her

View attachment 5369512View attachment 5369513View attachment 5369522View attachment 5369524View attachment 5369525

I'm screaming at how cool and beautiful you always look.

"Minimal, paired down, classic", all REALLY boring.
that quote that keeps getting thrown out that Coco Chanel apparently said "when you leave the house take 1 thing off"
no thanks, pretty sure I can fit another ring or bracelet in there. Boring doesn't get remembered.
Love this! I wear as much as my patience that day allows me. Some days I can pile it on, other days it aggravates me and I wear barely anything

I cannot *stand* costume jewelry from designers that costs hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars. Especially if it's literally just a logo and has nothing interesting to offer design-wise, like all those strass & brass pieces from Chanel, Dior, etc. Maybe it's because in my culture anything less pure than 18 karat gold is considered worthless and I have a hard time shaking that mentality... or maybe it's because the one time I bought a Chanel costume jewelry necklace it started painting my skin green as if I was auditioning for the part as Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello or even Michelangelo in a live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :sick:

I'd much, much rather have something non-branded from a local jeweler in solid gold.

I cannot *stand* costume jewelry from designers that costs hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars. Especially if it's literally just a logo and has nothing interesting to offer design-wise, like all those strass & brass pieces from Chanel, Dior, etc. Maybe it's because in my culture anything less pure than 18 karat gold is considered worthless and I have a hard time shaking that mentality... or maybe it's because the one time I bought a Chanel costume jewelry necklace it started painting my skin green as if I was auditioning for the part as Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello or even Michelangelo in a live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles :sick:

I'd much, much rather have something non-branded from a local jeweler in solid gold.
Chanel coatume jewelry are so expensive! Its like buying real gold. That is something i wont splurge either. Costume jewelries can discolor, can wear faster and you cant wear them everyday. I remember when that pearl earrings from dior was so popular and people started regreting it after few months of use. Now you can purchase same style with real south sea pearls which are cheaper than the original dior design

I don't like Apple watches. Dh has offered to get one for me a few times, he wears one, but I don't get the point...they pretty much all look alike except for the band. I still wear regular watches very frequently, because I like them. I have five old style watches and would consider purchasing more. lol.

I have never really liked white metal jewelry. It was something to wear occasionally for fun or a change, before I got married, but I prefer yellow gold. Yellow gold looks better on my skin. I have worn a ton of white metal jewelry over the years, because my original wedding set was white metal and since I did not like mixing metals when I was younger, I wore all white metals for a loooong time. As I have gotten older, I am fine mixing metals. I am now back to wearing mostly yellow metals and only wearing white metal occasionally for a change or I mix it with my yellow gold items.

I have never really liked tennis bracelets, I think because most I have seen are set in white gold. I do like yellow gold tennis bracelets, though. I would wear a yellow gold tennis bracelet, every day, with my jeans. lol.

I love "mood" jewelry, the kind people used to wear in the sixties! My older cousins had the fun mood rings back then. :heart: I have a necklace that is shaped like a turtle and a spinning band ring that changes colors deepening on your "mood." I picked both of these pieces up at marinas on different boat vacations. I only wear these out on the lake for fun. They remind me of my cousins when I was a little girl, they are nostalgic. I need to get a "mood" bracelet this summer to complete my "set." :lol:

There’s a big difference between Replica and Inspired.
Inspired is the exact same design, with quality materials, but no designer name. It may be made with different materials. A replica is a fake, and it has the logo or hallmarks of the company it is pretending to be.

I have a lot of issues with liars and fakes. I own a few inspired pieces and I love them. One necklace is a clover leaf, but it has gorgeous Edwardian-inspired wire-work with a scatter of diamonds, in platinum. It’s the same size as a VCA piece, but I think it’s much more interesting and lovely.

I don’t like white gold. It’s a poor imitation of platinum. I have a few white gold pieces, and every single one of them I wish were in platinum.

Ironically, vintage Van Cleef and Cartier diamond jewelry is more readily available in platinum. But everything contemporary from these two brands is basically nonexistent in platinum. I don’t wear my white gold pieces very often, because I can’t stand it when the plating starts to wear off.

I bought the VCA 2020 holiday pendant with the white gold guilloche, and when I put it next to my platinum pieces in my white metal section, I sigh. Will VCA ever introduce Alhambra in platinum? Like… I’m waiting.

I don’t like white gold. It’s a poor imitation of platinum. I have a few white gold pieces, and every single one of them I wish were in platinum.

Ironically, vintage Van Cleef and Cartier diamond jewelry is more readily available in platinum. But everything contemporary from these two brands is basically nonexistent in platinum. I don’t wear my white gold pieces very often, because I can’t stand it when the plating starts to wear off.

I bought the VCA 2020 holiday pendant with the white gold guilloche, and when I put it next to my platinum pieces in my white metal section, I sigh. Will VCA ever introduce Alhambra in platinum? Like… I’m waiting.

Yeah I won’t touch white gold because I don’t want to deal with plating rubbing off.