what's your decorating style? *pictures encouraged! :)*

I love the asian-inspired Japanese shinto styles. I just got a new living room set, so I will post pics when it arrives later in the new year!

I love dark browns & earthy tones and rich reds!

You might love his designs... His clients are Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. When hubby and I saw his designs we talked about buying his furniture once we build a house in the Philippines.... someday :smile: Anyway, they are all beautiful. Kenneth Cobonpue

Our house is a mix between contemporary and traditional pieces. We haven't really invested on expensive furniture. It looks a mess now that my little girl set up camp right smack in the middle of our living room. Not to mention her toys sprawled in all the other rooms.

DH and I have lived in our current house for 9 years, and I don't have a single picture hanging. It took me 8 years to buy a rug for the family room. I'm seriously challenged in the decorating department.

I prefer a modern look but not cold or sterile looking. Mid-century furniture, more monotone colors, clean lines. Though, I'm probably more into the design of a home rather than the decoration. A mixture of a Frank Lloyd Wright/Mies van der Rohe kind of aesthetic. I already have lots of ideas of my future home in my head, but SO grew up with chintz so I'll probably have to compromise some. . .:P

Don't have pics at the time as we are in the process of moving........again. :rolleyes: Iddywho, my style is comtempory. Love the lines and just the overall look of it. Like something out of Metropolitan Home (the magazine).

An architect once told me to only use colors that flatter my skin and hair, especially in the bedroom and bathroom.

Very basic. Very important information.

Vegas gave you good advice, especially about using magazines to learn the styles you like.

Christopher Lowell is excellent. His book about 7 layers is a terrific place to start.

Took some pictures this afternoon of our place...We just moved in nearly 2 months ago, but haven't really decorated yet. There are hardly any pictures on the wall or anything :smile:

Anyway, on we go!!

Living Room:

000bg5gc

000bhpy9

000bkk56

Sofa, Loveseat & TV Chair are from La-Z-Boy, Coffe table & TV stand are from Ikea and the China Cabinet is from...American Home?? IDK, don't remember the name - but I remember we had a hell of a time finding a store that had it in stock! :smile:

I will upload Hallway, Kitchen and Bedroom soon!

Kitchen:

My mom had a big kick for all-things-Amish a while back, so we've aquired a lot of Amishy things like pictures, small ceramic pieces, and wall hangings. You can see those in the picture showing our table/breakfast/eating area..

000bpecs

000bqg49

Hallway:

Not much to see in the hallway. We've got a piece of old furniture on one side of the wall that we haven't figured out what we want to replace it with. On the other side of the hallway, we've got a handmade piece from Pennsylvania Dutch...The little slots are where you store your wine bottles! :biggrin:

000bsecs

My Bedroom:

My bedroom is basically all Ikea stuff :smile: I like things a little bit more simple. At first, I wanted a bed in a dark finish, but after not being able to find a nightstand that would fit with it and a closet that I could afford (1000EUR was too much for me!) I decided on what I have now :smile: I still need to buy a TV Cabinet..but haven't found one yet that I like, so as of now the TV is sitting on an old toy chest, lol. Excuse the mess!!

000btsc1

000bwy47

000bxp94