What's your unpopular jewelry opinion?

Unpopular opinion is that everyone seems to have the same jewellery as each other

If it’s a choice between two bracelets you can guess which it will be. If it’s the choice between two watches you can guess the brand.

I don’t know if people with more unique or less expensive jewellery are afraid to speak up much because people gush over the Cartier/VCA stacks, or if the forum mostly attracts people who can afford to spend thousands (yes, even just once), on jewellery instead of a house deposit or rent or car payment or vet bill. But the same stuff seems to dominate for sure.

I don’t know if there are many like me who have no income themselves (I’m disabled and autistic), and whose partner only earns as much as I’ve seen on a single wrist.
One of the reasons for not sharing unique pieces on the net is so they don't get copied or in some cases with rare pieces...might even lead to becoming identified, which could be a security risk.

One of the reasons for not sharing unique pieces on the net is so they don't get copied or in some cases with rare pieces...might even lead to becoming identified, which could be a security risk.

I didn’t explain myself very well. I didn’t mean unique as in one off piece. I just meant less common than what’s usually shared. Other designers or finds at an antique shop or local jewellers. Not bespoke.

The overloaded stacking of multiple Love + JUC + Alhambra + $$$$$ watch. I guess for me, it doesn’t look interesting. This monster stack combo is almost like a standard uniform for people who like high end designers. Just wearing one has a bit more special presence than multi.

Sometimes when I’m out shopping IRL, I see another group of women rocking their high end goodies and all would have their Love stacks on. :doh: It’s just too same-same.

Revisiting not getting the VCA rock crystal, I feel the same way about the porcelain pieces. Even adding a diamond "chip" doesn't make it "worth" it IMO.
And let's be honest..........MOP, onyx, etc aren't exactly high end materials either

ETA this is the crystal that started it all :love:

View attachment 5299467View attachment 5299468
This is a bombass ring! ❤️

I didn’t explain myself very well. I didn’t mean unique as in one off piece. I just meant less common than what’s usually shared. Other designers or finds at an antique shop or local jewellers. Not bespoke.

There are a couple of threads. I believe there is one for discussing animal jewelry pieces and another for high jewelry pieces.
The animal one is quite nice. https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/animal-jewelry.1044408/

Sort of an opinion of mine, but on this forum I'd usually prefer to have a discussion regarding a specific topic or product. And there is a lot of discussion generated from the very well-known brands and pieces like the Cartier love, JUC, rolex etc. And it's that back and forth interaction with others that I find to be the most engaging and interesting, especially when they lead to other topics and discussions, that's where the real fun begins!;)
On the other hand, I've found that when people post less common or more obscure items. It becomes more like a show and tell. Not much discussion get generated from it, some likes here and there and a nice comment or 2. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. It's very nice to see what other interesting things people get and it gives less common items more exposure. However, it is a very short lived thread/post that nobody really goes back to at a later point in time.
For example, I like buying random antique German and Soviet Union watches made from the 60s-80s. But I don't really feel the need to show them nor do I think they will generate much discussion on this forum. (though I may be wrong, no idea lol). I also don't want to keep on posting things and feel like I'm spamming everyone haha. Alluding to @Christofle , generally my more unique pieces are also actually more expensive so sometimes I do think that showing less items is better in the long run. (which is also not really reserved for just unique/special pieces, now that I think about it, I don't share everything I buy on TPF) Just for privacy and security reasons. :smile: Honestly, I would LOVE to show my random unique pieces as they are very meaningful to me, but I'd rather not take the risk on the internet. :cool:

Unpopular opinion regarding VCA onyx. (That’s the only Alhambra motif type I have outside of the guilloche) The onyx motifs are light and flimsy. I have the VA 5 motif bracelet and same size in the single pendant. I consider my onyx pieces more like accessories than fine jewelry per se, even though they are VCA and have the fine jewelry price tag. These Alhambra pieces are a far cry from my other pieces. I collect jewelry and have pieces from designers and luxe houses far and wide. I started collecting VCA last year to have pieces to coordinate with outfits, to accessorize primarily, but the Alhambra onyx just doesn’t feel like “fine jewelry” to me. The guilloche? Absolutely. Those pieces have heft. I love black, so I don’t care, but just being honest about the feel of these pieces compared to my other gold and platinum jewelry.

I bother to wear synthetics because I have done my research, looked at the science, and found the results convincing. There's varying quality in everything, but it is indisputable that your average lab grown stone will be better quality than its average natural counterpart, and generally (not always) more environmentally friendly (and more ethical overall) than natural mined stones. I get that people like natural for the romantic and traditional element it has, and that's completely fine, but I personally don't subscribe to that way of thinking. Gemstones are just pretty rocks for me, they're minerals, as long as chemical/optical/physical properties are the same, and the stone is good looking and durable, I couldn't care less if they were grown in the earth or in a lab. This doesn't mean I don't buy or wear natural at all, and there are some stones, like opals or other gems with interesting patterns (like salt and pepper diamonds), that simply are not as pretty when artificially made. I have plenty of natural jewellery, but generally I buy second hand (unless I know where the stones come from, so I know they're ethically sourced). If I just want a clear stone with a pretty colour, synthetic is the best choice imho.
Great explanation!!!!!!!

I agree with many others that the standard love + JUC + Alhambra stack is just... boring. I do feel like some people aren't that into jewellery but they like luxury and status so they just buy whatever is hyped up. I personally don't get the point of spending thousands of dollars on a plain gold bangle but that's just me - it's not my personal style.

Someone previously said they think pearl studs are boring and while I used to agree with that, I've really gotten into pearls lately. Now that I'm in my mid-20s I'm into really classic pieces and I've actually found that pearl studs look awesome. If you get sizeable and high-quality pearl studs with lots of lustre, you will look so classy and stunning. You just have to find the right colour to suit you. Pink pearls are whatever on me but white pearls are magnificent because they stand out so much from my dark hair.

I personally think those tiny gold hoops everyone wears nowadays are blah. Either you commit to full-sized hoops or don't wear them at all! The only Huggie hoops I like are those encrusted in diamonds. Subtle but makes a statement at the same time.

I used to laugh at people (to myself) who bought those tiny floating diamond necklaces, where the diamond looks like a speck of dust. They called it classy and minimalist while I thought it just made them look like they were trying to look luxe but couldn't afford a diamond that was actually visible (nothing wrong with that, just wear another style). Now that I'm in my mid-20s I actually see the appeal of a tiny floating diamond necklace and I am having one made for myself right now! My biggest fear is actually that it will be too big! I really want the dainty look. Still think that something like 0.03 carat is a speck of dust and you should go bigger or save up until you can. But at the same time I see 0.25 carat floating diamonds and think "oh no - that's much too big!" That's just for the look I'm going for though

Anywho, this just proves that everyone has different opinions, style, etc. And you may feel one way right now but who knows what you will be into in the future. Age tends to push us towards more classic styles with higher quality materials. So I'm not going to judge people my age and younger who waste all their money on these insta-fashionable gold plated jewellery brands. In a few years when it all turns green (which all of mine did!) they will learn that they need to invest in quality. And as they age they will actually have more means to invest in fine jewellery, let's not forget about that. It's not a generational issue so much as a youth issue.

I don’t like it when engagement rings & wedding bands have exactly the same band. They just blend it to make one big thick ring.

I don’t like princess diamonds.

(Can you tell I’ve been looking at engagement rings recently :biggrin:)
I know what you mean! When my husband proposed to me, I started looking for wedding bands. He told me that he had a matching wedding band to coordinate with my e ring. I love it, but I agree, it does look like a thick band and I would have preferred a simpler wedding band of simply white or rose gold
I agree with this opinion!

- As much as everyone loves cuban or paperclip chains, my favourite style is box chain.
- I love the look of two classic Love bracelets stacked together.
- If I can't buy 18k gold, I'd rather buy 18k gold fill than 9k, 10k or 14k solid gold. Strange, I know.
- I prefer to wear one necklace/pendant at a time than stack.
- I don't believe in having a big jewellery collection, as it becomes more valuable and treasured to you than a larger collection, for example.

There are a couple of threads. I believe there is one for discussing animal jewelry pieces and another for high jewelry pieces.
The animal one is quite nice. https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/animal-jewelry.1044408/

Sort of an opinion of mine, but on this forum I'd usually prefer to have a discussion regarding a specific topic or product. And there is a lot of discussion generated from the very well-known brands and pieces like the Cartier love, JUC, rolex etc. And it's that back and forth interaction with others that I find to be the most engaging and interesting, especially when they lead to other topics and discussions, that's where the real fun begins!;)
On the other hand, I've found that when people post less common or more obscure items. It becomes more like a show and tell. Not much discussion get generated from it, some likes here and there and a nice comment or 2. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. It's very nice to see what other interesting things people get and it gives less common items more exposure. However, it is a very short lived thread/post that nobody really goes back to at a later point in time.
For example, I like buying random antique German and Soviet Union watches made from the 60s-80s. But I don't really feel the need to show them nor do I think they will generate much discussion on this forum. (though I may be wrong, no idea lol). I also don't want to keep on posting things and feel like I'm spamming everyone haha. Alluding to @Christofle , generally my more unique pieces are also actually more expensive so sometimes I do think that showing less items is better in the long run. (which is also not really reserved for just unique/special pieces, now that I think about it, I don't share everything I buy on TPF) Just for privacy and security reasons. :smile: Honestly, I would LOVE to show my random unique pieces as they are very meaningful to me, but I'd rather not take the risk on the internet. :cool:

I would love to see your Cold War jewellery!

I'd be happy to discuss it with you forever :yes:

I find most vca pieces so overpriced and very delicate. I can understand buying some tiffany pieces or cartier even though I know I can get more from local jewelers. But i dont understand the appeal of some vcas especially that malachite ones when it can easily be demaged. Id rather go for inspired ones whic uses real gold and materials and cheaper. Its one brand i wouldnt buy original. And im not one to support fake so thats saying something. If ever ill buy vca it will be the all gold ones but the price is too outrageous for me